X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GearBox Fault error message, started by inserting unprogramed key in ignition

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GearBox Fault error message, started by inserting unprogramed key in ignition

So I only have one key to my car, and I ordered 2 from ebay. I then had a locksmith cut the keys. Without hesitation I proceeded to manually unlock the door (successful) and inserted the key into the ignition (Big Mistake). not only did the key not start the car, I could not remove it. Went back into the Locksmith's Office explained the problem, after a few trips back and forth he was able to remove the key. he explained the key would need to be programed to drive the vehicle. I started the car with the original key and drove home. A few hours later I went to start the car and it hesitated to turn over, and when it did the gearbox fault message appeared on the dash along with the check engine light.

my battery light is on as well, I've purchased a new one, but i'm just waiting for my mechanic to install.

Why is this happening? Any insight is greatly appreciated

New Uncut Flip Transponder Chip Key Remote for Jag x Type Keyless Entry Fob | eBay

Old 08-01-2015, 02:42 AM
GGG
Received 16,767 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Welcome to the forum Jag_Rell,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X-Type forum. This is the place to post tech questions about your model.

Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Graham

Old 08-01-2015, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Welcome to the forums. I'm sure you'll find of lot of useful information here to help you with your car and a lot of helpful people.

As for your problem I am guessing it is just a coincidence and the new key is not related to your non-starting issue. More than likey you just need a new battery and all will be good. Our cars are very sensitive to an underperforming battery. If you do a search on here about that you'll see what I mean. There is also a lot of good information on here on how to program a new key. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.