X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cowl Plenum Panel - Seal??

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 01:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cowl Plenum Panel - Seal??

I just had my windshield replaced. When I was at the glass shop, the first thing that the glass guy said to me was - "you have a part missing". He pointed at the gap between the cowl plenum panel and the windshield. (There is a small gap there...). He added that "You don't want bugs or anything getting down in there..."

So, they are ordering the "missing" part from the dealer.

However, I looked at a neighbor's X-Type, and I've looked in the X-Type parts manual, and I don't see anything that is missing on my car.

I think he may think that there is supposed to be a rubber sealer strip that fits on top of the cowl plenum panel, but I don't think there is one on the X-Type.

Can anyone confirm this...?

Thanks...

Old 01-28-2013, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

I didn't see one on the parts list.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

The cowl is held by push in keepers (5 of them) under the hood and also snaps in place at the base of the windshield. That's all I know. Had mine out yesterday to change the cabin air filter.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

Oh, and there is nothing else in there like a sealing strip.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:43 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts

Don't worry there is a gap of about 2mm or so between the plenum under the wipers and the windscreen which looks like it should not be there, but it is on all x-types I think.. I'm not sure why as things do seem to get easily jammed in the gap....

Old 01-29-2013, 08:16 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

There is no extra part. The gap below the windshield is where the flange on the cowl seats. Clean it out really well with a tooth brush and a shop vac to remove any road grime. Then, using a forceful palm, your cowl will "POP" into place. Be sure to press it in evenly along the entire windshield base.

When I bought my car, the passenger side wasn't seated properly and left a 1/8" gap off the glass. All kinds of road grime had washed down in there.

Even when seated properly, its not a watertight seal. You'll be able to slide your fingernail between the cowl and the glass. But, that's OK. If the flange is seated properly in the gap, it will prevent water and grime from getting past that point.

There are drain holes in the plastic housing under the cowl to evacuate any water that does get past. Be sure to keep it clean of leaves and debris so water can drain properly and doesn't end up entering the car through the cabin filter vent.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:36 PM

Thanks. I can also confirm everything that you just posted. I looked at two other X-Types and both of them had the gap on the passenger side.

I did get a new replacement cowl and when the installer initially seated it, it didn't fit any better than the original. In fact, it gapped in two places. However, he was undeterred. After a minute or two of pressing with his palms along the entire length of the cowl it seated perfectly.

Now I'm thinking that I might have been able to get the original cowl to seat properly...

Oh well, I did get a chance to clean everything out and now I am good to go...

Old 01-30-2013, 03:50 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Out of curiosity, how much does a new cowl cost?

Old 01-30-2013, 11:03 PM

In California, $193 installed.

More info... I went back and talked to the glass shop guys this afternoon. I had the original cowl from this morning. They showed me that about 33% of the flange was missing on the original. Not clear exactly what happened. Didn't look broken off. Looks like it could have been a bad mold.

According to the glass guys, this was why they couldn't get the cowl to seat. And they also pointed out, like you, that you really want a full flange to keep the crud out.

This may also explain why I once had some water drips inside the car on the passenger's floor mat after a car wash.

Anyway, I feel better about replacing the cowl now...

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (11-20-2013)
Old 11-20-2013, 05:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Hi Fellas,

Thanks for this interesting post, has anyone had an issue with debris leaves and stuff goinginto the cowl under the front screen as I've a gap too and I can remember countless times having to dig out something.

This plays on my mind as what happens to the debris I don't happen to see and then of course it rains!

Is it worthwhile to maybe seal the edges that are wide, rather than have issues later and what sort of resin or glue/sealant would you recommend?

Thanks in advance, Stu

Old 11-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

03 x type
My cowling gap was bad,water on passenger floor, when I had the windshield replaced I found 12" of both ends the groove was missing. I asked the tech to use his super-duper windshield adhesive to glue it to the windshield which he did, It's bonded for life UNLESS I need a new windshield then it's new cowling time

Stuart Beattie (11-25-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 02:18 AM
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by billbjork
03 x type
My cowling gap was bad,water on passenger floor, when I had the windshield replaced I found 12" of both ends the groove was missing. I asked the tech to use his super-duper windshield adhesive to glue it to the windshield which he did, It's bonded for life UNLESS I need a new windshield then it's new cowling time
I did something like that- it caused a crack in my windshield, which now needs replacement.

and it still leaked... lol

Stuart Beattie (11-25-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 05:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Gee, Bill and Tumbleweed,
You both have equally interesting answers, it always depends on luck or in my case, er none!!
But thank you none the less!

I have actually now had the time to look at the scuttle panel and realise that you can actually mould the cowl quite easily with time and care but that would also depend on whether it is new/old or what kind of weather your baby has been subjected too as well and what I mean by that is I would be sure that the scuttle panel will yeild to warm weather and I feel it could be kind of warped out of shape in time, if it's that hot at times?

I really don't want to seal it for life as that would be hard to get at the pollen filter, but I think some kind of paste/jelly like vaseline might be the ticket, if I can't seal those gaps .
Cheers, Stuart

Old 05-21-2023, 12:24 AM
JXR
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Would clear silicone be a good non-permanent way to seal the gap?

Old 06-13-2023, 06:14 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin93940
I just had my windshield replaced. When I was at the glass shop, the first thing that the glass guy said to me was - "you have a part missing". He pointed at the gap between the cowl plenum panel and the gold windshield. (There is a small gap there...). He added that "You don't want bugs or anything getting down in there..."

So, they are ordering the "missing" part from the dealer.

However, I looked at a neighbor's X-Type, and I've looked in the X-Type parts manual, and I don't see anything that is missing on my car.

I think he may think that there is supposed to be a rubber sealer strip that fits on top of the cowl plenum panel, but I don't think there is one on the X-Type.

Can anyone confirm this...?

Thanks...
it's difficult to provide a specific confirmation without visually inspecting the car or having access to the exact specifications of your X-Type model. In some cases, there may indeed be a rubber sealer strip or a similar component that fits on top of the cowl plenum panel to prevent debris, bugs, or water from entering the gap between the windshield and the panel. However, the presence or absence of such a part can vary depending on the specific make, model, and year of the vehicle. To obtain accurate information, I recommend consulting the owner's manual for your X-Type model or contacting the Jaguar dealer or an authorized service center. They should be able to provide you with the correct information regarding the specific parts and components that should be present in that area. Additionally, if you're uncertain about the glass guy's assessment or have further questions, it's always a good idea to seek a second opinion from another reputable glass shop or a certified technician who specializes in Jaguar vehicles. They may be able to inspect your car and provide you with a more accurate assessment of the situation. Remember, it's important to ensure that your windshield and its surrounding components are properly installed and sealed to maintain the integrity of your vehicle.

Old 06-13-2023, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Uuuummmmm.....

10 year old thread....

Old 06-13-2023, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 378 Likes on 284 Posts

I fell again for the trap that someone replied to a REALY old thread and kept reading and reading...
Anyway: My last purchased X-Type (a few month ago) came from a seriously messy family. plus they lived basically IN the forest and the cowl was about 1/3 full with leaves and debris, which is why I had to remove the cowl. Plus, I had to remove the cowl to get to the cabin air filter, removed it. used A?S cleaner foam. I cleaned out the rotten mess of leaves. And yes: when I removed the cowl, the first obstacle where to remove the wipers (with a remover tool), and then I had to be careful not to damage the cowl, as it was glued with double sided sticky tape to the windscreen. I removed the messy remnants of this old tape and then applied 1 to 2 layers of 3M clear double sided sticky tape in preparation of re-installing the cowl.

Here you see the utter mess, plus the remnants of the old double sided sticky tape in the windscreen.

Here you see the cowl re-installation-preparation with new double sided clear 3M double sided sticky tape. The cabin air filter is in this picture now yet back on.

mr.aus (01-21-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 04:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the picture. Mine was in a similar state when I removed my cowling. As some others have written in earlier posts y cowling also has some major gaps in the two sides. What did you use to clean the bottom of the windscreen . there is a white layer that i cannot remove. I will try the double side tape remedy because I don't think i can find a replacement part new or second hand in in Australia without spending a lot.