Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 01:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Clutch problem

Hello Ladies and Gents

I had an issue for a short period whereby the clutch would go down and i would have to pop it back up with my foot but no issues with gear changes....
The on pulling up at home a short time late...approximately a week with the pedal sticking intermittently the clutch went down the car stuck in gear clutch on floor. long story short i managed to get it out of gear and hit google for a diagnosis..
I have changed the spring at the top of the pedal, clearly did not make a difference and then the next step was to change the master cylinder (pig of a job) all done with the trusty Haynes manual, however when coming to bleed the system i only had this bleed valve via a black plastic tee on top of the gearbox and not the one under a rubber grommet as described in the manual. this was bled through with a pressure kit successfully but no pressure in the clutch at all goes down and can pull up with a hand..

does this mean its a slave cylinder gearbox out job or am I bleeding the wrong thing

any help appreciated

Mark

Attached Thumbnails Clutch problem-clutch-bleed-valve.jpg  

Last edited by GGG; 10-20-2017 at 03:20 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:32 PM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

It is always a good idea to change out both the master and slave together as when one fails, the other is typically close behind.

Perhaps the slave is the one that failed, thus causing the pedal to remain on the floorboard.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:34 PM

It is also quite helpful if you provide vehicle details such as MY, engine type and size and any other information regarding symptoms the vehicle exhibits.

You can add your vehicle information to your signature line so it goes with each forum post.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:26 PM
Default Thank you ND Cat

Thanks for the swift responce, I have a 2006 2.2D Sport 6 speed

Think it must be the slave cylinder but will go for a clutch change at the same time...... the bleed nipp;e threw me as i spent ages looking for a rubber flap to pull out

Old 10-19-2017, 12:59 PM

It may also be prudent to change the fluid in the braking system too due to the dampness of that region.

You can test the fluid for moisture absorption in several ways, such as with a voltmeter, or with testing strips you can purchase from one of the parts houses like Halfords.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:01 PM

Mr Clutch in Tunbridge Wells is doing it on Monday, new CSC and clutch kit with a gearbox oil change whilst they have it out it for £500 inc VAT

sounds fair to me, I will feedback after I pick the car up as its nice to be nice and spread a good job well done

The following users liked this post:
NBCat (10-19-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 03:18 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark24931816
..... I had an issue for a short period whereby the clutch would go down and i would have to pop it back up with my foot but no issues with gear changes. .....
Welcome to the forum Mark,

I've moved your thread from UK & Eire Region to X-Type forum. This is the place to post technical questions about your model.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham