X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel injector change now wont start

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Diesel injector change now wont start

Hi there, great site I've been reading/using it for over a year now and I now I have finally got a reason to post.

I have recently got a Jaguar x-type diesel 2004 estate as someone hit my s-type petrol on the rear door and the insurance / garage just writ it off.

Problem is it was starting and running very rough. It was giving me the code p2336 which I thought maybe the injector. I was told it had been at the garage and quoted £1000 for the injectors to be fixed before I got the car. This is after they have already charged him over £1000 changing other bits of course.

But since I am the way I am I thought I would give it a go. Who needs to pay for 4 new injectors when only 1 needs fixed right?

So I ordered a used but "tested and working" injector from ebay and a special socket to put it in. Well yesterday it came and here was my chance to prove myself to the girlfriend

I removed the injector, pretty easy, it didn't split. I put the other one in, tried to torque it to 47Nm with a torque bar I got a loan off. And it wouldn't click/jolt or whatever. But I was sure I didn't do it too tight, it kinda felt right if you know what I mean. Connected it all back together and try to start it. Now it wont even try to start.

So I removed that one and put the old one back in, this time with another torque bar. Brand new still unopened, and it does torque to 47Nm. Car still wont start.

Now when I try turn the engine over after about the 10th - 15th crank it just cuts the starter motor suddenly off and nothing.

So about 5-6 times in and out and I'm not getting anywhere. Have I gubbed it by not torquing it correctly in the 1st place. I hope this is not the reason.

When removing the injector it comes out pretty black like sump oil, would that be normal? Could oil be in the cylinder preventing it from starting. It never used to cut out when trying to start, would a low bat do this?

It still torques up to 47Nm if that helps. Anyway It got way too dark and I'll need to get back to it in the morning as the Girlfriend is not happy as she needs it for work

P2336 - GenericTypePowertrain - Ignition System or Misfire - ISO/SAE ControlledDescriptionCylinder 1 Above Knock Threshold