X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Give me a your expert opinons on oil. Full Synthetic vs. Blends?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Give me a your expert opinons on oil. Full Synthetic vs. Blends?

Whats up all you pimp daddy!!
So i was just an auto parts store and the guy there was trying to sell me on AMSOIL full synthetic oil, now from my experience full synthetics are not needed unless they come with it from the factory. So i thought a blend would do just fine, personaly i like valvoline blend, but thats just me.

Lets talk oil! what do you guys this is best and or nessesary without breaking the bank.

... oh and the dude told me changing to full syn would save me a ton of gas.... yeah right im callin BS! i suppose it would in theory, but would not make a big difference in the real world.

HIP HIP FOR THE BASSHEADS!!!

Old 03-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Mr. Fox, I have tried full syn, blend, and dino oils in my car. As for mileage, I can't say that I saw a difference. When it comes to the operation of the motor, I didn't notice the motor running any different. I'm sure with the improvements with the full synthetic oils that the motor would last longer, but most of these motors are going to hit 300K miles as it is on straight dino oil.

If you want to get an honest answer about oils, check out http://www.bobistheoilguy. He will go into every detail about oil that you could possibly want to know. From there, you can make your own decision.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:31 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I ecco Thermo's observations as well that most modern engines properly cared for could see more miles than the owner is willing to put on a car before everything else turns to dust.. That said I do run syth in both our Jags but that is mostly because of our driving styles. Wife and I both work within 3 miles of home so we do a ton of short driving where the car doesn't warm up completely for sometimes a week. I use a brand name syth, whatever is on sale and change the fluid 2x a year regardless of mileage.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You will not "see" the benefits of synthetic until you are well into high mileage and open up the engine. Synthetic kicks butt, believe me, I have a few cars I'm keeping track of, and have seen its benefits in other cars as well. I went to adjust the valves on my Honda after 100,000 miles with Mobil-1 and they were all still within factory spec - not even on the loose side. I have not found that to be the case with Hondas that use regular oil. It currently has 238,000 miles, barely burns a drop, and still maintains great pressure with Mobil-1 5w-30. Some people say that's because it's a Honda, but I attribute a lot of it to running full synthetic.

Even my '74 Jeep Cherokee gets Mobil-1 with a ZDDP supplement.

I'm not an oil guy, so synthetic blends may well give you most of the benefits of synthetic...

Old 03-04-2011, 12:16 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

I've run Castol Syntech since getting mine in 2007. Also use a K & N filter. Change oil once a year.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool clean oil drained, with no burn

I change oil and filter every 10,000 miles - 2.5L 5-speed manual X-type. My used oil is clean and I never need to refill. Currently 106,000 miles.

My diy oil change:
Mobil1 5W-30 and Bosch filter. $40 and 50 minutes.

1. Add 8 oz Seafoam to oil, then drive 20 miles. 25 minutes. Cost $4.
2. Drain oil, change filter, add new oil. 25 minutes. Cost (on sale) $36.

3. Recycle oil at local service station. No charge.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:49 AM
ud

Originally Posted by blackcat2003
You will not "see" the benefits of synthetic until you are well into high mileage and open up the engine. Synthetic kicks butt, believe me, I have a few cars I'm keeping track of, and have seen its benefits in other cars as well. I went to adjust the valves on my Honda after 100,000 miles with Mobil-1 and they were all still within factory spec - not even on the loose side. I have not found that to be the case with Hondas that use regular oil. It currently has 238,000 miles, barely burns a drop, and still maintains great pressure with Mobil-1 5w-30. Some people say that's because it's a Honda, but I attribute a lot of it to running full synthetic.

Even my '74 Jeep Cherokee gets Mobil-1 with a ZDDP supplement.

I'm not an oil guy, so synthetic blends may well give you most of the benefits of synthetic...
Not disagreeing that syth is superior but the reality is with modern detergent oils and tight tolerances of modern engines, a properly maintained engine with regular fluid changes will usually outlast the rest of the car under normal driving. It becomes a matter of ecomomics when the rest of the car begins to show its age and starts to ask for Ben Franklin's to keep it road worthy. No point sending a good engine to the junk yard so in many cases that extra $$$ spent on syth. is money that could have been saved for your next ride.

Then again, my daily ride doesn't have a filter and requires non-detergent oil.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by benebob
Not disagreeing that syth is superior but the reality is with modern detergent oils and tight tolerances of modern engines, a properly maintained engine with regular fluid changes will usually outlast the rest of the car under normal driving. It becomes a matter of ecomomics when the rest of the car begins to show its age and starts to ask for Ben Franklin's to keep it road worthy. No point sending a good engine to the junk yard so in many cases that extra $$$ spent on syth. is money that could have been saved for your next ride.
Very well put. The ONLY justification for synthetics is when the change interval is extended to the point that the cost per mile equals or is lower than conventional oil. There is no consistent data that indicates greater longevity or durability using synthetic over conventional.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

See and thats why i love being a part of the Jag forums!

A syn blend seems like the best way to go keeping in mind the cost and the benifits. I like changing my oil every few months.

THANX FOR THE GOOD ADVICE GUYS!

Old 03-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Fox
A syn blend seems like the best way to go keeping in mind the cost and the benifits. I like changing my oil every few months.
Only if the blends are priced the same as conventional oils, otherwise you're still wasting money.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:41 PM
AML
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Cost isn't an issue for me. With the extended intervals that full synthetics offer, it comes out to around the same cost than if I went with half the interval with conventional oil.

I'm using a synthetic blend. Not sure of the brand, but it's what they use over at my local Toyota dealer.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you guys think. About castrol edge its seems to be a good one I am thinking of using that oil in the next oil change.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Banned
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Fox
See and thats why i love being a part of the Jag forums!

THANX FOR THE GOOD ADVICE GUYS!

You may like changing the oil unnecessarily, but the planet does not!

I hope you put some consideration into the environmental impact of oil changes.

cost aside, if you use synthetic oil, and change it less frequently than with conventional oil, there is a benefit to our future.

I would rather you change your diff oil, and TC oil and transmission oil. This may put some oil down the proverbial drain, but at least it will keep the car out of the scrap yard, and reduce the need to produce a new car.

The biggest impact of maintaining your car is to NOT manufacture another car until yours is truly worn out.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by sest1412
What do you guys think. About castrol edge its seems to be a good one I am thinking of using that oil in the next oil change.
That's what I'm using on my coming oil change. Edge is simply the newest version for Syntec which is what I've used since I bought the Jag in 2007.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

synthetic, synthetic, synthetic. less oil changes, less sludge, cleaner internals, better wear protection. same price as conventional considering you would be changing conventional oil every 3k mi vs 5-10k mi. i had a car that the previous owner drove 80k mi and did oil changes every 3k mi with conventional, the first thing i did to the car was vc gasket and noticed the rockers, lifters and the inside of the valve cover being very dark and and discolored. after reassembling the car and driving it another 90k mi using synthetic and changing oil every 5k mi, i did another vc gasket, all my internals looked brand new as if the motor was started for the very first time just long enough to coat everything in oil, and i have pics to prove it

The following users liked this post:
diablobuck (11-16-2014)
Old 03-16-2011, 07:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a firm believer in synthetic. Its all about the sludge and how it breaks down for me. I have a landcruiser with 200k on it and an envoy with 120k and both have run synthetic since new. I've done vc gaskets on both and my internals look like new. And they both run tight with no ticks and no anything internal ever replaced. My grandmother has the exact same Envoy with 40k and oil changes at gmc on time, and when I did her vc gasket, wow. Sludgey and dark. Ticks when you start it up till the oil warms up enough to thin out. My x-type has 30k and its only had synthetic since new as well. I use a house brand from our local Meijer big box store. It's $15 a gallon. I do my changes every 5k and its always clean and near clear when I change it out. I do add the lucas additive every other oil change and I think that has alot to do with help keeping my engines running nice and smooth.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 284 Posts

remember there are some old clunkers on the street
were the owner is on 200000 miles and all they do is top it off
like my sister..with no oil change since she bought the clunker

all i do is buy the cheapest oil on the shelf and change it regulary

oil is oil

i change mine in my x every 5000 miles
my previous kitty had 278000 miles before i sold it to my buddy
for $4000 it ran brand new

i will never use synthetics and waste my money
when i can use store brand oils and get same result

Last edited by dennis black; 03-17-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run synthetic in both my car and SUV. Switched them over to synthetic soon after buying them which was 1 to 2 years ago for both and each had around 50,000 miles. I change the oil in both every 6 months. I do not use a certain brand just what ever the place I take it to uses. Not sure if it helps or not but out of all the people I asked most said synthetic was the way to go.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:54 PM
ud

Originally Posted by circinus
I'm a firm believer in synthetic. Its all about the sludge and how it breaks down for me. I have a landcruiser with 200k on it and an envoy with 120k and both have run synthetic since new. I've done vc gaskets on both and my internals look like new. And they both run tight with no ticks and no anything internal ever replaced. My grandmother has the exact same Envoy with 40k and oil changes at gmc on time, and when I did her vc gasket, wow. Sludgey and dark. Ticks when you start it up till the oil warms up enough to thin out. My x-type has 30k and its only had synthetic since new as well. I use a house brand from our local Meijer big box store. It's $15 a gallon. I do my changes every 5k and its always clean and near clear when I change it out. I do add the lucas additive every other oil change and I think that has alot to do with help keeping my engines running nice and smooth.
My bro has a landcrusher with nearly 280k on the odo (bought it with 100 so I can't speak on what was done to it before he got it). He religiously changes his oil annually with whomever has a coupon, never put syth. in it, has never had the engine apart for any reason. Best part is he lives on the D.C. beltway and most of his driving is on the beltway. It does tick a bit in the cold but it runs so much better than it looks. He jokes that it may be time to go to 2 year oil changes so he can kill it and buy a new car. The extra money he's saved by his lack of oil changes will surely be his downpayment.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  19.3 KB

Originally Posted by Green Machine
That's what I'm using on my coming oil change. Edge is simply the newest version for Syntec which is what I've used since I bought the Jag in 2007.
Castrol SyntecIII now Castrol Edge 05w30 in my Audi A6 as recommended by Audi with oil chamges around every 10k or so with zero issues
It is about £15 per litre here though, expensive stuff

Quick Reply: Give me a your expert opinons on oil. Full Synthetic vs. Blends?