X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken headlight adjusters

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 07:07 AM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Broken headlight adjusters

While trying to replace a failed low beam bulb I noticed that my adjusters are broken on both sides. Some BMWs have similar crappy design, and I've done this repair on my M5. I've reviewed some YouTube videos and have ordered parts from England through eBay. Anybody have any additional tips? BTW that headlight bulb was fused to the socket, so I'm having to replace the socket too.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:27 AM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

....headlight bulb was fused to the socket, so I'm having to replace the socket too.
Some folks replace the socket with a ceramic one and avoid any future problems

Old 11-09-2016, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

I recently did the adjuster replacement on my 2002 X-type. The bumper cover removal was pretty straight forward as well as the headlight assembly removal. I did not have to heat the assemblies to get them apart. I just pried gently and cut away the silicone sealing the haves together. The parts for mine came from Poland and worked perfectly.
The only problem I encountered was the plug for the front fog lights. It took some head scratching and a bright light to figure out how it unsnapped, but a couple of cold beers later it was unplugged.
The inner wheel arch covers have a few push rivet pins and can be picked up at most auto parts stores so it doesn;t matter if they are damaged in removal.
If you need some tips on the bumper cover removal just give me a PM.

The following users liked this post:
swingwing (11-09-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 05:18 PM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Just replaced the adjusters for my 2002 x type with the $50 kit from Poland. I would recommend spending the extra $5 and also get the adjustment gears in the newer ($55) kit. A heat gun is definitely useful getting the lens off the housing (I think that they get paid by the gallon for silicon used to seal the cover lens to the housing.. lol).

This is also an excellent time to clean and polish the cover lens while it is off the car. You may want to consider checking your fog lights, high beam and running lights while you have the bumper cover off.

The following users liked this post:
swingwing (11-09-2016)