Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage door opener intermittent in cold

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 04:36 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Garage door opener intermittent in cold

OK, here's a fun one.

My overhead door buttons don't work once it gets cold. Last winter this happened too. They will work sometimes, intermittently, no rhyme or reason. But fail more often than not. I will reprogram, and they will work a day or two maybe. Then back to not working.

Once spring came around and it warmed up - no problems, worked all summer.
Now it's getting cold again in the midwest and sure enough, buttons are intermittent. Yesterday, the middle button opened that door, but left and right didn't work at all on those 2 doors. Today, the left button worked on the left door, but the other 2 failed.

When you press the buttons, sometimes the light blinks, and sometimes it is solid. This may mean something. Does it think I am trying to reprogram??

My best guess is the cold is making some wire or connection go bad somehow. Any ideas??? Searched and couldn't find anything similar. TIA!

Old 10-21-2018, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Well, here's my guess. IF the homelink buttons function the same as the map and middle dome light works, it's the most idiotic board design I've ever seen.

The "button" has a flat end that presses on a "pin" embeded into a plastic collar with a rubber "toilet plunger" shaped rubber seal in the cylinder on the actual circuit board that creates a "suction" inside the cylinder. So button pushes pin that pushes the "handle" part of the little rubber "toilet plunger" inside encased cylinder to create suction. This suction actuates an on/off on the circuit board (this explains why many times you have to push map/dome button several times for it to get the "suction" just right). Mind you, it is a manual actuation not electronic.

So, possibility is the collared cylinder with "toilet plunger" rubber seal that is supposed to seal and create the "suction" to actuate the on/off on the circuit board shrinks with the cold and doesn't seal well enough to create sufficient sealed suction to work.

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 10-21-2018 at 06:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CyJag (10-23-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,906 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Remote overhead garage door opener.
What unadulterated luxury.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

My last several cars have had that and you get spoiled. Would have to have a car in the future without that feature. Really love it. Plus, you cn usually program up to three different doors in it,

Old 10-22-2018, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

here in america we have huge garages with equaly huge electric doors, operated by either a hand held remote control, or on more modern cars. a programable remote built into the car.
there are other reasons for this that as a person not living here, you would not understand.... so its really not a luxury item.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by iownme
there are other reasons for this that as a person not living here, you would not understand.... so its really not a luxury item.
.......Like to hold our giant SUVs and big *** pickup trucks. 'Merica, F*ck Yeah!

Old 10-22-2018, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, and when building your new home, remember to resize the garage door height from standard to oversized or they don't go through the opening, lol.

Or like my brother-in-law's last bay in new home. 35 foot long but not way tall like for a motor home (uncle has that $250,000 monster & no garage bay). I ask my brother-in-law, what's that bay for, it's not tall enough for a motor home. "Oh, that's for my boat". Smh.

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 10-22-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

So if anyone is interested in my initial rant on the stupid overhead console design, here it is.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...n-flaw-178846/

Old 10-22-2018, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe not a luxury item but yet another thing to go wrong and use up the electricity.
I have a fail safe garage; wooden doors, hinges and a Yale padlock.
Obviously I have to get my lardy butt out of the car to operate the doors and sometimes I have to move another car out of the way before I can get in or out of the garage but hey ho.
I knew the world was doomed the first time that I saw The 'Burbs; lazy arsed paper boy throwing the newspaper in the garden.
Couldn't believe it.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member

This is what a typical garage side of the homes looked like when I lived in Colorado. Granted we were in a gated, upper scale area, but not that uncommon elsewhere.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member

Mine was a bit more modest (3 car with openers) but did have taller openings and were insulated doors as my garage was completely finished like the inside of your home with painted floors and installed work cabinets with peg board tool holding backing.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member

This is more our style.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Steve M
Maybe not a luxury item but yet another thing to go wrong and use up the electricity.
I have a fail safe garage; wooden doors, hinges and a Yale padlock.
Obviously I have to get my lardy butt out of the car to operate the doors and sometimes I have to move another car out of the way before I can get in or out of the garage but hey ho.
I knew the world was doomed the first time that I saw The 'Burbs; lazy arsed paper boy throwing the newspaper in the garden.
Couldn't believe it.
again.....newspaper delivery....thats how its done here in america..
houses do not have mail slots in the front door like in england
and as for lazy.....i remember ripped up and un-usable newspapers coz the local chav delivery boy couldnt be bothered to even attempt to cram the newspaper in the tiny mail flap on the door.....ahhhh 70's britain!

Old 10-22-2018, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member

What's a newspaper? Or LP, or tape recorder, or Beta Max .........

Old 10-23-2018, 11:33 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks Dell. That does kind of sound like what is happening. I will have to decide whether to remove it and futz with it, replace the console module, or just use the regular door remote over the winter (most likely).

One thing that makes me wonder if the cause is different: pressing the buttons does cause the red LED to light up, even when the doors do not function. You'd think that if no contact, the red LED would not light up either.

As far as all the other noise about garages being a "luxury" - I don't understand. Why spend money on a nice car before you spend money on a garage?? Going to leave your Jag sitting on the street in the sun, rain, snow, heat, and cold? Cart before horse...

Old 10-23-2018, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

It's a car, not a wife.

Old 10-23-2018, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Steve M
It's a car, not a wife.
lmao!!

Old 10-23-2018, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

@CY, idk, as I stated IF the homelink buttons work like the map and dome buttons do. I've never tried completely dismantling a console, as looking at them it looks like a bitch to take apart the way all the plastic parts are hot "welded" together. I tore into the front part where the map/dome buttons are because of the linked above thread explanation.

Here would be the hysterical Jaguar design. The LED light is electronic and the on/off is as map/dome works on the circuit board. I wouldn't put it past them with some of the other really odd engineering (?) oddities.

If the homelink are purely electronic as the moonroof has to be, it could be a faulty or failing solder connection.

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 10-23-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member

When the homelink on the car will not open the garage door does it work with the garage door remote? Just thinking that maybe it could be something in the garage door opener itself.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member

Damn, Alpha, nice thought.....

Quick Reply: Garage door opener intermittent in cold