X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I cut the brown and yellow wires for the HID??

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 12:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I cut the brown and yellow wires for the HID??

So do I cut the brown and yellow wires in order to install the hid kit, if that's so will I be able to put it back if I want to go back to stock lights?
Thanks!!

Old 12-12-2007, 07:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Do I cut the brown and yellow wires for the HID??

yes and yes

Old 12-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just make sure you leave a little length on the connector end to be able to reconnect the two together.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:20 PM

Well, I have just installed today mi HID (the improvement is awesome).I have not cut it completely; I removed a small part of cable caseand I weld here the HID cables. It´s more difficult than directly cut but I though it´s better and cleanif you need replace or change the bulb or return to normal situation (you will only need to cover it). I think it would be possible to weld the HID faston to the car connector but my tin wasn´t so good.

Anyway, the faster and easier option it´s to cut andsplice it but I´m so fussy and always try to avoid to broke any original thing (include a simple cable).

I hope my experience helps you.

Regards!

Old 12-12-2007, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member

Where are the pics?
[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Old 12-12-2007, 05:54 PM

Well, it has take many hours to me to complete the job and I haven´t taken any pic

Anywhere i think the passenger hid isn´t good facing and I will fix it tomorrow. I´ll see if I can take some pics to show how I did it.

In my opinion the best option (with good tin) it´s to connect the HID faston directly to thecar connector. It would be faster and clean: notoo much time, no cut, no broke anything... but my tin didn´t want to stick there So I did what I have already explained and I wait to show tomorrow on pics.

Regards!

Old 12-13-2007, 07:20 AM

Well, here is a pic that show what I try to explain yesterday:

This way, if I need to change the HID bulb or return to original H1, I only need to use the welder to heated and detach the tin and I will have not broke the original cable. I only need to protect the cut part. Really the welding I show in the pic isn´t too orthodox but I was doing it myself bended, with wind, only two hands... well it was the better aspect I got for the welding but it´s really strong.

And, on the other hand, just today, apart the pict, Ihave been checking the HIDs and when I was pressing the passenger side one to put correctly there was a "click" I think I broke some flap and now I´m afraid about if it would be good facing, if it would works OK the move tool for it... I´m just waiting for the night to check it but now I´m very disappointed I didn´t break anything yesterday when I was installing it and now, only checking it, I have broken a flap Does anybody know if one focus flap broken is a big problem or not?

Regards!

Old 12-13-2007, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member

I'm unsure what you are speaking of?

Old 12-13-2007, 08:17 AM

Well, what I try to explain is this morning I was pressing the HID bulb and I heard a "click", as somestaple (I don´tknow if it´s the good word)was broken and now the bulb case is a little more loose; I think I broke some of the original grip for it. Is it a big problem?

Old 12-13-2007, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member

I'm guessing you broke one of the tabs off on the inside of the headlights. You can take the headlights compeletely apart (have to take the bumper off first to remove headlamp) and repair the tabs somehow but I think we were still waiting for pics. Otherwise you could get new headlamps. Unfortunately this happens quite often and my passengers side lamp has some tabs broken!

Old 12-13-2007, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

I think what you are talking about is the direction that the light is facing. I think that the headlights are adjustable up and down, but I don't know about left and right. Did I understand you correctly?

Old 12-13-2007, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member

I think he was talking about the tabs that break...mine broke but were broke before I just insured they were going to bounce going all the way down the road!

Old 12-13-2007, 10:25 AM

Yes, that´s what I try to explain (I don´t knew the exact word: tab jeje). But the problem was pressing the hid bulb lamp, inward the headlamp. Anyway, you say you have some broken(I think I only broke this one, is the ony one I felt and heard) and there is no problem? Will I have some problem with the headlamp or regulating the light level? Is for that I´m waiting for the night to check all it.

I´m also thinking about take the bumper off because I think I will need to do that to install the grillmess I have bought and maybe to change the fog bulbs. Is there info and pics about bumper dismantle?

About pic, I show in the last reply one about muy cables welding. Do you see it?

EDIT: I didn´t see the second page when I replied. About my first doubts with the light: yesterday I had the feeling the passenger hidcould be deflected to the left side. It seems the light intensity wasn´t homogeneus so this morning, thinking maybe it wasn´t good held, I take it off and when I was pressing it to insert again was when I broke something, I heard a "clack". So now I´m afraid about if it´s worrisomely or not and if I will have some problem with the light adjustable level.

Regardsss,

Old 12-13-2007, 12:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

there is no need to remove the bumper to install either mesh grille insert. i did both of them.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:59 PM

I just ordered this kit for the installation I think it is definetely the best way to go. I'll receive it tomorrow, I appreciate the help from everyone!!
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...goryCode=3067N

What I liked the most is that it's very similar to the actual HID connectors, and it'll look very professional.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member

Shoot I didn't care I just cut it...besides who is going to take the time to put the halogens back in?
As nineball stated bumper removal is not necessary for mesh grilles. There is a faq section for removing the bumper. I thought I was told there were 4 tabs inside the lamp but I could be making that up...many of us have had this problem...your not the first!