Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog light/horn intermittent fault

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 07:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fog light/horn intermittent fault

Hi all

I've been trying to get to bottom of why my fog lights and horns only work intermittently and Im hoping someone can shed some light on it.

I've grouped the two problems into one thread because when they work, and when they don't seems to coincide with one another, so it could be they share a common fault.

Focusing on the fog lights, I have done the following checks,

- Checked voltage across fuse 2 and confirm 12v on both tabs
- Removed main switch and bridged pins 11 & 15 but no fog lights.
- Checked voltage on pin 15 and confirm 12v
- Checked relay 1 (main beam & fog) and confirm 12v on pin 3
- Bridged pins 3 & 4 on relay 1 and no main or fog come on, try bridging again while ignition on but no main or fog come on, try again with ignition on and main switch on but no main or fog come on.
- Put relay 1 back in, main light works, fog lights doesnt.

What I have noticed is that both fog lights are affected at the same time, whether working or not. The fault with the horn also seems to be present when the fogs are not working. And when the fogs are working, they seem very dim.

Im also thinking, (but not 100% sure) that when the horns have worked, they havent always been as loud as I would expect. - For info, they are new horns and tested okay when directly connected to the battery.

Is it possible I've a grounding problem somewhere??

Please help.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:01 AM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

I'd say you've got a bad ground. You'll probably have to get front end up and wheels off to pull back the fender liners and/or splash shield beneath radiator to have a look.

Attached Thumbnails Fog light/horn intermittent fault-r-wheelwell.jpg  
Old 12-20-2016, 05:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found the culprit. I had a good look around the engine bay with a torch and found a couple small grounding points located between the battery and the headlight, and they were completely corroded. It required the battery and battery tray to be removed to gain access, but by recrimping the wire and relocating the point, it solved the problem. And the fog lights are even brighter too. Bonus!!!

The following users liked this post:
swingwing (12-20-2016)