Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EML and misfire

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 07:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EML and misfire

Guys,

Having now passed another MOT with flying colours, im now looking to embark on rectifying the EML and subsequent fault codes.

There is a small misfire and performance is slightly down I notice. When the EML flashes this is generally when I put my foot down and the car judders with a slight loss of power. After 20 seconds the light goes solid and performance is returned. Codes I get on the OBD are: -

P0300
P1313
P1420
and one pending which doesn't show.

Really strange as this only happens when the revs increase past 3000rpm.

Any ideas please where to start looking?

Old 06-02-2017, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The engine codes you have listed indicate P0300 = random misfire P1313 = Catalytic convertor not functioning efficiently BANK 1 and P1420 I think you have misread, I think it is actually P0420 O2 sensor failure BANK 1.
There is no listing for a P1420 code in the DTC list.
The flashing EML light indicates you are damaging the catalytic convertor and the limit below 3000 RPM's is the X-Type version of limp mode to save the convertor.
Bank 1 is the side closest to the passenger compartment. You will need to remove the intake manifold to check and change plugs and coils. While the manifold is off it is easier to change the upper O2 sensor which is what a code P0420 would indicate.
I would recommend while you are at it to check the usual areas of vacuum leaks for the X-Type.
1. PCV hose from valve to manifold. If your hose is smooth you need to change it to the update ribbed hose. The smooth one has tends to wear on the bottom and leak.
2. Change the EMT O-rings to the updated O-ring seals.
3. Check the brake booster check valve for wear and cracking and replace if damaged.
4. Install new intake manifold upper and lower gaskets.
5. Check the individual coil/spark plug cavities for oil. If oil is found then replace the cam cover gasket.
6. Renew the Bank 1 spark plugs as a minimum.

The above will get you started and after you have inspected get back to us and let us know how things look and we can move on from there.

Last edited by avern1; 06-02-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

The flashing light means the misfire is so severe that it is causing damage to your catalytic converter. Stop driving the car until you get it sorted.

The P0300 is a general misfire. I am surprised that you do not also have another code(s) to denote which specific cylinder has the misfire, like P300X where the last number denotes the specific cylinder. Check the coils and spark plugs. You have been dealing with this since at least January. You might want to consider going to a dealer or a mechanic to sort out before you do any more damage to the catalytic converter. It might already be too late to save it. It certainly is not going to get better on its own.

Here is something from the Jaguar DTC Summary list:

If on the first trip, the misfire is severe enough to cause excess exhaust emission, the individual cylinder DTC plus DTC P1316 will be logged. The CHECK ENGINE MIL
will not be activated. If the fault reoccurs on the second trip, the individual cylinder DTC plus DTC P1316 will be flagged, and the CHECK ENGINE MIL will be activated.
If on the first trip, the misfire is severe enough to cause catalyst damage (more severe than excess exhaust emission), the CHECK ENGINE MIL will flash while the
fault is present and the individual cylinder DTC plus DTC P1313 (bank 1), DTC P1314 (bank 2) will be logged. When the fault is no longer present the MIL will be deactivated.
If the fault reoccurs on the second trip, the CHECK ENGINE MIL will flash while the fault is present and the individual cylinder DTC plus DTC P1313 (bank 1),
DTC P1314 (bank 2) will be flagged. When the fault is no longer present the CHECK ENGINE MIL will be activated.

Old 06-02-2017, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Wow thanks that should give me something to do at the weekend.
avern1 you are indeed correct, the codes were
0300, 1313, 0420 & 1000
I'm guessing from the replies checking plug Wells for oil would be first move, then coils, then O2 sensor.
its had a full service including plugs only 200 miles ago and was a present fault when I bought it so could be a coil or the O2 sensor.
how do you test each of these easily please?

Old 06-02-2017, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The difficulty in troubleshooting is that we don't have a specific cylinder responsible for the misfire according to the codes. Before we start chasing things clear all of the codes so that you only have P1000 remaining. Then remove the battery cables and disconnect the ECM module. It is located under the hood on the right hand side of the engine compartment near the windshield. Clean the connectors with electrical contact cleaner and a soft brush. Reconnect the plug on the ECM and then reconnect the battery. Take it for a nice long ride varying acceleration and terrain then read the codes again.
Please report back the results.

There is no easy way to test coils without specialized equipment that is more than the cost of replacing all coils.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

When you said you had "a full service" what did that consist of? Did you have the check engine light on when you took it in? I can't believe that if it has been running like this for a while wherever you took it couldn't address it or missed it. From your description it sounds like it would be pretty obvious. Did the condition get any better or worse after the service?

Good luck. I hope you get it sorted soon. Please report back on what is found.