X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering as a 2nd car

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering as a 2nd car

Hello gentlemen, great community you have here!

I recently purchased a 2007 Range Rover, and while I love it, I don't love the $80 weekly fill-ups.
I'm thinking about purchasing a more practical daily driver (making the RR a more weekend-ish vehicle) and would like to keep it in the Jaguar Land Rover Range Rover family, without spending more than $6000. So, of course, I turned to the X Type. Why not the S Type? Just doesn't have the styling and curves that I enjoy. Granted, It's still a beautiful car... Just not my taste.

I was just trying to get some general feedback on how reliable, cost of maintenance, weekly gas spending, & any other information to share.

Thanks guys!

Sidebar: I commute 40 miles round trip, Monday-Friday, for work.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:38 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention I'm looking at 2002-2003, roughly 90k-110k miles.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:45 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

It's reliable, but it's complex so maintenance (either not done or badly done) can become costly. It scares an untrained mechanic as much as an XK8. It's AWD so fuel economy is not outstanding. I get an average of 10 L/100km. But it's a great car.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

my last car was a 2000 land rover...can't compare fuel economy...wish i'd bought the jag sooner, and certainly less and cheaper maintenance than the LR...i hated gassing up the LR...i get somewhere around 25-30 mpg now instead of 13 with the LR.
The only downside for me with LR v Jag is that the LR was easy to get underneath to fix stuff...jag sits pretty low...especially the sport version (which i have)
good luck with the decision and the hunt.
oh..and one last thing...this forum is very helpful versus the LR forum which was the opposite of helpful...but u know that already...lol

Old 05-08-2012, 12:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

I'll give you my advice. Think twice about buying this car if you want to take it to the dealer for everything, because you will rack up the $$ if you take it there. I do all the work myself which is actually fun and not that hard, you just have to get to know the car . I bought a less than perfect 02 with 104k on it for $5700. I payed more than I have seen some go because I was very set on getting a 3.0 sport with a 5spd and all the options. This is a very rare car, and I didn't negotiate the price because I just wanted the car.
I was hesitant at the mileage, but after driving it and doing preventative maintenance (YOU MUST CHANGE THE TCASE FLUID) the car is great! I have put about $700-$900 into the car, but that covers new rear caliper, rear control arms, HID fogs, lock actuators, spoiler, oil changes, new tranny fluid, greasing propshaft bearing, replacing sound system, new key fob, new front pads, and new tires and wheels (got sponsored.) The key is, you can own this car cheap if you want to and have the time to. If I would have taken the car to a dealer, I would have been looking at around 3-4k in repairs which is just crazy.

As for reliability of different models, all xtypes are known for premature tcase failure because they were "filled for life" which is extreme bulls***. Flush the tcase and you're fine. Also, the auto transmissions tend to have more problems, so i went with a 5spd and changed the tranny fluid so it would shift like butter! If you are looking for better fuel economy, go with the 2.5 engine. I used to commute 60 miles to and from work and got around 30mpg in my 3.0. You can get over 30mpg easy in a 2.5, but I live at higher altitude, so I needed the extra displacement to get over the altitude. As for sport vs non sport, the sport seats are VERY comfortable and supportive! I drove my car 2000 miles in 48 hours when I first bought it and was blown away at how comfortable the sport seats were. If you don't like the stiffer suspension, go with the non-sport, but the sport isn't really too bad.

After all this talk, the bottom line is to buy a car that has been well taken care of and change the tcase fluid as soon as you buy it. This car sits in the same reliability as my saturn which had no bells and whistles. If you buy a jag that has been abused, it will not be kind on you because preventative maintenance is absolutely KEY to the xtype and if it doesn't get performed, S*** hits the fan

Old 05-09-2012, 02:39 AM

Sorry for such a delayed reply, been busy lately.
Thanks for the help gentlemen!

I think I'm gonna keep my eye out for one but not be in a rush to purchase one. Don't wanna end up buying one that'll cost me more money than what I pay for it.
Who knows, you guys may see me back on these forums soon saying I got one.

versus the LR forum which was the opposite of helpful...but u know that already
You couldn't of said it any better. The guys (not even gonna call them gentlemen) are complete a$$es on that board.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:08 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

My recommendation for anyone who is seriously interested in getting an X-Type is to do an inventory search at jaguarusa.com. There are currently 6 certified X-Types listed there. Certified means they still are covered by a Jaguar warranty.

In addition, since it is currently under a Jaguar (i.e., Ford authorized) warranty an extended one can be purchased from Ford when the Jaguar one runs out. Plus, the price of the Ford warranty can be "shopped" between dealers...
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 05-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get about 170-190 miles per tank, so I wouldn't say it's the most fuel economical car out there. I only drive city and short distances, so that may be why.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

carwatcher, this car sucks for city. It really hates stopping every mile. With that said, I can get 350 miles on the highway and about 300 combined if I baby it. I normally end up with about 250 miles cause I bought the car to drive it!