X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disable 'Limp Home Mode'

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 03:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disable 'Limp Home Mode'

I've had enough of sensors giving wrong alerts to the computer.

Is it possible to Disable 'Limp Home Mode'?

Old 06-08-2017, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

No, it is not able to be disabled. Plus, why would you even want to do that? When an error message comes up or you get a warning light on the dash it does mean something isn't right. And when that happens there is a code triggered to at least give you an idea where the problem might be. When the issue is bad enough to trigger the limp home mode the car is trying to protect you from further damage. Would you rather have it not do that and possibly lead to a catastrophic failure?

Sounds like you have a specific issue that has frustrated you. If you would post a description of the issue you are having along with any associated codes someone on here should be able to help you.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:10 AM

Thanks Alpha..

It all started 4 months ago. Amber coil light flashing with 'Gearbox fault' displayed and limp home mode.

Had the EGR replaced and OK for another week.

Had the Diesel Filter replaced and OK for another week.

Now happening again. I start the engine, ref it up and after a minute the Gearbox fault reappears.

So so how can it be the gearbox if the car is in neutral.

Automatic gearbox.

I drove home (20 miles) in limp home and stopped for diesel last night and it's been ok all day today.

I bought on ebay a code reader for 10 quid and it's not showing any codes.

Sorry if I sound ratty but now getting silly and expensive.

Thanks if if anyone could help.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Sorry for your your frustration, but if there is a light on the dash, a code is being generated. Might be a C code, which not every reader can read, like a more common P code. Maybe that is why you can't read it.

Whatever it is, if your car is going into limp mode, that is telling you it is serious enough that you want it fixed. Does the issue seem to happen when it is raining out? Reason I ask is that you could be getting water intrusion into your TCM. That can certainly trip a gearbox fault message.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:38 PM

Thanks Alpha...

Nothing to do with weather, day, night, distance. All motorway driving. Should I just ditch this reader and buy another? Thanks mate

Old 06-08-2017, 03:47 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

SEMORGANUK, I know this is going to sound silly, but when was the last time the battery was replaced? We have seen where the car will start throwing random codes when the battery gets weak. Yes, the car runs off of the alternator when the engine is running, but the battery filters the varying voltage coming from the alternator and when the battery gets weak, it doesn't filter this varying voltage too well. This results in the computers seeing things "jumping around" value wise, making it think it is a problem. You can go to a local auto parts store and have them do a load test on the battery. If it is at/below 75% capacity, replace the battery and see what happens.

The other thing you may want to try is taking the car for a drive (atleast a 10KM drive) with a lot of the electrical stuff turned on. Park the car and then cup your hand over the battery terminals. The terminals should be warm (ie, able to put your hand on them but after a few seconds you may feel like you want to move your had). But, if they are really hot, then you have a bad battery cable and this will also cause the voltage of your car to do funny things and confuse the computers. If the battery terminals are hot (ie, you don't want to put your hand on it for fear of burning yourself), then a new battery cable is needed.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:15 PM

Thanks again. Will try all that tomorrow.

I do have a fuse that keeps blowing for the near side parking lights (tiny side light at front and back). Maybe this is all the same fault. Thanks again

Old 06-13-2017, 06:51 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SEMORGANUK
Thanks again. Will try all that tomorrow.

I do have a fuse that keeps blowing for the near side parking lights (tiny side light at front and back). Maybe this is all the same fault. Thanks again
my auto 2.2 d x type randomly goes into limp home mode with gearbox fault as well. I had the codes read and apperently the turbo actuator was the root of my problem so maybe yhe same fault is causing your problem as well

Old 06-14-2017, 01:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the Gear Box Fault on my 2005 3.0 ltr and it turned out I had corrosion on some wires under the battery compartment - one I replaced the Wires Code disappeared. might be worth a look esp if you are blowing fuses