X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finicky Backup sensors

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Finicky Backup sensors

My back up sensors come on at the oddest times. When I back out of my driveway sometimes they will come on and there is nothing in back of me. Other times I practically have to be right on top of the car behind me before they come on. Other times they work fine. Anyone have any idea what might be the problem. Note I took it to my local Jaguar dealer and they said the sensors are working as Jaguar specifics.

I also had the dealer check the suspension and they said it was fine, The service manager said the roughness I feel is from the 17" wheels and low profile tires on the car. Any comments?

Old 09-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  19.3 KB

Do a search on park assist sensors...Its been covered quite a few times and may be in the FAQ as well I'm sure.

As for the 17's and a rough ride? I had 17's on my X type but with decent rubber, 45 on the sidewalls if I remember and they were fine...what are you running tyre wise?

Old 09-08-2010, 06:13 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Adam, as for the different sensitivities of the back up sensors, look at the object you are back up to. For example, the backup sensors are aimed slightly down. So, they are going to be more sensitive to say a curb (ie, detect it out at a greated distance) than say a large pickup truck (bumper is up high).

As for your rough ride, what pressure are you running inside your tires? If you are up around say 40 psi vice down around 32 psi, that can dramatically affect the ride quality. I'm sure some other members can talk about their experiences about this. Try checking your pressures and see where they are at. If they are up around 40 psi (assuming the max rating of the tire is that high), try lowering them down to 32-35 psi (the lower the pressure the softer the ride). This will still be high enough to get good tire wear but soft enough to give a nicer ride.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:31 PM
Smile ride

Originally Posted by JimC64

Do a search on park assist sensors...Its been covered quite a few times and may be in the FAQ as well I'm sure.

As for the 17's and a rough ride? I had 17's on my X type but with decent rubber, 45 on the sidewalls if I remember and they were fine...what are you running tyre wise?
I am running Conti pro contacts 225 45 17's. I also have to realize that my Benz was a bigger car with 15" tires and had a ride that I was use to after 11 years of ownership.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Smile Sensors

I did an search on sensors and came up with a full page of threads, but none of them were very helpful, the only one that suggested something different then what I have already tried is the reverse switch. I also took a magnifier to the keys the original set which looked like the set the previous owner used and the other set which look brand new and I use, as the original set did not make the sensors work, under magnifier the original set the nibs that stick up are a bit rounded off and the other set they are more pointy. If this means anything I do not know. Checked the box in the trunk looks good no water, trunk is dry as a bone no dirt or corrosion. So I don't know, I guess this is just one of the mysteries of life.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:05 AM
Smile Sensors and ride

Originally Posted by Thermo
Adam, as for the different sensitivities of the back up sensors, look at the object you are back up to. For example, the backup sensors are aimed slightly down. So, they are going to be more sensitive to say a curb (ie, detect it out at a greated distance) than say a large pickup truck (bumper is up high).
My driveway has a slight slope to it, according to where I am parked on it the sensor will go off as soon as I put the car in reverse, I assume the sensor is picking up the driveway. But what gets me, there are times they will sound when a car in back of me is a good distance and the sound off. Other times I have to be almost on top of the car in back of me for them to sound off. Strange.

As for your rough ride, what pressure are you running inside your tires? If you are up around say 40 psi vice down around 32 psi, that can dramatically affect the ride quality. I'm sure some other members can talk about their experiences about this. Try checking your pressures and see where they are at. If they are up around 40 psi (assuming the max rating of the tire is that high), try lowering them down to 32-35 psi (the lower the pressure the softer the ride). This will still be high enough to get good tire wear but soft enough to give a nicer ride.
I run 32 psi all round in my tires, and the ride is not particularly rough it is noisy, as compared to the Benz I owned.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

My sensors worked fine for 2-3 months, then started acting erratic. When I'd fire up the car they emitted a long tone (20 seconds) then it got choppy then nothing, I checked my sensors while having the engine running and the car in reverse and nothing, no clicks or whatever so I am assuming the unit is pooched.

And Adam, I have the sport with 18" rims and 40 series, run at 32 PSI and although it corners like it's on rails it's pretty rough, sport adds stiffer suspension and I dont think the seats are as cushy. I run winter tires on 16" rims and it's like floating on a cloud comparitively speaking.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Smile Sensors

I've been thinking about this back up sensor business and have decided to leave as is. The Benz I had, had a similar system called Parktronic, it had the sensors in the same area as my Jaguar. There system was much more sensitive, when you put the car in reverse a beep sounded telling you the system was working, 2 beeps and there was a fault in the system. The sensor would pick up objects from as far as 10 feet away and as you got closer the beeps became more rapid and louder. Jaguar's system is different not saying is any better or worse just different then the Benz system. The system works I just have to be careful until I get use to it.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Smile Ride

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
My sensors worked fine for 2-3 months, then started acting erratic. When I'd fire up the car they emitted a long tone (20 seconds) then it got choppy then nothing, I checked my sensors while having the engine running and the car in reverse and nothing, no clicks or whatever so I am assuming the unit is pooched.

And Adam, I have the sport with 18" rims and 40 series, run at 32 PSI and although it corners like it's on rails it's pretty rough, sport adds stiffer suspension and I dont think the seats are as cushy. I run winter tires on 16" rims and it's like floating on a cloud comparitively speaking.
One thing I will say the Jaguar handles very well, very little lean around corners and the steering to me is very direct and responsive. Also, the seats in my car are more comfortable then the Benz I had and I have a much easier time getting in and out of the Jaguar then I did with the Benz.

Last edited by Adam Lueb; 09-10-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Smile Sensors

As I mentioned is a earlier post my driveway has a slight slant upward as you drive in. If I stop the car at the apex of the slant or the highest point before it levels off and put the car in reverse the sensors come on. Now that I know the sensors are pointed downward, they must be sensing the driveway. When I back out of the driveway they stop.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Pardon my French but F those F'ing sensors.

I got tired of replacing them. One is on the fritz and it's not getting fixed, not on my watch anyway.

That is all.