X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building an Endurance Racer

Old 06-23-2017, 05:34 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Here is the video the organizers created after the race. It has a feature on our team and had a couple shots of the Jag on and off the track. Our part focuses more on the Nissan as it had a rough weekend. Also gives a glimpse into Lemons racing.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:28 PM

Our team has been officially accepted to the NJMP race again this year. In the two races the Jag has run it has finished but, although did have some time off track for repairs. This race we are taking two cars and running 6 drivers between them. I hope to get 2 hour stints out of the Jag and the possibility of running high in C class and the top half of the field. In a couple weeks we are going to change fluids and replace wheel studs that broke in the last race. Other than that it should be ready to go.

Old 04-06-2018, 12:22 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice! Keep us updated on dates - I know I'll try to get down for one or two.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by chknhwk
Nice! Keep us updated on dates - I know I'll try to get down for one or two.
Practice/tech is May 11 and the race is the 12 &13th at NJMP Thunderbolt. As always you'll be able to follow our process on Race Monitor.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Good luck!

Old 04-16-2018, 08:44 PM

Finally the weather broke a little here and we were able to get the car race ready. We replaced some wheel studs that broke last race, replaced all lug nuts with aftermarket Toyota ones, ran Sea Foam through the engine, changed oil, and replaced coolant with water. It's nice to have a car that's proving reliable with just regular maintenance needed. Here's a couple pictures.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:02 AM

We hadn't driven the car except for moving in storage since last year. We changed the brake pads for this race and noticed the rear passenger side line had rusted through. Replaced that section and proceeded to bleed the brakes but struggled. So we decided to drive it and panic stop to get the bubbles moving. That's when we discovered the car was in limp mode. Ran the codes and a bunch came up so I cleared them. What returned was a p0037 and p1646 which are the bank 1 o2 sensors. Replaced them which wasn't easy and now it drives forward great. Still doesn't stop but a guy on the team took today off to work on that issue. We are doing practice tomorrow in it with the race this weekend. Worst case scenario we'll coast to a stop, lol.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:03 PM

It's race weekend and we took the Jag out for practice. Fortunately we did as we discovered a CV axle that was on it's way out. Part is on the way and expect to be racing tomorrow.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:18 PM

It took forever to find the axle, but we have it in and the car seems ready to go. Saturday is supposed to be 87 and sunny all day. Sunday not as nice at expected 57 and rain.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:27 AM

Race weekend update. We discovered a bad a axle the night before the race. Swapped it out and started Saturday morning. Car was running great and 6th in class. Then a rock went through the radiator shooting temperatures up. We lost two hours of time Saturday as a result. We thought we had it back together right Sunday, but a transmission cooler hose w would not properly attached and the transmission deactivated. Fixed the hose and added fluid losing about 1.5 hours. The car ran the fastest laps of the weekend after that but we lost too much time off track. It was a blast and my teammates fell in love with the car. It finished with lap times similar to my 3.8 Firebird.

The following 2 users liked this post by Lemons Racer:
adrianvcv (09-23-2019), Jag4 (06-11-2020)
Old 05-26-2018, 11:32 AM

It is time to prep for our next race which is the weekend of June 30th. Fortunately there isn't too much to do as the car is running great. We also only have 3 drivers running so only enough money for entry fees and general race prep. Meaning I do have an extra spot. We are racing at Gingerman in South Haven, Michigan this time around if someone is interested.

I vowed to never let a rock go through the radiator again so I got a scrap piece of steel mesh that I used for a windshield in an emergency one race and welded it to the bumper. Then I took some aluminum window screen and zip tied that to it. Should never have anything go through it again.

I also found that on the roadkill website they have an app that you put in your car and they tell you all the cars that have rims that would fit. It's fantastic! So I bought a Lincoln LS rim which is 16x7 and it fit perfectly. Logically pretty much most Ford, Volvo, Jag, and Land Rover fit.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:23 AM

Race weekend is here! Added some Lincoln LS rims that are 7" with some 225 tires. Should help a bit. Biggest issue this weekend is near 100 degree temperatures.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Good luck and go get 'em!

Old 06-29-2018, 04:39 PM

We got placed in C class with 0 penalty laps. Happy about that as it gives us a chance to be competitive. We plan on running 2 hour stints so long as the heat doesn't get to us.

The following users liked this post:
Jag4 (06-11-2020)
Old 06-29-2018, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Geez louise that's an awfully young pit crew!! :-) :-) :-)

Old 06-30-2018, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
Geez louise that's an awfully young pit crew!! :-) :-) :-)
How do you know they aren't the drivers?

Old 06-30-2018, 09:30 AM

Lol! Currently running 2nd in class and 29th overall. We do not have a cool suit though. Frozen water bottles in the suit might be in order.

adrianvcv (09-23-2019)
Old 07-01-2018, 07:27 PM

Finished Saturday running 4th in class. Then we lost the top of the battery somehow with 5 minutes left in the 9 hours. This burned up the kill switch. We got the repair done in the morning. Denise started out Sunday followed by Cliff. They did great until Cliff came in with brake loss. The front passenger caliper had fused to the little bit that remained of the pad. Caliper was cooked and we were unable to source another one which ended our day. Still an awesome weekend of racing!

Good news for X-Type owners is the transfer case and transmission held up through 9 straight hours of racing with no issues. So far most of the X-Type off track time has been due to human error or just bad luck. Proving to be a great car.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lemons Racer
Finished Saturday running 4th in class. Then we lost the top of the battery somehow with 5 minutes left in the 9 hours. This burned up the kill switch. We got the repair done in the morning. Denise started out Sunday followed by Cliff. They did great until Cliff came in with brake loss. The front passenger caliper had fused to the little bit that remained of the pad. Caliper was cooked and we were unable to source another one which ended our day. Still an awesome weekend of racing!

Good news for X-Type owners is the transfer case and transmission held up through 9 straight hours of racing with no issues. So far most of the X-Type off track time has been due to human error or just bad luck. Proving to be a great car.

Hey!
your thread really helped me!! I’m planning on making the jag a Track day car, I have a 3.0 manual and was very scared for the transfer case, but it seems that yours is doing just fine so I might just change the oil. Will keep updated on the project as well!!

Jag4 (06-11-2020)
Old 09-23-2019, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by adrianvcv
Hey!
your thread really helped me!! I’m planning on making the jag a Track day car, I have a 3.0 manual and was very scared for the transfer case, but it seems that yours is doing just fine so I might just change the oil. Will keep updated on the project as well!!
We've run a couple races since this one. The car has yet been able to complete an entire weekend straight through. Last two races we've had issues with front wheel bearings. I think it's likely due to the rear tires being wider than the front, despite having the same diameter.

However, it does hold it's own on track and I feel confident we will get a class win eventually. I have a kid in college now so the next race for this car will probably be June, 2020.

Feel free to reach out for help. Not too many guys racing these. Where are you out of? What kind of racing are you planning on?

Jag4 (05-29-2020)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Building an Endurance Racer