X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

General questions from new owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 06:51 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default General questions from new owner

Should be a forum for x-type dummies..... anyways...

TPMS-does my x-type have it? I read manuals, saw references to it, but I'm not clear if this was standard or optional or what. The reason I'm asking is twofold.
#1 I don't see any light in the instrument cluster for low tire. Admittedly I may just be missing it.

#2 I had a tire down to 24 pounds and didn't see any warning. Yeah, I'm actually one of those people that walks around and checks with a pressure gauge. In fact there's a pressure gauge that stays with each vehicle.

RPMs at speed- at 70mph we're turning about 2500 RPM. That seems higher than I'm used to seeing, but ....first jaguar, so....
I did check that it's in 5th gear by shifting to 4 and noting the rpm rise and then shifting to D and seeing it drop again. If this seems normal then just consider this another dumb question. Mileage seems fine (20.5 overall). Tire size checks out ok. Just wondered about the rpm.

Old 11-05-2016, 10:17 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

yardbird, to the best of my knowledge, the X-Type never came with TPMS. If it did, it was in the final year or so. I would not worry about not having it. Sounds like you keep on top of the tires anyways.

As for the RPMs, that sounds about right. The X-Type was made with a lower gear in it to help with the leaping off of the line. Once you get used to it, you will not think twice about it. Might be nice to see the RPMs down a little bit to help with highway mileage, but I don't think you would see that much of a difference. I know when I had my X-Type, I didn't see much difference in mileage whether I drove 60 mph or 80 mph.

The following users liked this post:
yardbird (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 03:31 AM

Thermo-
I pressed the "Thanks" button, but honestly.... thanks. This is the wife's dream to own a jaguar. Wish it had come a little earlier in life, but... it is what it is. And when you guys take the time to answer questions like this, it makes me want to go on a road trip just to buy you a beer and shake your hand.

And that thanks goes out to all the folks here. I've been asking a lot of questions and have never failed to get experienced help and answers.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:52 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

yardbird, you may get the chance. I got up to Rochester periodically to do some work. I need to get back over to Niagara Falls. So, keep an eye out and you may see where I will be heading up again. If I do, it will be in the May 2017 time frame.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
yardbird, you may get the chance. I got up to Rochester periodically to do some work. I need to get back over to Niagara Falls. So, keep an eye out and you may see where I will be heading up again. If I do, it will be in the May 2017 time frame.
If you get as close as Rochester, I'll come meet you there for sure. And if you get to Niagara Falls, dinner's on me.

My wife said, "You should take the Jaguar to Florida this year", meaning... in mid-March when I go down for the Gator Nationals. I go with my brother and we usually take his Ram pickup (Hemi, 4WD) and this year were thinking about taking my Santa Fe instead. Now.... maybe the X. So besides just generally wanting to get as many things squared away as I can, I'm also looking at this as prep for March..... and then again in June when my nephew graduates college. So.... cold weather coming. No heat in the garage. Wanna get as much as possible done.