X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fogging Windshield When Started?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fogging Windshield When Started?

My 2002 X-Type gets a foggy windshield when I first fire it up. Is this a heater core problem or is there a common hose or something I need to replace? Any how-to on what to do to fix it would be good. I hope its not a heater core!

Old 12-16-2008, 07:37 AM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Fogging Windshield When Started?

Do you smell coolant?

Old 12-16-2008, 09:10 AM

I don't think I do and I know that I need to normally. My best guess is that it is a heater core but NOBODY SELLS THEM! Also I figure if I am in there doing a heater core I should do a air conditioner evaporator core too. Any thoughts? My searches bring up ZERO people complaining of a heater core issue on the X-type 2.5 or 3.0.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Perhaps you have a water logged cabin air filter?

Old 12-16-2008, 10:38 AM

AHHH wonderful suggestion! Let me look into that! I assume that is an easy change? I am going to search now!

Old 12-16-2008, 12:03 PM

Ok I figured out how to take apart the cowl and the filter is real dirty but there isn't any water on the filter. I have yet to try and see if there is any water any further down. I am looking for any other suggestions you all might have. The vehicle is never parked in the rain. The only rain it sees would be when it is driven in the rain and that is for a maximum of 4 or 5 miles at most. It hasn't been in the rain for an extended period in so long so I don't think its rain water. Has anyone replaced a heater core or know anybody who has?

Old 12-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

NoPaint, before you go replacing the heater core, I would try to blow some air through the heater core to see if it is plugged or not. Since you are not smelling coolant, you know that it isn't leaking. So, by removing the hoses from the engine to the heater core, you can use some compressed air and see if you can get some movement of the fluid left in the core. If you do get movement, then that would leave very few other things that could be the problem and replacing the heater core will not fix anything for you. I just recently had to fix a neighbors heater core that had gotten plugged. I used some 120 psi air and a slug of water to "beat" the plug loose. In this case, it was a bunch of RTV that had collected inside the core.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member

I agree w/Thermo - try to do a little more poking around before you go yanking out the heater core, since it is not obviously leaking.

Now - is your A/C light lit up when you use the defroster? It should be, actually you can't turn it off when using the straight defrost (but you can when you use the defrost + foot vent setting). The X is prone to fogging more the most cars it seems. Can you de-fog the car with the a/c on? Is the a/c system functional?

And finally do you have any other sources of humidity - wet mats, spilled drink, etc?

Old 12-16-2008, 02:14 PM
ud

Besides the above suggestions..I would see if the condensate drain is not plugged and not letting out any A/C condensate...

Old 12-16-2008, 02:51 PM

Gentlemen-

The car is near perfect and clean so no soggy mats.

I don't think a block in heater core is the problem because that wouldn't get water into the air of the car.

The defrost works quite well but the car steams up unless you run the defrost.

Where is the condensate drain plug? I would think this could be something to look at for sure. Cowl is still apart so let me know. Thanks guys.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

Good call Dennis. Where is that drain anyway?

Old 12-16-2008, 03:00 PM

I think so too. There were some leaves and such in the box but not much. I would guess it would only take a little one to block it. It was quite clean in there like I said before because the vehicle doesn't see the bad weather at all.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:16 PM
ud

ORIGINAL: NoPaint

Where is the condensate drain plug? I would think this could be something to look at for sure. Cowl is still apart so let me know. Thanks guys.
I will have to defer to Brutal or another experienced with this..I have never looked for it, but common sense would tell me to start by looking from underneath up inline with the fire wall..or look inside where a rubber hose passes through the floor or firewall

Old 12-16-2008, 11:17 PM

Just to update the group on what steps I am taking and for any future owners. I am going to remove the filter box and clean it out. When I determine that it is clean I will them reinstall it with a new filter and try it out. I think the way it drains is simply from a tiny channel at the bottom of the filter box which on mine is pretty clogged. I will clear it out and reassemble. If there isn't any more steaming I will assume it was the filter.

Question: I haven't touched the coolant since I have owned it and it is down to about an inch of coolant in the reservoir....is this how much you guys have? Remember I bought this car in 2001 and haven't even touched the radiator cap or tank cap...so I figure that much could have just evaporated even.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member

It doesn't sound like you have any type of coolant leak. So go top that thing off already!

Did you ever check into the a/c ? Is it working right?

you may as well swap in a new cabin filter now. They run anywhere from $15 to $25 (US). Some of us get them online (Bosch), some have had success going to Carquest with the filter, presenting it to the sales person, and asking them to go find a match - apparently it will not come up in the computer.

Finally, after your problem is corrected, might I suggest using an interior de-fogging product. I found this stuff called "G" - they make oil and other bio-degradable oil type products. They have an anti-fog solution that I have used and it works quite well. I've also used G chainsaw lube - good stuff. Soy based.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:30 AM
ud

Sounds like the clogged drain may have been your problem.

On the coolant issue..Since it is the original, it would be highly advisable to drain and refill with fresh Jag coolant with 50% distilled water..fill the expansion tank to the bottom of the black top.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:46 AM

The AC works perfectly. Like I was saying above, when you turn on the AC the fog goes away. The car doesn't fog all the time either so I think that it might be the clogged drain slot. If you look at where the filter sits the drain is a whole slot down the bottom and mine has dirt all along it. I suspect that was also holding some water. Lets see what happens. I think I will just get a new filter from the dealer or Advance Auto Parts.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: Dennis

Sounds like the clogged drain may have been your problem.

On the coolant issue..Since it is the original, it would be highly advisable to drain and refill with fresh Jag coolant with 50% distilled water..fill the expansion tank to the bottom of the black top.
On a side note, I had a problem with the a/c dumping water on the floor of my Grand Cherokee. I located the condensate drain, and if you can believe this, the drain runs into the framerail in the enginebay. The only problem is that the rail is completely boxed in (welded)!! So I had to bore a hole into the drain area, then run a coathanger wire through the drain to unclog it.

Let's hope Jaguar's engineers thought it out a little better on the X type1

NoPaint - sounds like you are on the right track and I'm glad you didn't tear out your heater core! I hate to tell you this, but the X is just a foggy car. Where do you live? I know it is worse in the spring around here.

Quick Reply: Fogging Windshield When Started?