X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carpets sodden not sure where the waters from

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Carpets sodden not sure where the waters from

Hi everyone hope someone can point me in the right direction here.

A friend valeted my beloved jag whilst I was away on holiday which was really appreciated but when I came back the carpets were still sodden - in fact there was standing water. My daughter then noticed that the back window was slightly open so we took it that was the cause of problem.

The thing is though that I have on several occasions mopped up the surface water and dried the carpets as best as I can only to return a couple of days later to find the problem still persists. I've now just found out that the problem which originally only on the passenger side (front and back) has now spread to the drivers side.

Can anyone shed any light about a possible cause? Could it still relate to when I had the car valeted or is it likely to be something else? I can't see how the water can levitate up to that level and it doesn't appear to coming in through the windows and there's no sign of any water coming in through the door seals.

Any thoughts would be really appreciated, the car is really uncomfortable to drive at the moment (there's condensation permanently on the inside of the windows) and the weathers not looking too brilliant - its shortly due to snow.

Unfortunately I haven't got access to a garage which makes if more difficult to dry the car out but in saying that I think there must be more water coming in.

Thanks for you help

Old 11-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You'll need to tell us more about your car to get any real definitive help.

I have an 05 S-Type and had a similar problem. We found two issues.

The first was the roof drains. They were found to be aged and split so some water was getting in that way.

However, we then found the seal at the bottom left corner of the windshield had failed. Once that was fixed, problem solved.

The following users liked this post:
yorkshirelad (11-24-2010)
Old 11-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  19.3 KB

Yorkshirelad, toller has a point. Please reply with your year / model and hopefully there are some guys here who can point you in the right direction.

I've heard stories previously of roof drains being an issue and also the window / door seals will probably need to be checked, although thats a kinda generic answer!

Old 11-23-2010, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome aboard yorkshirelad, when I first read your post I thought 'don't park in the Nidd', but that was not helpful.

Next thought, take it to a car wash place that has an industrial type vacuum cleaner and suck out as much as you can, then back home fire up a mains fan heater with the windows cracked open a tiny amount. The hot moist air will leave the car, but it takes ages.

If you have access to a building dehumidifier this will also help. You should be able to hire one from your local tool hire place.

Of course none of this is any use, if the water is still getting in.

So for everyone reading this, the car In question is an 05 X Type. (don' know if it is an estate).

If you don't receive any answers here, then drop into the X Type section.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Wet carpets

Does it have a sun roof and if so, is it fully closed and sealed tight and are the drain chanells all clear. Are the hoses carrying water up to the windscreen washer jets all tight (long shot but it happened to a friend and the water kept running in behind the dash) Try running a hose over it, section by serction, checking as you go.

best of luck.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Default Thanks Toller

Much appreciate your thoughts on this Toller, I'll check it for the problems you've mentioned.

Can you tell me the best place to check to for the windscreen seal, would you spot this from the inside or does it drip though through the bonnet? Please excuse my lack of technical knowledge but I've had it four years and never had a problem with before so a hint would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks again

Mike

Old 11-23-2010, 05:32 PM
Default More replies - thankyou

Wow, so many helpful replies and advice that's all really appreciated.

Yes its an 05 saloon, no sun-roof, front elecric windows, back manual. No obvious leaks in doors and the water mainly seems to come in when its stationary. I think this discounts the wiper water supply etc. Basically I dry it out one weekend and then go out a week later and there's more water!

No I didn't park it in the Nidd but you would think I have done!

Can you really use the industrial hoover at a car wash to take water out? That's a damn good idea but would it not knacker their hoover - any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks again for your suggestions - at least I have some pointers now

Old 11-24-2010, 01:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by yorkshirelad

Can you really use the industrial hoover at a car wash to take water out? That's a damn good idea but would it not knacker their hoover - any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks again for your suggestions - at least I have some pointers now
Well, I can with the one down the road from me, here in rural farmland France, and yes the garage owner does know.

Apparently this machine works on the cyclone type system so everything goes into a large holding tank and all is OK.

You could always ask first though.

Alternately, if you don't have access to this type of machine, try asking the Store manager of your local McDonalds if you can borrow/hire their wet vac for a morning. If you pick a quiet time to ask, and explain your predicament, (early morning or middle of the afternoon) you might be pleasantly surprised.

If it is a windscreen seal in general your carpets leading up the bulkhead would be wet.

Personally I would start by looking at the moving parts seals such as doors/side windows/boot seal/fuel filler. Your problem seems to have suddenly appeared after a major clean, this would tend to point me in the direction of one of the above being dislodged/cut by a high pressure jet wash.

Try parking the other way round, if possible to see if this makes a difference to the ingress over a wet week.

All a bit vague I know, but chasing down this type of leak over the Internet is not easy.

I would check into the X Type section and see if there is a recurrent theme.

Let us know how you get on.