X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Pump Repeatedly Stops During Fill-Ups

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 02:53 PM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Gas Pump Repeatedly Stops During Fill-Ups

Since I bought this car, I've always had to pull the gas pump's nozzle out about 1" from being fully inserted so that it doesn't continuously stop.

The last couple times I filled up, no matter how I position the nozzle it stops pumping after a few seconds. This obviously makes for a very drawn-out and aggravating experience.

I'm not sure of the mechanics behind gas pumps, but it seems to me that whatever part in the car that tells the pump that the tank is full is malfunctioning. Has anyone had this issue before? Does anyone know of an easy fix?

Old 04-19-2013, 03:05 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Evan, there is a valve that is supposed to open when you turn the car off to vent the gas tank. The valve actually opens and closes as you are driving to prevent sucking the gas tank in on itself. In your case, it sounds like the valve has stuck shut, causing the trapped gas in the tank to not be able to escape as you are filling the tank. This pressure build up is what tells the gas pump to turn itself off.

if you need me to go into more detail, let me know. I am needing to test mine as I have the opposite problem in that I don't think mine is closing and it is resulting in a P0456 code (large leak).

The following users liked this post:
Lcgi (10-17-2014)
Old 04-19-2013, 03:13 PM

Yeah that seems right, it's annoying as all hell.

Is there an easy way to fix this or is it a dealer job?

I've been meaning to have them look at the issue I'm having with my driver window so I might get both of these jobs done at once

Old 04-19-2013, 11:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem. But I found that if I turn the nozzle to the 9 o'oclock position it stops cutting out. Try it and let us know if it works for you.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

The gas pump nozzle has a fairly sensitive mechanism to detect when the tank is full, so it's my understanding that the not-ideal design of the fuel filler hose on some cars causes swirling of the fuel, preventing it from going down the hose rapidly enough, thus tricking the pump nozzle into thinking the tank is full already. I've also noticed that the phenomenon depends on the angle of the nozzle, how deep you insert it, and the nozzle itself (as I have this issue on maybe 1/6 filling stations).

I recall Clarkson from Top Gear mentioning that one of the improvements in the X351 XJ over the X308 was that you could fill it up without the pump stopping all the time.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:12 AM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

I get the same problem. Also recently, if I leave mine filling it stops automatically with a small puddle of gas under the car.
As my wife says "British cars and British men. Always leave a puddle somewhere". Not sure what she means. She's from Montana and I'm from West London. After ten years of marriage I'm still amazed by her!
Anyway, here's a dancing banana....

Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
jimgoose (04-22-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 12:10 PM

I would have described the behavior as "quirky" before, since I could still fill it up completely without repeated stops. But, as I said, no matter how I position the nozzle now it stops after a few seconds. So now it's elevated itself to "annoying-as -all-hell" status.

I believe Thermo's response is the answer to the problem here, but I need some more details on where this valve is. I'd like to fix this myself but if it's in a difficult location I may have to take it in

Old 04-20-2013, 06:59 PM
Veteran member

Evan, the part that you are after most likely is what is referred to as the Purge System Vent Valve. When I look at the diagrams on Jaguarparts.com, they simply call it a "solenoid". The solenoid is $107 (add in more for S&H). The part is located right next to the vapor canistor near the back of the car.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:04 PM

Thanks Chris

I actually had to fill up yesterday. I found that if I pump the gas much slower then I don't run into this issue.

With this information, are you still thinking this solenoid is to blame? I thought there was some sort of air vent hose that runs up to the filler cap, and since it works at lower flow rates perhaps that hose is pinched?

I have no idea how this system works though so if you're thinking it's the solenoid I'll order that part

Old 04-22-2013, 02:29 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Default No Are Not Alone...

I don't have this situation with my Jaguar, but I did have it with my 2002 Mazda Protege5. I learned to slowly fill the fuel tank and that seemed to help.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:59 PM
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

My '99 S-Type does that too.
Originally Posted by flyrr100
I get the same problem. Also recently, if I leave mine filling it stops automatically with a small puddle of gas under the car.
As my wife says "British cars and British men. Always leave a puddle somewhere". Not sure what she means. She's from Montana and I'm from West London. After ten years of marriage I'm still amazed by her!
Anyway, here's a dancing banana....
Promote that man!

Old 04-22-2013, 03:03 PM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts

Same here - if the pump supplies fuel too quickly it will keep tripping out - easing the holster back so is less into the filler can help as can slowing the flow.. but it seems to depend on the pump more than your car - had the same issue to a lesser degree with a Vauxhall Vectra :-) Some petrol; stations never have a problem, others I think have the fuel pump set too high ...

Old 04-22-2013, 03:37 PM

My issue is different than what most of you are suggesting. I had the same experience before, and I could simply pull the nozzle out a little and continue. Now, unless I pump extremely slowly, it stops every few seconds. This is regardless of how far in the nozzle is or what crazy angle it's positioned in, believe me I have tried every possible adjustment.

Instead, my issue is definitely related to some problematic part. I mean one fill-up went completely "normal" and the next a few weeks later had this issue, which has persisted ever since.

Such a night and day difference must be explained by something other than a design flaw

Old 04-22-2013, 07:24 PM
Veteran member

Evan, keep in mind that the vent tube you talk about that leads back up to the gas cap is still going to trap the air under the fill nozzle. The vent valve vents the air through a charcoal canister via a completely different route. So, I am still thinking that the vent valve is still your issue.

What you may also experience is if you do a long drive and then fill up right afterwards, you may find that the gas tank will have a decent vacuum on it (as noted by the sound of air moving when you open the gas cap). This would be another sign that the vent valve has failed.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:11 PM

Alright, Chris, thanks. Do you have the part number by any chance?

Also, do you think this is something I could tackle in my driveway or is it a more complex job suited to a mechanic?

Old 05-05-2013, 08:35 PM

Well, the issue has resolved itself. I filled up a couple days ago and had no issues; I just put the nozzle in, set the automatic lever at the pump, and waited for it to fill all the way up. Seems like something was stuck and is now "un-stuck".

Works for me, I guess we'll just call this part of the car's British personality.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Slow gas tank fill solved!

I have had 3 X-types, and all have developed the tripping behavior as they aged. I finally took the purge solenoid valve out (can be done with patience by reaching up from underneath behind the gas tank and prying with long screwdriver). Tested the valve and 12V makes it close. Took apart the end of the valve (depress plastic tangs with small screwdriver) and removed the thin rubber flap (see photo). Put it all back without the flap and WOW I can fill up at full speed. Perhaps the rubber flap stiffens with age?

Attached Thumbnails Gas Pump Repeatedly Stops During Fill-Ups-purge_valve.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by John B:
hondakillah (03-06-2016), Lcgi (10-17-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 11:28 AM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

Yep, rotate the petrol pump nozzle 30º clockwise and flow into tank improves - dunno why;
maybe that allows some air to get in there too?

But as has been said above.... its mostly a problem caused by the outlet pressure from the petrol pump itself - which varies from place to place.

Patience is a virtue....

Old 05-17-2018, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2005 Xtype started this a few years ago.
for a while turning the gas pump by 30-90 degrees helped but not anymore.
This bulletin states on the bottom of page 4 that the root cause can be the evaporative canister close valve (CCV) if it stucks close:
http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/...e%20System.pdf

Old 05-18-2018, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

this happened to me during some especially cold weather this winter.
the day the weather warmed up a little it fixed itself (much to my relief)
i also found the same info as you but i could not figure out where the part was located... and besides....it was waaaay to cold outside to work on

Quick Reply: Gas Pump Repeatedly Stops During Fill-Ups