X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Service Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 11:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Service Question

Good evening everyone, I've been on this forum reading up on various topics for a few years now, and I've finally found myself needing some assistance.
First of all, I own a 2002 x-type Sport with 100,9xx miles. I bought the car @ 52,xxx miles along with a 4 year/50k Ford complete care warranty. I haven't really had a need for the warranty yet, since I service my own cars, but with the warranty expiring in <1,500 miles, I thought I'd try and recover some of the money I spent on it by having some of my issues looked at. Here are my current issues with the car, as well as Jaguar's quote to diagnose the problem:

1) Clicking noise in the passenger front suspension. My guess is that the problem is a tie-rod, but I can't be sure without a mechanic confirming it. The dealer wants $65 to diagnose it.

2) Whining noise coming from the front wheels @ road speed. The noise changes in volume depending on which way I turn the wheels, but definitely gets louder on right-hand curves. I believe the problem to be a wheel bearing, but again, I can't be sure without a mechanic confirming it. The dealer wants $65 to diagnose it.

3) Driver's & Passenger's door handle problem (it seems like the cable that unlatches the door stretches with the door handle, especially in the hot summer months). The Jaguar dealer wants $130 diagnostic charge per door to look at it and there's no guarantee that it's covered. In addition, the service mgr says that there's a chance that the moulded inside door panel clips may break during removal at a cost of $1,200 per panel.

My question to everyone is whether all these items should be covered under warranty. I called the Ford warranty hotline before making the appointment @ Jaguar and they stated that all the problems I mentioned were "Eligible" for warranty coverage, but I fear that they may not be covered, in which case I would have wasted my time/money @ the dealer since I prob would either repair these items on my own or visit an independent mechanic to save on the cost of these repairs.

Thank you all for your replies in advance.

Zack

Old 07-25-2010, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

The diagnostic charges are a bit stiff, but that's another conversation.

Yeah, the exact defect must be confirmed before coverage can be confirmed...which makes sense. These warranties are designed to cover certain parts, not certain problems...if you get what I mean.

For example, the "problem" might be a erratic door handle/lock, but what's the required repair? A latch, switch, or actuator might be covered but a lock rod, electrical connector, or cable might not.

But, yeah, it would be hellish to pay those kind of inspection charges if the repairs were not covered. It's a real Catch 22 when the exact cause of the problem isn't known up front.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-26-2010, 07:46 AM

Thanks Doug, I appreciate the reply. Has anyone had any luck with using a shop similar to Pep Boys to verify the 1st 2 items on my list? I'm pretty sure their diagnostic fees would be better (although I'm not so sure about their level of experience with the x-type). Anyone have any thoughts?

Zack

Old 07-26-2010, 08:28 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I would stear clear of PepBoys for work. I had horrible experience there with my VW Passat. Simple front breaks ended up costing me (and then them) over $3000 to fix

Old 07-26-2010, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't really considering using PepBoys for the work, just for the diagnosis, but I guess I'll reconsider even doing that. Can anyone suggest any other large chain that may be reasonable for diagnosing problems, or should I just suck it up and pay the dealer?

Zack

Old 07-26-2010, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Zack
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't really considering using PepBoys for the work, just for the diagnosis, but I guess I'll reconsider even doing that. Can anyone suggest any other large chain that may be reasonable for diagnosing problems, or should I just suck it up and pay the dealer?

Zack

Will the service contract company accept a diagnosis from a chain-type repair facility? Will they accept the diagnosis being done at one shop and the repairs being done at another? Better call and find out.

In the end I think you're gonna end up back at the dealer but I'd have a little chat with them about inspection/diagnosis charges....especially $130/each door on the door lock problem. They are certainly entitled to compensation for checking out problems but potentially you are exposing yourself to $520 in diagnostic/inspection charges if the repairs are not covered. I have a hard time accepting these unlimited "stack ups" of diagnostic charges....and I've spent most of my life as a dealership service manager.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-26-2010, 01:13 PM

Yeah, the potential charges are what I'm concerned about. I guess I can simply have the Dealer look into the mechanical problems and deal with the doors on my own (at least that way I'm only out $130 in diagnostic fees).

Old 07-26-2010, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

If the diagnostics reveal parts/problems that are covered under warranty, will they still charge the diagnostic shop time? They should waive those fees if the repairs are covered. At least that's always been my experience at my dealer. The door panels are expensive, but replacing the whole door panel due to broken clips? I don't think so...

So maybe you roll the dice a little and hope that what is actually the problem is covered. May as well get it all done at the dealer if you don't have a trusted independent mechanic that will deal with the warranty.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:37 PM

Yeah, thanks for all the replies guys. I have an appt to take the car to the dealer on Wed, 7/28/10, so I'll let you all know what happens.

Zack

Old 07-26-2010, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member

The fees are generally waived if the repairs are covered. Different dealers have different policies. The idea, of course, is that "somebody" will pay for their time if no repairs are made....and that's understandable. You can bet it won't be the service contract company, though.

I have come across door panels on other cars that are virtually impossible to remove without breaking. I be damned, though, if I'd replace a $1200 trim panel without first trying to fix it.

Some manufacturers sell a repair kit for the broken mounting tabs. Dunno about Jaguar.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-28-2010, 01:01 PM

Well, I dropped the car off @ the dealer this morning. Total cost for diagnostics is $270 and Doug is correct, that fee will be applied to the repair cost (or waived in the event of warranty coverage).