X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical issues with Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical issues with Vehicle

In these last 2 weeks I replaced the interior cabin lights with LED's and installed HID's for the fog lights and have run into the following issues with my 04, 2.5 manual X-Type:

1)
Ever since i changed the factroy bulbs with the LED's for my cabin lights (including the dome, over head console and courtesy lighting), when the vehicle doors are closed, the dimmer works fine but the LED's don't turn "OFF" completely and remain very dimly lit (This did not happen with the original bulbs that came with the vehicle). Any ideas why this may be happening? FYI, the over head lights used the festoon type LED fixtures and the courtesy lighting used 194 wedge type fixtures from superbrightLEDs.com.

2) The HID installed fog lights do turn "ON" and work well but here is where the issue is, as soon as i pull the "ON" switch with the factory stereo running, it stalls the sound (hear silence) for a second or 2 and then the sound resumes.
When i had the original halogen H1 type bulbs, i never had this issue. (FYI, prior to installing the HID fogs, when i adjusted the power driver seat the stereo would act in a similar manner and it still does).

A year ago I installed aftermarket HID's for my headlights (Low Beams) and when i turn them "ON" it works just fine with no issues with the stereo etc.
I have the feeling that i am starting to get electrical problems with the car. Any ideas?

Last edited by akhanaa; 02-22-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:34 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

akhanaa, because the computer that controls the lights doesn't use a switch per se, there is a small amount of electrical current that is still going to flow in the lighting circuits. In your case, because you are using LED lights, they will attempt to make light even under this very minimal current flow (we are talking on the scale of microamps). So, with the LEDs glowing even all the time, there is no fear of you draining your battery unless you let the vehicle set for a month or so and never start it. You don't notice this effect with standard filament type bulbs as the current flow is so little that it doesn't create enough heat to make the filament glow.

As for the radio issue, I don't have an answer for that. Odds are, it will be something dealing with the fuse box and a high resistance contact in it. This will cause the voltage to drop under high current demand conditions. In your case, this is enough to make the radio think that the car has been turned off, therefore it drops out the amplifier section. BUt, this is just a guess. Professional troubleshooting will be needed to repair this problem most likely.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:28 PM

Thanks Thermo, i had a feeling that is what was going on with the LED's.

On the other hand, in regards to the stereo I forgot to mention the details. I do not have premium sound, the standard head unit is running replaced door speakers (i switched them out with infinity reference components for the front doors and two way units in the back doors). Additionally, I have a JL Class D amp (that is switched on with the radio) connected with a 1 farad capacitor, amp has a power draw direct from the battery and it drives a single 12 inch Eclipse Sub. I upgraded the sound system three and a half years ago.

I will take your advice and ask the local shop where i take my vehicle to take a look. In the interum do share any additional thoughts you may have. Appreciate all your help

Old 02-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

it sounds like you have had the awhile, when did you first notice the radio thing? before or after you "upgraded" it? what type of work was done around the same time you first noticed this radio issue?

Old 02-24-2009, 03:02 PM

Hi jvegas, the "Silence" issue with the stereo started occurring about 2 years ago after I installed the ACM. After the unit's installation i noticed this issue with the seat adjustment occuring when the CDC option is selected. I am not too sure if it's the ACM that is faulty. In the past I never checked what occurs when i move the seat while playing a CD or listening to the radio (as i hardly use those options).

Now as of today, with the HID's installed in the fog's, I notice that the AM/FM, CD and CDC options all go silent once the lights are powered up and then resume sound again. I dont think the stereo dies, seems like its still powered as when using the CDC and CD option the display functions normally and is still counting the song time elapsed... when playing the radio, it displays the channel info etc.