X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exporting my XType to Costa Rica

Old 03-22-2010, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exporting my XType to Costa Rica

I have an 05 Sportwagon. I am trying to decide if it is even remotely practical to ship the car to Costa Rica when I go. I talked to the GM of THE Jaguar dealer here in Cr and he discouraged the idea. I think that he is hoping that I will purchase a Jag from him. I am suspect of his reasoning--he said that the cars Imported are "Tropical edition" cars and that the software and connectors are different. Frankly, I can not imagine that a small company like Jaguar could make such distinctions.
The one absolutely true statement was "If you bring this vehicle to Costa Rica you will have the only one and you will have to own it for life."
Soooooo, I am curious and anxiously await your feedback.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like a eff load of bs, i know for afact some cars sold in the us, are not ALLOWED in canada, such as the older evo's, but, a car like our jags should have no probs. If ur shipping, i recommend getting a container, and making sure ur car has minimal contact with salt water, it is well worht the extra.

When my freind had his rx7 shipped over from japan, it came in pristine condition, where as his brothers was battered, still in good shape, but we will see how much rust shows up in the internals.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had an XKR shipped to China, costing something like $3000 shipping plus import taxes (50% plus), etc. I would see how much if any they charge to import personal cars. Also, having run it in the super polluted, heaaaaavy traffic and heat, the car needs a lot more attention than it used to. I assume these are not factors in Costa Rica, but something to think about.

The fuel octane, additives, and quality of fuel in costa rica are what should concern you, so I would try to check that before you commit to anything. (I have no idea how good or bad it is compared to the original intended market of the car). As far as "tropical edition" I am not sure that would be valid, especially with the ECU controlling your fuel and ignition.

Here is a helpful link: http://www.costarica.com/retirement/...auto-expenses/