X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dome light will not shut off 2003

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 07:11 AM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
Default dome light will not shut off 2003

I searched, but really could not find a viable answer. As the title says, the dome light remains on while I drive.

I removed the forward dome light, just so I could drive at night, no change. The rest of the lights are still on.

If I disconnect the battery, the problem goes away for a day or two, then returns.

None of the switches, rear dome or dash are selected on. Nor do they make any difference. The door switches are all functional. As the dome light goes off once I disconnect/reconnect the battery, upon door close.

At this point, I simply want the lights out.

suggestions please...

Thanks!

Old 06-11-2017, 06:49 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

cujet, out of curiousity, do you have lights in your doors? If so, are these on also when your overhead lights are on? If yes, then you most likely have a sticking door switch (most likely would be the driver's door, but could be any door in reality). If it is only the overhead lights, try pulling out both the front and rear overhead lights (ie, unplug them from the wiring of the car). Do your footwell lights remain on? If yes, then you have either a wiring issue or your GEM module is starting to go (you can differentiate between the two by simply unplugging the GEM module and seeing if the footwell lights go out at this point). If the footwell lights go out, plug in one of the overhead lights (doesn't matter which one). If the footwell lights come on, you have a problem with that overhead light assembly. If not, then odds are your problem lies in the overhead light assembly that is still unplugged.

Out of curiousity, was any work done on the interior of the car just prior to this starting? I have seen in the past where say the overhead lighting was pulled down, but when it was put back up, a screw got put in wrong and it went through a wire, causing it to ground and lead to what you are seeing.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:22 PM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Hello Thermo!

No work done on the lights or overhead.

No door lights. Yes the footwell lights remain on.

Where is the GEM module?

I strongly suspect it's some form of electronic failure, as the problem is solved for a time, if I disconnect and reconnect the battery.

Thanks!!