X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling fan module X-type

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling fan module X-type

Hi can anyone help me! the cooling fan does not work, I have tested and change the temperature sensor and still no change. I have started AC but ingeting there either. The fan does not work at all. Can anyone please help me. Get panicked! Engine gets hot fast and I do not want to destroy my engine on the car.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

First we will need to figure out if it is the fans or the module. The module is located on the radiator on the left side of the car when viewed sitting in the drivers seat. Your info doesn't give a location so I don't know if you are LHD or RHD.
I would suggest unplugging the module and then jumper 12 volts to the fans and see if they then run. If they don't fans are bad if they do module is probably bad.
If you need either the fan group or the module I would recommend doing a member search for DrDome. He parts out x-types and can provide replacements.
It would be most helpful if you added your vehicle information to your signature.

The following users liked this post:
Angelicaxtype (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 01:41 PM

Okay thank you, I have tested and unplugging module with 12 volts and the fans run. Then it's like you said it must be the cooling fan module. I will contact DrDome and see what he can help me with. There is such thing on Ebay for £ 45
The question of which car I have is:
Jaguar x-type 2001 4wd v6 2.5L
and (it's left-handed car)

Old 11-09-2017, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member

DrDome is in the the USA so that might not be a good option for you. You can try the auto breakers for a used one but the ebay price doesn't sound bad. Just make sure it is from a 2001 to 2003 model year. They made a lot of wiring changes in 2004 and I am unsure if the 2004 and up units would work.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:27 AM

okay, I'll be extra enough! Thank you for all your help. By the way I heard a reputation that it could also be a water pump or thermostat? How do I know that the thermostat is wrong?

Old 11-10-2017, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member

The water pump and thermostat can cause overheating but they don't control the fans. It is possible that the thermostat is stuck closed but doubtful it is the wrong one unless you just changed it. If your fluid level is correct and your temp rises rapidly you can check the temp of the hoses before and after the thermostat to see if the downstream hose is cooler. That would signal a frozen thermostat.