Sponsored by:

Found my car

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 08:46 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts
Default Found my car

Last month I traded my '05 3.0 auto X-Type for a '08 Satin Edition 4.2 S-Type at a Jaguar dealer in northern NJ. I wondered what happened to it and whether that dealer (Madison Jaguar) would keep it in their inventory.

Turns out they must have auctioned it because I located it at a place not too far from Madison:

2005 Jaguar X-Type Used Cars for Sale in Hasbrouck Heights New Jersey - NJ.com

If anyone in downstate NY, NJ, or eastern PA is looking for an X-Type I would recommend going to take a look at it.

I loved that car, and maintained it completely. It had an extended warranty that paid for everything including a new headlamp assembly. It had a factory-new transfer case (the last original t-case in North America, everything now is reman...), replaced the control arms, and a bunch of other stuff.

I would be happy to discuss that car further with anyone who might be interested.
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Old 06-13-2013, 09:40 PM
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Do i detect some seller remorse creeping into your post PAB?!!! ..." .......loved that ride..... wondered what happened to her ....." I see why, it looks mint.

Hows the S treating you so far? Hope its as sweet as the old X was!

Any thoughts on pros and cons of owning the two? I only drove an S once when my x was at the dealer for a service that took a bit longer than initially scheduled. It was a pre facelift (2002) 3.0 L with a slightly unfortunate smell inside the cabin that just bugged me from the minute i got in the thing to the minute i got out. It also had a colour scheme that I would never have bought in a million years. Not suprisingly, i was happy to get my own car back but i'd be interested to get your take on pros and cons with a newer S.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:29 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>Do i detect some seller remorse creeping into your post PAB?!!!

Ya, a little...

But I really wanted to be able to own a "classic" Jaguar for the long term and didn't really feel like my X-Type would support that aim. The S-Type is a much more robust car than the X and the parts/etc. should be available much longer since it shares a lot with the current XF.

I'm really glad I had the X since it got me into Jaguars in the first place. But I'd been looking to upgrade and when this S-Type came along I couldn't resist. But

Things I don't like about the S-Type:

1) The windshield washers are attached to the wiper blade and the blades are "special" (i.e., mostly available only from the dealer and costly)

2) The wiper arms retract below the rear edge of the hood and don't bend upwards. It will be a real pain when it begins to snow.

3) My S-Type doesn't have the heated windshield. Again, this will be a pain when winter arrives.

4) Headlamps, they fail just like the ones on the X-Type, but a HID just cost me $1700.00 to replace (there is a "fix" where a 1" screw can be inserted that will bring the headlamp up to a useable height. So that is better than the X-Type problem with the plastic adjusters).

5) The trunk is narrower than the one in the X-Type. I now have to remove 2 golf clubs (D and 3) to get my golf bag to fit across (with the X I only needed remove the D to get the bag to fit.

6) RWD may be "interesting" during the winter (seeing a pattern here? Winter operation of the S-Type may be more of a challenge than the X-Type)

Things I like about the S-Type:

1) 300hp V8...

2) 30 mpg (US gallon) on the highway at 70mph :-)

3) More leg room in the back seat (but it still isn't super roomy back there...)

3) Fit and finish of the interior (everything other than the top of the door panel and the top of the dash is either leather or wood).

4) Looks fabulous EVERYONE compliments me on it (people always noticed the X-Type it's true, but people's jaws seem to drop when the see the S)

5) Expect to be able to keep it much longer than the X-Type.

================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

The following users liked this post:
Danny A Fish (06-14-2013)