Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flat spots, the odd stall, uneven running at start up

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flat spots, the odd stall, uneven running at start up

Hello all,
I wondered if you could help at all before i have to surrender and give it to the garage....

2.2diesel estate 2007, 80k miles.

Ive had a little problem with getting flat spots at low revs for some time now when i floor the pedal fast, (not so often if i depress it gently). After getting a few tips from here, (I'm no mechanic, but willing to 'have a go') Ive recently changed the fuel filter (bosch), cleaned and refitted the MAF sensor and cleaned and refitted the EGR valve following the helpful instructions on the forum. (EGR valve was new in 2011, 63k miles).

No fault lights are showing on the dash and just received a D900 scanner this morning and tried it and its showing NO DTC's.

When i first start the engine it runs a little erratically between 720 - 1200 ish revs, varies up and down and sometimes stalls the odd time. Whitish smoke cloud sometimes visible. When driving its as i mentioned earlier, flat spots through the gears, mainly when i put my foot down fast and often more prevalent when its around 30mph. Im also getting the odd time when it wont allow me to rev over about 2500revs (Is this the 'limp mode' i ve seen referred to?)

Anyways, I wondered if there was anything else you could suggest i should / could try before surrendering??

Best regards,

Dave

Old 09-19-2015, 10:47 AM

Couple of developments..........

The engine light came on while driving earlier this afternoon so tried the diagnostic scan again and the DTC's said:

P0401 exhaust gas recirculation flow insufficient detected

P0405 exhaust gas recirculation sensor 'A' circuit low

Are these both referring to a faulty EGR valve or could it be something else?

I took the EGR valve off only 2 days ago and cleaned it (but didnt take the spring clipped section apart). Would it be worth doing it again and taking it apart ? or does the above warrant doing something else?

I notice from the service records that came with the car that the EGR valve was actually replaced on 29-12-2011 at 64000miles. the car has only covered 80k now, is this a little unusual for these cars?

many thanks

Dave

Old 09-20-2015, 09:55 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Dave: Suggestion - since no one has responded to your query for 3 days, try reposting it on JaguarForum's UK site, where diesel owners are more prevalent. Here's a link to UK's X-Type forum: X-Type

Old 09-21-2015, 03:04 AM

Thanks DW,
Will have a look. Was wondering about the lack of replies with over 200 views!!

Old 09-23-2015, 10:54 AM

In case anyone wondered, i did take the EGR valve off once more and took the spring clip off and checked/lubricated the cogs. All seemed to be working ok and the valve seemed to actuate properly. I put it back together but no joy.....car still playing up.

This morning i installed one of the blanking plates with a hole in it on the EGR that i purchased from E bay for about 3 quid. Just done 20 miles and the problem seems to be cured, Unbelievable! However, i do have an indicator light on the dash and the code is P0405, 'Exhaust gas recirculation sensor 'A' circuit low readings'.

I think i can live with this and check the codes now and then for awhile, until i bite the bullet and shell out around £130 for a new EGR valve!

Happy motoring!...

Dave