X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC Fault

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 08:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DSC Fault

I drive a 2004 X-type 3.0. Here is the history and variables in the hope that they will make sense to someone on the forum.

1. Had passenger front inner and outer tie rod ends replaced.
2. DSC System Fault message now shows up with amber light on dash.
3. Occasionally, red battery indicator light shows up on dash and remains on until I turn off the ignition. Next start it may or may not be on.
4. There was a foreign substance on the passenger front wheel when I brought it home from the garage. I assumed it was an agent used to free up "frozen" threads. It cleaned off with wheel cleaner and elbow grease.
5. Car "lurches" right or left often, usually associated with a shift (automatic) or a turn of some type.
6. Also had both sway bar ends replaced.

Research on this forum indicates a good place to start is cleaning speed sensors. I have not checked it yet with a code reader. Any thoughts and ideas for diagnosis and repair would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:51 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Based on what you are describing, sounds like the mechanic used a BFH on your car to break things loose and may have caught a wheel speed sensor (most likely the passenger front corner). you should also have a check engine light associated with this if it is a wheel speed sensor. This could also possibly result in the lurching that you are seeing as one of the other joints has gotten moved enough that it now has some play in it. This could even possibly explain the battery light as the alternator is right in that general area and one good bounce and things can go awry. I would do a good look over of that corner of the car to see what you can see and then get the OBD codes read to see if that points you towards a wheel speed sensor being your DSC issue.