X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gearbox Fault

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearbox Fault

I have a 2003 AWD X-Type (2.5) with 164,000 miles on it. Recently, I've been getting a message saying "Gearbox Fault" and "Cruise Control Not Available" even though when I turn on the cruise control it works fine. Also, sometimes after driving the car for a while and shut it off, when I go to start the car nothing happens. I have to keep turning the ignition until it finally does start. The ignition problem has become a little bit more severe recently. Eventually the gearbox message goes away as I keep resetting the messages.

I'm concerned that one day I won't be able to start it up again. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Old 10-29-2017, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The first step is to get the battery load tested. If the battery proves to be in good condition then you will have to look at changing out the battery cables and cleaning the ground points. The cables are known to corrode internally and once your Jag starts receiving low voltage it throws all manner of false codes.
You should also have the alternator tested in the vehicle to iinsure you are getting the proper output voltage.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:17 PM

I should say that I've had a "check engine" light on for the longest time. I had the battery checked and it's fine. I'll need to check the positive battery cable because it looks like it's a little frayed but I don't know if that would cause the problem - the wiring is a little exposed. However, what makes me wonder why this is all happening is this: I have to let the car run in the morning for about 5 minutes or more. If I don't, it misfires and works at a "safe mode?"--- brakes don't work properly, sometimes the check engine light flashed rather than staying on all the time. A mechanic that looked at it told me to change a certain filter (trying to find which one) and then check with him again because he's getting so many different codes.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Well a check engine light sheds a different light on the problem. The first thing to do is take it to the nearest auto parts store that will read the codes. Have then clear all of the codes and drive for awhile around town and open road then go back and get the codes read.
Once you have the new codes post the code numbers and we can offer help from there.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

If you have a flashing light that means the misfire is bad enough it vould be doing damage to your catalytic converters. I would not recommend driving it if the light is flashing. Could be plugs, coils, manifold gaskets, etc. Have it checked out and fixed quickly.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:12 PM
Default Gearbox Fault

The car seems to indicate that it is is "Drive" even though it doesn't move when it's in "Park". The light on the gear shifter is constantly in "D".....tonight it won't start at all.....Any suggestions? I obviously need to get someone to look at this but I need to get the car started first. It happened earlier in the day and after trying to start it for about 10 minutes it finally started.