X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying an X-type estate

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 04:24 PM
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Buying an X-type estate

The time has come to replace my wife's eldely CRV. The sensible thing to do would be to buy a newer lower mileage CRV. It would suit her needs perfectly and be no bother at all.

However, I didn't get where I am today by being sensible so I'm think a petrol X-Type wagon would be more fun. Having 2 Jags is very appealing.

In terms of buying one, none of the online guides suggest many issues but forums tend to be a bit more real world. Are there any big issues to watch out for? E.g. auto box issues or any real showstoppers?

Old 06-28-2017, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me Too

Hi:
I just bought one a couple months ago and it has been fine. It is a 2006 with 170,000 miles and it was in real good condition and inexpensive.
There was something funny in the auto transmission and I was annoyed to find out there was no dipstick to check the fluid. It took me a while to find someone to look at the transmission, and it took him some time to find some ATF that was 1/3 the price of the Jaguar brand. By the time I got the car to the shop the funny behavior in the transmission had pretty much disappeared.
"Adaptive Shifting Transmission" means there is a computer that is trying to help you while you drive and they say it has to adapt to your driving style. I suspect that was the source of the funny behavior. There was no harm in getting some fresh AFT for the transmission, it can only help.
Otherwise I say just think about all the normal issues for buying a used car.
Patent US7653469 - Automatic transmission shift point control system and method of use - Google Patents is the most detailed explanation of the transmission "adaption" that I have found.

I like the style inside and out. There is very little choice of colors.
Good luck,
P.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by keithyboy
The time has come to replace my wife's eldely CRV. The sensible thing to do would be to buy a newer lower mileage CRV. It would suit her needs perfectly and be no bother at all.

However, I didn't get where I am today by being sensible so I'm think a petrol X-Type wagon would be more fun. Having 2 Jags is very appealing.

In terms of buying one, none of the online guides suggest many issues but forums tend to be a bit more real world. Are there any big issues to watch out for? E.g. auto box issues or any real showstoppers?
I have owned a 2005 wagon (3.0 litre) for years without a single problem. It is a beautiful, reliable, comfortable car. There are no major issues but indeed it is always a good idea to start with fresh fluids (transmission, transfer case and engine) - and make sure that the air cooling duct for the transfer case is in place (it is probably missing but is easily replaced).

Old 06-29-2017, 12:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 2005 S-Type Estate for a few years. The only problem it had was the transfer case went out. Cost $3200 to get it replaced. Otherwise, it was error free and a pleasure to drive. I would have rather had a 5-speed stick which I have now in an S-Type.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:31 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I agree! Having two Jags. is very appeal and fun, Now I'm repair my Red 04 X-Type, and am trying to get a XJ, I will get the vanity plates: "JAGSR" and "JAGJR" or "BIGBROJAG" and "LITBROJAG". What do you guy think?

The following users liked this post:
keithyboy (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 09:21 AM
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

How common are DMF issues on diesel manual cars?