X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Underside Cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 04:20 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Engine Underside Cover

Back in 2008, my poor X-Type Sport was damaged when my neighbor backed into it. I had moved it away from my driveway so construction guys would go where near it & my neighbor who had been away for a week, popped into his pickup truck with its new cap & and made contact…

His $300 estimate resulted in a $5K body shop repair bill. One of the Xenon headlights had to be replaced. When I got it home, the automatic leveling feature didn't work, so I took it to my dealership and had an oil change and some other stuff done- I don't recall all.

About 8 months later, I go to do my first oil change and I notice the cover is missing from the underside of the engine. I call the body shop & the dealer- no one knows or had one laying around.

So my question is how many of you still have your covers or have removed them to make it easier to do an oil change? I just called one of the internet Jaguar parts places and they don't know if the X-Type has a cover… Well, I know it did. I'm not sure if it's worth my time & energy to replace it. I imagine it is a costly item as well.

My 1984 Volvo had one as well, but it self destructed after 15 years.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:09 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

Backhertz, my X has a cover over the engine. As for cost, the Jaguar recommended price is $115.00. That isn't too bad. I was expecting something a lot more knowing what dealerships want for decorative plastic.

The following users liked this post:
Backhertz (01-30-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Thermo, I don't think he means the decorative top piece but rather the undertray.

The petrol models had an undertray only at the very front of the car, and it didn't really reach underneath the engine. Diesel models, on the other hand, had that and also a very large single-piece plastic & rubber undertray under the engine and gearbox for better soundproofing. I saw a photo of a diesel undertray once and got interested, but it turned out one wasn't made for the petrol model.

Last edited by Aonsaithya; 01-10-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Backhertz (02-01-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 01:04 AM

Yes, it's called the under tray. I called one of the internet dealerships and the guy said he doesn't think the X-Type has an engine under tray.

But here it is attached.

Tony

Attached Files
Old 01-30-2013, 02:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

That's a screenshot from JEPC, and as you can see it says "Diesel". The GUI is a bit misleading as it may not be immediately apparent that "Diesel" is the parent menu of the VIN range child menus. If you click on the "Diesel", it will collapse all the children, thus proving that they belong under it.

Backhertz (02-01-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 06:41 AM
Veteran member

Backhertz, like Aonsaithya says, that tray is for the diesel engine, not the gas engine. There is no tray that goes under the car other than the tray that goes from the front bumper to the front suspension. There is a small scoop that goes under the transfer case that helps provide cooling.

Backhertz (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 07:50 AM

Wow. This is strange. I changed my own oil a few times during the first few years when service was covered by the dealership. I have a cover I had to remove which was a pain in the rear to do an oil change. I can look under the car and see where the screws/retainers used to go, but the cover is gone. I noticed it in a few months after I had some body work done & it was time for an oil change- the cover was gone. I went to my dealership & they knew what it was, but hadn't seen one in the shop; nor did the body shop. It disappeared. Is it possible it was special for the 2004.5 Sport model? I know on my 1984 Volvo, it too had a lower engine cover which many people removed & discarded. Mine simply self disintegrated. On my X-Type, I liked it as it kept stuff from getting into the engine. But made an oil change a pain because the cover had to removed to get to the oil pan or the filter. Ripley's Believe It or Not…honest.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:08 PM
Veteran member

Backhertz, what you are describing is the air scoop that helps direct air up to the transfer case to help keep it cool. These are notorious for getting lost on our cars. Any sort of item sticking up from the road is enough to rip off that plastic scoop. A good snowfall and that scoop will be gone.

If you ask them about the scoop that goes on the transfer case, they should know what you are talking about. I know most of us drive with it gone as a good rain and a run through a puddle will rip it off. More hassle than it is worth as I see it. THe dealership may not know what it is as most cars do not come in with it installed since it has been ripped off and the owner never realized it.

Backhertz (02-01-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 02:18 PM

Thanks for the responses. This is strange. I received an email from one of the Jaguar places and they too tell me the same thing. What's weird is I have clips where the screws used to go to secure the cover. I haven't seen it since 2008 when I last did an oil change. Then the car was in a body shop & the the dealership.

I have item #3 on the attachment. On it are two clips which were used to secure this cover, but the screws are gone- the clips remain. When I do my next oil change- which won't be for a while, I'll take pics of all the places the cover was secured.

There was something under there, but it's been so long I can't recall. When I noticed it missing, my service advisor at the dealership told me they looked & had the body shop look, as well. They never told me there was no cover. This is really bizarre. But I have bigger fish to fry. Thanks guys.

Tis a puzzlement.

Attached Thumbnails Engine Underside Cover-xtype-front-bumper.jpg  

Last edited by Backhertz; 01-31-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:33 PM
Veteran member

Backhertz, that tray is the tray that goes under the radiator, not under the engine. I think that is why we are all a little confused. Part #3 per your diagram bolts in to the underside of the front bumper and then runs back to the front edge of the front wheel wells and there are a few fasteners just inside the front tires that also hold the plate in place.

Looking online, that part is called a "valance panel". jaguar list price is $310.00, but through Jaguarparts.com, they sell it for $241.80 plus S&H. Do not forget that you may need some fasteners to hold it in place. I know the fasteners just inside of the front wheels are 10mm bolts. The rest I think also use 10mm bolts, but do not quote me on that. You would have to do a little bit of looking around.

Backhertz (02-01-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 06:05 AM

Ouch! Ka-ching. My memory is not as good as it use to be. I knew they is something else. I just need to try and find a pic or illustrated parts break down. Thanks again. After seeing the diesel tray, I bet you a million bucks, it made me think of my 1984 Volvo which had a complete cover which ultimately self-destructed after x years. I drove the Volvo for 24 years during which I changed the oil every 3K miles- I don't want to start an oil change thing…