X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine cranks but no start when warm/hot

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 12:24 PM
Received 695 Likes on 349 Posts
Default Engine cranks but no start when warm/hot

Hello everyone, im having a starting issue on my 2004 X-type 3.0 (135,000 miles). In the morning when its cool, the car will start right up. When trying to start it while it's hot or warm, it will crank but not turn over.

Tested battery with multimeter - Within specs

Tested fuel pressure with Elm327 - Within specs

Coils/Spark plugs were replaced a few months ago and pin point tests show good signal and voltage to coils.

No DTC codes.

Small oil leak from VCT solenoid grommet in front.

The car eventually starts after cranking for a while. But I usually have to get a jump since cranking it that long drains the battery every time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:41 AM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

When's last time fuel filter was changed? If warm engine starts after extended cranking I'd suspect a fuel delivery problem. Your fuel injectors may be clogged; run some injector cleaner (Seafoam, Techron, etc.) through the tank. On the spark side you could have a faulty crankshaft position sensor - works when cold but not so well when heated up. Lots of good DIY vids on YouTube. Here's one:

Old 09-11-2016, 10:59 AM
Received 695 Likes on 349 Posts

Thanks, swingwing. I ended up replacing the battery, and cleaning all the terminals and wire connections and grounds to the battery. Now it starts just fine!! I didn't realize the battery was 4+ years old.

I did buy a $15 crankshaft pos sensor replacement, but ended up not even needing to install it.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:09 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Battery is heart of car's electrical system, so you were correct in looking at that in detail. When troubleshooting a car problem I've learned to start with the basics, then work up from there. Good on yer!