X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c-pillar upholstry repair

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c-pillar upholstry repair

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I purchased my 2004 3.0L x-type new and have alsways loved the car. It is beginning to show some very minor signs of age.

In paticular the c-pillar trim fabric has separated from the backing and is hanging toward the rear window. I have removed the a-pillars and re-glued the fabric when it began to separate but, the rear c-pillars have a big airbag emblem and I am a little worried to just pull them off and cause an issue with the airbags. Am I being to cautious? Or, is there a concern with the c-pillar trim removal? Any advice would be helpful.

I appreciate your help in advance.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

The C pillar trim is just a cover, so if it is removed properly there should be no problem with the airbag behind it. However, common sense would say disconnect the battery while doing the job!

If your rear seat backs are not of the 70/30 split type that lower, the first job is to remove the seat squab. To do this, the front edge of the seat should be lifted firmly and sharply at each side to release the two metal loops on the seat from their white plastic clips. (Mine were too tight and I finished up cutting the plastic away and replacing with new - not expensive in UK!)
Then remove the seat back - remove the two brackets at the lower edge and the centre safety belt buckle; lift the seat back vertically up to free it.

If the 70/30 split type, it just needs to be lowered - no need to remove the squab.

Next the padded bolsters on each side need to be freed - they're held in by two fancy clips near their top end. With a small screwdriver or such, the tang between the seat and the bodywork has to be rotated about 90 degrees to release them. The bolsters will then pull forward sufficiently to get access to the fixing holding the bottom of the C pillar trim piece. When this is removed, the C Pillar panel should be carefully removed from its retaining strap that is hooked on behind it.

Hope that's enough detail!! Good luck!

Last edited by astromorg; 12-04-2012 at 04:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
danog (12-10-2012)