Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering an X

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 04:42 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Considering an X

Hi All,

Wifey has decided she wants a ticket into Jaguar ownership.

We have been looking at a particular X-Type 2.5 AWD manual Sport Saloon. Good price, low milage, good condition.

Thing is though, it felt absolutely gutless on the test drive. I mean it was really flat.

I understand that the engine is a re-worked ford Duratec V6 which i have owned a few Fords over the years with the Same engine - a Cougar and a couple of Mondeos (not sure what they are in the states). On the Cougar and Mondeo, the engine had an IMRC valve which opened the secondary set of valves above 3500rpm giving a sort of VTEC feel. When the Valve failed, it too caused the car to feel flat.

Does the X 2.5 have the same valve? If so then is it the same as the Ford unit (simple to swap) or is it a unique jaguar unit?

I've not had a chance to drive another as we are finding manuals rare and the wife will only drive a manual (which is good because she won't drive my S!!!).

Sorry if this has been covered before.

Thanks Guys, Adam

Old 04-29-2012, 07:33 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Adam, it is sounding like the IMT valves are sticking. Sounds like the same valves. If you open the hood and look on the left side of the intake (your driver's side since it is RHD), you will see 2 black disks on the side of the intake. I can see where if those were sticking it may make the engine feel a little flat. They may be the same valves since there are shared pieces between the Mondeo and the X-Type.

Finding a manual tranny X-Type is going to be very limiting. They are out there, but hard to find. I wish you luck.

The following users liked this post:
AdzBo (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 02:08 PM

Thanks Chris. Will go back to the dealer during the week and have a look.

I can find plenty 2.1v6 and 3.0 manuals. the 2.1's are all poor spec and the 3.0's hold their money well so thats why we are looking for a 2.5.

Lastly, is awd permanent or does it favor the front/rear under normal driving conditions?

Thanks for you help Chris

Old 04-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Veteran member

AdzBo, the AWD setups are biased 40/60 (front/rear). The AWD systems on the X-Types are a love-hate thing. yes, they are great for normal driving and in adverse weather can be very helpful. The down side to them is the fact that the transfer cases tend to flex a lot under hard accelerations. So, if you are looking for something to be sporty, the AWD X-Type is going to be a costly vehicle to own. If you like to tour and just cruise at say 100 KPH, then you will be golden.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:14 PM

Thanks again.

They wife isn't a high mileage driver. She works from home, takes our son to her mother on a tuesday and collects him on a thursday (25miles each way).

I like the idea of the AWD because over the recent years our weather has been getting worse in the winter.

Thanks for your help!!

Adam

Old 04-29-2012, 09:18 PM
Veteran member

Adam, not a problem. If you have any other questions, ask away. As you can see, I call things as I see them. I do not sugar coat it to make it appear that it is the best thing since sliced bread.