X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Service...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Service...

Still got that issue with my A/C. Sometimes it blows cold sometimes it blows warm, but lately its mostly blowin warm. Ive stopped any checked it a few times and it seems that the compressor is running. On different occasions Ive seen the water puddle...but Im driving so Im not able to check it. I switched the relay with the power wash relay since its the same, but no change... Unless anyone has any more ideas I havent checked it gonna need some service...

Thanks,

Old 09-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default RE: A/C Service...

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  7.4 KB

Maybe time to get your system recharged Andersen?
Its not overly expensive!
Jim

Old 09-07-2007, 08:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure wher this item is, but here goes. had similar issue. then while i ran the car through a touchless wash, it got very hot in cabin with vapors poring from the vents then cold, maybe something gets dirty or clogged with a sensor and needs cleaning. sounds like i'm crazy but worked for me, and yes from what i've seen recharge is relatively cheap. sidebar is there a special coolant or can you go to your local car parts guy(auto zone, pep boys) and buy recharge kit. this would ave you a ton if you so inclined. good luck,Bill

Old 09-07-2007, 03:52 PM

I planned on washing it today, maybe Ill get lucky...

Old 09-08-2007, 12:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i was thinkin of recharing my system too. It blows cool air, just not cold enough. With the high temps we had here in So Cal last week, I needed the A/C bad....im going to buy a few cans and recharge.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:05 AM

I gave it a wash, it didnt do that vapor thang, but it did seem to blow cooler. But maybe it was just my imagination...

Old 09-09-2007, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine did it and the coolant was all there...once I replaced that relay when it blew my a/c was fine....sometimes thought it does pop in and out of the nice clean air and back into humid smelly air. I know for a fact that there is the recommended amount of refrigerant...my guess is it has to be a sensor or switch somewhere...good luck finding it though!

Old 09-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine has been working lately. I have the same exact problem that you all have here. During the beginning of the summer, it blew warm more than cold. Now, it blows cold for the most part.

I say we all put money in a pot, one person takes their car to get diagnosed, and we can all solve the problem

Old 09-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member

The only problem with that is the car won't do it when we pay whomever to go in and than we still wont have the problem solved and we all would be out the money!!! Like you said though mine works more cold than hot just once in a great while does it not work...oh well!

Old 03-16-2008, 11:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I think I need to recharge my AC this summer. Last summer I barely made it through with only "cool" air. I'd turn the AC on, and the air would get only cool, not ice cold like AC should be. So my back gets all sweaty since the leather is like 3000*F after sitting in the sun.

I recharged my mom's van w/ a kit from autozone last summer and it worked great. I want to do the same for my jag. Where exactly do I find that hose with the capped attachment point so I can connect the Recharge kit?

Old 03-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

The charging ports are both next to each other right behind the passenger front strut tower.

Are you sure yours is low? Maybe the recirc door not closing?

On another note - don't just go ***** nilly adding refrigerant to your a/c system. To much can be far more deterimental to the system than too little. If it is overcharged, it will also blow warm.

Only real problem with X-Type a/c compressors is clutch falling off or it leaking or internal wear. Never had one yet with a pressure switch problem.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:14 AM

I purchased a recharge kit from kmart last summer in buffalo (dont have one in Canada) while i was cross border shopping. I got a kit, dotn remember the name but it was in a blue box for about $20 or $25 and it came with a can of oil, stop leak and refredgerant aswell as cool looking hose thingy with a guage on it and soem connectors. I used it on my sunfire but the problem becomes that with these kits you need to empty your system first, then add oil stop leak and refredgerant.

Well while using these kits if you do not empty your system as soon as you tap in a can of oil or stop leak your system moves into the overcharged range too easily and you do not have room to add the refredgerant. It would be much easier to go to a ac repair facility and have them look at it.

9 times out of 10 its a messed up condensor or clutch. But if it does turn out you have a leak and wanna take a chance you could do what I did in my sunfire. Keep a can of the refredgerant and the hose in your trunk. On really hot days when you need the ac just pop your hood and fill untill its full then close the valve and store it in your trunk for next time. This was good for me since a can costs between $4-$10 depending on the brand and size.

Im pretty sure many would frown upon this idea of storing a tapped can of refredgerant in your trunk... well then stop being a cheap *** and go pay and get it fixed or roll down those windows...lol

Old 03-17-2008, 12:35 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

A/C systems are tricky..Barring any mechanical or sensor problems..If it is a leak, you will always have a leak and look forward to topping it off often, until you fix it..Along with some leaks,(Especially the High side), you will loose oil, and there is a delicate balance between enough oil and too much oil for the compressor...Now a completely flat system, will require system evacuation to 29" to 30"of vacuum after you find and fix the leak for about 30 minutes and that it holds that vacuum...This process removes noncondensables (air and moisture)that has been sucked into the system through the leak as it went flat ..(typical leaks on automobile systems are around the compressor main shaft seal..others are typically mechanical fittings or condenser perferation due to road debris, (i.e., TEV, Filter/dryer/receiver, hose to metal tube connections, etc. look for oil and dirt accumulations at the leak area.)

Once the system has been evacuated and leaks fixed..the charging of R134a is also very critical in the amount of refrigerant added...A pre-measured amount is always the best method using a Dial-a-Charge cylinder..The Vacuum would suck in about every Oz. you will need before you should ever start the car..and then maybe a little running of the system to get the rest in....High side and Low side pressure method is okay if you know exactly what you are doing..(speed of engine, outside and inside ambient temps.,air across the condenser and evaporator, etc...A lot of variables to work with)..If these X-types had a liquid receiver sight glass, that would make it easier.

So just to arbitrarily dump in an amount of refrigerant not knowing exactly how much is missing, is a crap shoot and you may end up damaging the compressor.

And Last..Always purge your charging hoses and maifold gauges of airwith refrigerant before you begin charging the system.

So you thought changing the ATF was tough?

BTW..I've beenteaching thermal dynamics and refrigeration principles for the past 17 years.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:24 PM

LOL Dennis. Great explanation.
X-Types just to put it out there dont have expansion valve. They use fixed orifice tube. Anytime you replace compressor, change the orifce tube.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:43 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry, but why not just add the dye before going about charging systems and all. Dye kits are really cheap and pretty easy to detect whether you have a leak or not.

Also, recharging for shiz and giggles w/a leak is pretty eco-unfriendly as bo pointed out.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:50 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The Ozone hole thing is Bull ****...Plain and simple, drummed up by a bunch of evironmental wacos that Dupont put on their payroll to rant about it..so Dupont and other refrigerant chemical companiescould have a reason to create a whole new industry around Non HCFC type refrigerants...It has nothing to do with the environment, but everything to dowith big business getting richer off the little guys.

Fact...One volcano eruption puts more chlorine gas in the atmospher than all of mankind has ever done and could do by 500 times more...With swimming pools and spray deoderant along with Refrigerants...BTW the Ozone hole is closing upagain http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1003100537.htm

The above expalination of mine was about a flat system..(already leaked out..any repairs on a low system, I would advocate a refrigerant recovery processor..more to reclaim it and to offset the price of new refrigerant.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:51 AM

Here here!!! And lets not go to global warming......

Old 03-18-2008, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

That was what I would say , FJT said that before me [sm=bling.gif]

Quick Reply: A/C Service...