X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Job = WOW!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 01:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch Job = WOW!!!!

I am completely overwhelmed by how well the car performs now. I have a new flywheel, pressure plate, release bearing/slave cylinder, and clutch, and I am amazed! The car performs a lot better than it did when I first bought it. The clutch pedal is soft like butter and it's never shifted so smoothly.

I'm going to post some pix of the car later today. But for now, I'm going to go enjoy my car!

Old 12-18-2007, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Clutch Job = WOW!!!!

You do know that you have to break the clutch in right? 500 miles before you can ride the car hard or go over 60-70 mph.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:41 PM

ORIGINAL: bigdreams05

You do know that you have to break the clutch in right? 500 miles before you can ride the car hard or go over 60-70 mph.
Haven't got on it too hard just yet. Haven't done any interstate driving or 6000 RPM clutch drops. However, I do have to take a 60 mile interstate trip later today. [:@]

Old 12-18-2007, 01:43 PM

Something else that boggles my mind is that the old clutch didn't have springs on it, the new clutch did. What's up with that? As far as I know, the clutch had never been changed before now.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member

Pretty common, although I would've thought the stock one would be sprung. The difference is that the unsprung gets instant engagement and is quite a bit more aggressive and therefore gives you a jolt everytime you put it in gear if you don't know exactly where to release the clutch. The sprung is much nicer for daily driving.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bigdreams05

Pretty common, although I would've thought the stock one would be sprung. The difference is that the unsprung gets instant engagement and is quite a bit more aggressive and therefore gives you a jolt everytime you put it in gear if you don't know exactly where to release the clutch. The sprung is much nicer for daily driving.

Too true. I took a lot of time before I was able to shift without the clunk, and I still get it every now and then 18 months and 11k miles later.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

In a sense you got a turbo charged clutch lol ...Good to hear some good news from you

Old 12-18-2007, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man I can remember now when I changed the clutch on my crotch rocket...man were those some great times! I miss that barnett clutch! It hooked so much better and more accurate than the stocker...congrats sparty glad your happy and she's fixed!

Old 12-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SpartanX,

Did you go with a stockclutch and assembly? How much was the whole job and how long did it take?

Old 12-19-2007, 02:23 AM

ORIGINAL: AGLXTYPE

SpartanX,

Did you go with a stockclutch and assembly? How much was the whole job and how long did it take?
Parts were about 800 because I got the flywheel, pressure plate, release bearing/slave cylinder, and the clutch disc. Labor was also 800. But this was the best 1600 I've ever spent, that's for sure.

It took a day and a half. All stock Jaguar Stuff

Old 12-19-2007, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: bojangles

why would a new clutch limit your speed???? that seems a bit strange?

If you drive a manual properly, you would minimise the slipping all the time.
It is not like brakes that get used with tons of friction all the time.

The idea of driving a manual properly is to avoid friction as much as possible, and never get the surfaces hot from friction. I just dont get the break in for a clutch?? any technical side of that?
No idea bo. Really, I'm going by "here say" from what I've always been told on automotive forums. I'm sure that everyone else has heard that you have to break in a clutch for 500 miles and not go above 60-70 mph. I don't think the speed is the problem...I think it's because if you're over that speed, and a situation comes where you would have to down-shift, you're already at over 4500-5000 rpm.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member

Follow whatever you want...we have that freedom and if we spend 1600 on a clutch why not do what we want so we only have ourselves to blame, this is my ideology of what to do...

Old 12-19-2007, 11:29 AM

I still haven't really got on it like I really want to, but it's so tempting. The power delivery is so much smoother than it was when I bought the car. Of course when I was used to the dying cluch, it was impossible to stall. Now I have to be careful because it engages so low to the floor.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:53 PM

ORIGINAL: bojangles

I have never heard of clutch break in.. and never read it in any manufacturer's instruction. Never seen it in an owners manual for any new car....

who are the "everyone else" who recommend some sort of break in on a clutch
I've heard of a clutch break in period, but after reading some stuff, I think it's for aftermarket performance clutches. Now while I don't think it's a good idea to do clutch drops and 7000 RPM hard shifts, a little spirited driving surely won't warp the clutch.

If that's the case, every person who bought an M3 off the lot would be in big trouble .

Old 12-19-2007, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member

What kind of warranty does everything have on it?

Old 12-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: SpartanX

Now I have to be careful because it engages so low to the floor.
that doesn't sound right. in all my years of driving manual cars they have all had one thing in common - when a clutch is new(er) it engages near the top of the range of motion of the pedal, i.e. as soon as you push it. as it begins to wear out it does not engage until closer to the end of the range of motion of the pedal, or in this case the floor.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  7.4 KB

Nineballs made a good point. Generally the lower you have to put the clutch pedal before biting point means that the time for a new clutch is fast approaching. Although technically pseaking you should always floor the pedal anyway for best gear change.
If its new it should be biting near the top of the travel of the pedal!

Jim

Old 12-19-2007, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah I'm with them...soon as I grabbed my clutch on the bike it was grabbing the compression plate...you might want to have that looked at or take it to the guy that did it...even my escape with 100k miles on it engages in the first 1/4 of the pedal...and I'd imagine the clutch and my bearings in there are ready to go...especially considering my driving habits!

Quick Reply: Clutch Job = WOW!!!!