X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gettin a tick/nock sound after Jag is warm??!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 09:54 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Gettin a tick/nock sound after Jag is warm??!!!!!!!

Hey everybody, I just recently bought my X-type a month ago and just noticed that it has a ticking type sound at idle and kinda lower rpm and then i can not hear it. Its not like a knocking sound its more of a slapping exhaust leak sound. At idle and i give it gas it does get faster with rpm. I crawled underneath and it sonds like its coming from the bottom around the oil pan area. At the top of the engine not so much. I also did the pull the oil cap off while running and noticed NO increase of noise.

Guys i freakin love this Jaguar and i really hope its nothing catastrophic. Any info or related tales that would help me get to the bottom of this please let me know!!! Much appreciated!!!!

Old 09-13-2010, 11:23 PM

Just a touch up of the original post. I did searches of the problem on here and didnt really see any like mine. Similar but not exact. My ticking/knocking sound only happens after the car is warm. When i go outside and start her up, it purs nice. Then i take it out and drive it and when it starts to get warm i can roll the windows down at a light or just parked and its there. Very noticable. Its mimics the rpms from idel to rev. But if i hit the on ramp to the highway after about 40 mph i cannot hear it. If im in traffic from first to second low rpms i can. Just weird!!!

Old 09-13-2010, 11:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's the noise I think your talking about then I have it too lol, when I rev the engine you can hear it.. or while driving you can hear it too right? I have no idea what it can be and just ignored it but it was really bothering me last week and I looked around underneath but could not find what out what it could be. I will shoot a video tomorrow and post it up, Hopefully once I get the video up you can see if that's the same noise and from there someone could probably help us out.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

I also have this noise. Its weird, but is that your maserati granturismo blackjag?

Old 09-13-2010, 11:38 PM

Yea my car is a 2002 X-Type Sport 3.0 and really hope its nothing crazy. lol. Noticed yours is pretty much the same. Mine does it while driving to but fades away at higher rpm. I love this car man. I went from a 2007 MKZ to this and i really like the feel and handling and awsome look. I would post a video too but not real sure how. The noise is hard to discribe, like a lifter/rocker or something.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
I also have this noise. Its weird, but is that your maserati granturismo blackjag?
Haha I wish, no just so happened to park next to me.. I came out and was shocked for a second. But I liked the style so It was a great photo op

Old 09-13-2010, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by I <3 X-Type
Yea my car is a 2002 X-Type Sport 3.0 and really hope its nothing crazy. lol. Noticed yours is pretty much the same. Mine does it while driving to but fades away at higher rpm. I love this car man. I went from a 2007 MKZ to this and i really like the feel and handling and awsome look. I would post a video too but not real sure how. The noise is hard to discribe, like a lifter/rocker or something.
I doubt it' something serious because Ive had that problem since I got the car and didn't see a problem with it but you never know.. it kinda sounds like a sprinkler sort of? Mine seems to get louder with rpm I think. The MKZ is a nice car too.. I always look at them.. but yeah back on topic I agree the noise is very hard to describe that's why I'm going to have to shoot a video because typing about it is impossible.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by BlackJag914
I doubt it' something serious because Ive had that problem since I got the car and didn't see a problem with it but you never know.. it kinda sounds like a sprinkler sort of? Mine seems to get louder with rpm I think. The MKZ is a nice car too.. I always look at them.. but yeah back on topic I agree the noise is very hard to describe that's why I'm going to have to shoot a video because typing about it is impossible.

Yea i agree about talkin about it. Ill try and post a video myself too. Im takin it to the dealer in the next few days for an alignment anyways. Maybe they can shine some light on the situation. I mean if that noise wasnt there you would think nothing was wrong. It has lots of power and drives fine. Just that odd noise. If i can resolve that issue the car would be perfect and worry free. She has 109,000 miles so im hoping i get some life out of her seein how its a higher end car. But we shall see. Keep in touch with whatever you find out!!!

Old 09-14-2010, 08:46 AM

http://<object width="320" height="2...mbed></object>

Dont know if this works or not but the only way i can get a video on.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:13 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello,

Couldn't open the video but based on the description it could be a cracked exhaust manifold or defective exhaust manifold gasket since the symptoms only happen after the engine is warm. You could try tightening any manifold bolts that are accessible but before doing so spray them with PB Blaster - otherwise, they could snap. At idle, try to wrap / grab the manifold with a clean rag in different spots and see if you can change the sound any. If so, you've identified the general area. If it's cracked, it may be welded but it would have to come off the car.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 09-14-2010, 09:14 AM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Try turning off the A/C and see if that has an effect. The compressor can get noisy.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:18 PM

Well the exhaust sounds like a culprit but havnt had time to check. And yea when i start it up after it cools down she purs nice like i said before. Once its warm its a pretty noticeable "valvetrain" sound but i can not pin point it to either head. Its more like the pulley side bottom, near the back. Doesnt give me a knocking sound as much as a higher pitched but flat sound. Ill check the exhaust asap. Thanks buddy.

The a/c is hardly ever used so i doubt thats it. Ill try turning it on and off to see if it changes the sound tho. Thanks

Sorry bout the video it was from my phone and cant seem to save it anywhere to get it uploaded from here. I have a alignment scheduled tomorrow and will have them poke around.

Wish me luck!

Old 09-14-2010, 06:27 PM

Little update. i went outside and played with the exhaust and couldnt get a change in tone. I did however kind of pinpoint the sound, its coming from between the trans and engine on the bottom side. Once again i opened the oil cap while running to see if it got louder or anything cuz ive heard if its internal you should be able to hear it more at the oil cap.

I also played with the a/c compressor turning it off and on. No dice. It only got faster as the rpm went up with the a/c.

I am getting scared now that the engine may be hurt. I can not really afford thousands of dollars in repairs. I am 28 and in school for Law Enforcement and also working to pay everything as i have not been given a loan. I just got accepted into the Detroit Police Academy and just dont have the time or money to make repairs. I do work on my own cars as ive had 4 modded mustang that ive built myself, all went high 10's low 11's. Sold my latest notchback to get this car and now it seems im F'd

Old 09-14-2010, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jag

mine had a knocking noise with 20k and I thought it was the valvetrain,but after taking the pan off,it ended up being one crank journal that was scored.If your car is a five speed,than its probably the preasurre plate,.put it in neutral and it will go away.the gertrag transmission are noisy.Let me know,good luck

Old 09-14-2010, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by bbexotics
mine had a knocking noise with 20k and I thought it was the valvetrain,but after taking the pan off,it ended up being one crank journal that was scored.If your car is a five speed,than its probably the preasurre plate,.put it in neutral and it will go away.the gertrag transmission are noisy.Let me know,good luck

Well mine is an automatic. But as far as the crank journal, how much would that be to fix? Is that something i should tackle myself? Im not real used to these finicky engine setups that need 128 things removed to get to what you need. lol. Im a basic old school pushrod guy. Thanks for your response and please let me know what you had to do and price if you dont mind.
P.S. 20k and it needed it? WTF. Sorry man.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had an 03 X Type automatic that made this noise. Had the dealer check it, and, it turned out to be a loose torque convertor flex plate. Dealer fixed it and had the car back to me in under 4 hours so it apparently wasn't too difficult to fix. Apparently all they had to do was gain access to the torque convertor and tighten up the bolts.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Old 09-14-2010, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Oldengineer
I had an 03 X Type automatic that made this noise. Had the dealer check it, and, it turned out to be a loose torque convertor flex plate. Dealer fixed it and had the car back to me in under 4 hours so it apparently wasn't too difficult to fix. Apparently all they had to do was gain access to the torque convertor and tighten up the bolts.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Thanks olds, yea thats what im guessing also cuz its right where the engine meets the trans so im thinking something along those lines. I leterally had my ear on the oil pan just hot enough to stand, lol, and wasnt there really. God i hope thats it.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:02 PM

Sorry for the late update, I shot the video an hour ago. Hopefully this is the same sound.. and before anyone says anything yes I did get a little trigger happy on the rev's lmao.

Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItSKrt-SQtg

Old 09-14-2010, 10:18 PM

LMAO yea trigger happy is an understatement. But YES THAT IS MY SOUND!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF can it be!!??????? Like i said tomorrow i go to the dealer and maybe they can help but ill let you know as soon as i get home. Thanks for posting the video Blackjag!!!

Old 09-14-2010, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by I <3 X-Type
LMAO yea trigger happy is an understatement. But YES THAT IS MY SOUND!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF can it be!!??????? Like i said tomorrow i go to the dealer and maybe they can help but ill let you know as soon as i get home. Thanks for posting the video Blackjag!!!
Lmao haha gotta love it, but yeah I have no idea what it can be it's a mystery.. hopefully they find out what it is. I really appreciate the info once you do get it, I was going to bring mine in for a front end creaking noise when I come to a stop and also ask them about the mystery noise but you'll find out before I do. Also not to go off topic but I saw your into LE, I'm in the same boat here in NY.. I'm on the hiring list for two departments but the budget cuts are horrible, they are letting people off and not hiring so it's stressful.. but good luck getting on the job.

Quick Reply: Gettin a tick/nock sound after Jag is warm??!!!!!!!