Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leak ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak ideas?

Hi All.

so, after replacing my expansion tank, i find i still have a leak.

it appears to be dripping, slowly towards the rear of the engine/gearbox/transfer box assembly .... it's difficult to work out exactly where it's coming from.

there are two sizeable coolant pipes heading off in that direction, but they go somewhere above the drivetrain, and i can;t see the ends of them.

anyone tell me what they are? and where they go and how one gets to them ?

(i've also noted an oil leak down there..... the sump is coated fairly well... so it seems that a fair bit of work is needed...... and mostly with the car up in the air ... )

Old 09-23-2013, 08:09 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Idris, a few members have had issues with the T connector for those major lines developing a crack, leading to the leak that you are talking about. I would check that first. I would also do another check of the nipple that caused the overflow bottle to fail in the first place. We have discovered that if you don't put the clip back a certain way, it can come in contact with the hood liner, leading to it cracking right after install. After that, get yourself a flash light and start looking for where things are wet and tracing things backwards.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks thermo, i spotted the potential nipple problem, before it reoccurred, if you see what i mean.... (i mentioned this and it's preventative cure in the other thread we were in )

the tee connector seems dry , although i will double check that , as i've not checked it directly while running....

the end point of the drip seems to be further back , off a finned casting (transfer box???) , and to the little left of centre, as you look at the underside of the engine, in my mind, i can see it being off either of those two pipes (do they connect to the heater matrix?) or seeping from the rear of the rear cylinder head , if the gasket is blown... (i've had a coolant leak from a GM 3.0 V6 on a rear cylinder head corner in the past... so... bitter memories of spending a long time and a fortune trying to find the leak before resorting to head gaskets.... )

Old 09-24-2013, 07:52 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Idris, just to ask a silly question, but, when you run the A/C-heat, do you get a sweet smell out of the air ducts? If so, you may have a bad heater core as the drain for the A/C system is right in that same general area too. One more possibility. Otherwise, it is sounding like you need to get yourself a good flashlight and spend some time on the underside looking up, seeing what you can spot.