X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got wrong oil for oil change

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 11:43 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Got wrong oil for oil change

I thought the x-type called for full synthetic so I splurged and got the Castrol Edge Syntec since it was on sale. I thought I remembered reading it takes 6 quarts (but now I am reading it actually takes 6.5 quarts). I bought the 5qt. jug and and extra 1 qt. of the Edge. So a.) I am short half a quart, and b.) The x-type actually calls for semi-synthetic, and c.) My car is already dripping a little with whatever regular oil it has in it now, I read if you add synthetic to a higher mileage car, the oil will leak more because it is thinner!! So I try to do good get the best oil and I end up making 3 mistakes. I guess I have to go back and will trade it in for a semi-synth high mileage oil (Castrol GTX HM?). I guess it makes more sense to get two 5 qt. jugs for the price instead buying one jug and the extra single quarts.

PS When you are filling up the oil, what is the best way to know how much to add? If you are using the 2 jugs it could be hard to tell when you have 6.5 quarts in.

Last edited by 04xtype04; 02-28-2014 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:17 AM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

I run full synthetic. Buy another quart and you'll be fine.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:18 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Thumbs up Synthetic oil

Originally Posted by 04xtype04
I thought the x-type called for full synthetic so I splurged and got the Castrol Edge Syntec since it was on sale. I thought I remembered reading it takes 6 quarts (but now I am reading it actually takes 6.5 quarts). I bought the 5qt. jug and and extra 1 qt. of the Edge. So a.) I am short half a quart, and b.) The x-type actually calls for semi-synthetic, and c.) My car is already dripping a little with whatever regular oil it has in it now, I read if you add synthetic to a higher mileage car, the oil will leak more because it is thinner!! So I try to do good get the best oil and I end up making 3 mistakes. I guess I have to go back and will trade it in for a semi-synth high mileage oil (Castrol GTX HM?). I guess it makes more sense to get two 5 qt. jugs for the price instead buying one jug and the extra single quarts.

PS When you are filling up the oil, what is the best way to know how much to add? If you are using the 2 jugs it could be hard to tell when you have 6.5 quarts in.
I've been using Castrol Syntec in both our Jags since we bought them. Our 2003 X Type we bought in 2007 and the 1997 XK8 we bought in 2012. The X type has 84000 miles and the XK8 has 89000 miles now. We've had no problems with either one using full synthetic oil, they don't leak it or burn it. Last year we put 3000 miles on the XK8 on 2 trips 1 to Colorado Springs and 1 to Houston and we've had the X type to Texas twice, once to Tampa and once to Norfolk, VA area. They both preformed great and used no oil.
Best way to check to see if you have the correct amount of oil is by checking the dipstick. Put 6 qts in then check the dipstick, then top of from a single qt.. All the containers I've seen have a clear strip down one side with a gauge marks on the bottle that you can check to see how much you've used. After you've put in the preliminary fill start the engine let it run a few minute the shut it off and let sit for awhile to let oil drain back into the pan. Then check the dipstick and if indicated add required amount. This is the way I learned to do it as a kid and I'm 75 now. It's much better to sneak up on the right amount using the dipstick as a gauge than to over fill and then trying to get the extra amount out.

Last edited by Green Machine; 03-01-2014 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:29 AM

Do you think I could mix the castrol syntec full syn with castrol gtx high mileage? Like half and half? That way I could sort of get the benefits of both.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:36 AM
Thumbs down

Do you think I could mix the castrol syntec full syn with castrol gtx high mileage? Like half and half? That way I could sort of get the benefits of both.
I wouldn't mix the two.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:40 AM

I would love to run castrol edge syntec, but I noticed a bunch of drips under my pan the other day when I was doing the coolant. I just have a feeling it is getting at that age where it starts leaking a little. I was looking into adding a stop leak but was reading mixed results. The best sounds like at-205 or lucas, but if leaks are becoming a problem I don't think I should thin out the oil with a full synthetic if it's not required by Jaguar who recommends a part-synth.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Green Machine
I wouldn't mix the two.

Oh ok, I thought maybe you could since they were both the same brand

Old 03-01-2014, 12:52 AM

Actually Castrol's website says you can mix Edge with all oils conventional or synthetic. Maybe I will do that... Not sure. The oil change is getting pricier than I expected with 2 5gallon jugs.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:28 AM

Just buy one more qt of what you already have. There is no point in getting 5 qts when you only need half a qt.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:13 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

As always- stop guessing and just follow the specs set out by Jag in the owners manual.

Your assumptions about synthetic, semi synthetic and dino oil are incorrect.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:57 PM

Yea forget all that talk about mixing the oils. I thought it might help but I was reading it would do no difference to add some full-syn to traditional oil. It is not an additive. The advantages to full-synth sound good with the extended oil life and higher temp, but I read that Castrol GTX is actually better than a lot of full-synths out there. Good modern oil is refined better nowadays making it almost like a synthetic. Anyways, I bought two big boy bottles of Castrol GTX High Mileage after thinking about it alot. For the price and my needs with the car, I think GTX High Mileage is the best choice for me right now. It is still a high quality oil and part-synth, but it has the high mileage additives I need right now as my car is just over 81,000. I think this is right around the time that it would be good to switch over to a good high mileage oil. I was really tempted to try the Edge Syntec, but I think with my car, I am already noticing a few oil drips. I know putting in a thin synthetic oil will cause it to leak more. Even though it's a "better" oil, I think my car is starting to need the conditioners for the high mileage engines. Anyways, the price is also pretty reasonable too so I am happy. I feel like I am putting in really good quality oil. Can't wait to change the oil and try it out. It's a little rainy today. I know my car will really improve with a good quality fresh oil change. It's running good but it just has that sluggish feel to it. I'm pretty sure it has some kind of cheap oil in it now, if the oil filter is any indication. It was freshly changed when I bought though so I've been driving with it for a few months.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:21 PM

I don't think I've ever thought that much about oil. I just buy a mobile or Castrol synthetic and a k&n oil filter, I like that they have a nut on the end, and be done with it when I dont want to spend a lot on oil for a car. When I'm not being cheap I get royal purple. Btw I have 180k miles, I dont bother with those "high mileage" oils. I think its more of a marketing scheme than truth, but haven't looked into it.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:28 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I give up.

The following users liked this post:
timetraveler1 (03-01-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 02:59 PM
Smile

I would love to run castrol edge syntec, but I noticed a bunch of drips under my pan the other day when I was doing the coolant. I just have a feeling it is getting at that age where it starts leaking a little. I was looking into adding a stop leak but was reading mixed results. The best sounds like at-205 or lucas, but if leaks are becoming a problem I don't think I should thin out the oil with a full synthetic if it's not required by Jaguar who recommends a part-synth.
I've had that oil seepage around the pan since we bought the car 7 years ago. It's not enough for me to worry about. I just put some kitty litter under the pan where I park here at home and forget about it. Some times it doesn't drop any like the last several months. Other times it will leave several little spots. It never loses enough to show on the dipstick. You can see when underneath doing my annual oil and filter change where oil has blown back over the frame but I see that as just a nice way to keep the rust away on that side;o} Since it's such a pain in the rear to the pan gasket replacement thing it's going to have to develop a very serious leak before I do that job.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

I seriously doubt a few oil drips has anything to do with the oil you put in. More than likely the leak is coming from the oil pan gasket. That is a problem with our cars and not a question of IF it will happen, but WHEN. See if that is where the drips are coming from. No need to keep overthinking it and becoming so paranoid. If you are you are using the correct viscosity and a name brand you are good to go. They all meet the SAE standards. Boom done! Then just change it at the recommended intervals and you'll be fine. No need to spend all that money. 81K isn't anywhere close to being high mileage. I have been on this site over 5 years and haven't seen one post where someone could say they have an engine issue because of oil.

Like someone else said, just get a quart of the same oil you just put in and top it off if necessary and be done with it. And whatever you do, do not overfill it. As much as you seem to make this rocket science, it isn't. Keep it simple and you will be fine. I kind of get the impression you read a lot of things on the internet. Nothing wrong with that. But knowing what is good advice and what is smoke and mirrors is the key. For what it is worth, if I were you when it comes to your car listen to advice given on this site and anything else take with a grain of salt. You will NOT get better, more accurate information on how to care for your car than right here.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:27 PM
Smile

I've had that oil seepage around the pan since we bought the car 7 years ago. It's not enough for me to worry about. I just put some kitty litter under the pan where I park here at home and forget about it. Some times it doesn't drop any like the last several months. Other times it will leave several little spots. It never loses enough to show on the dipstick. You can see when underneath doing my annual oil and filter change where oil has blown back over the frame but I see that as just a nice way to keep the rust away on that side;o} Since it's such a pain in the rear to the pan gasket replacement thing it's going to have to develop a very serious leak before I do that job.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:39 PM

Traded in the Castrol Edge full synth for the Castrol GTX High Mileage part-synth. It's about $3 cheaper a quart and I think with my mileage a full synth is not going to make that much of a difference and probably cause more problems than anything with the leakage. I went with the high mileage oil because it is designed to help with the leaks instead of make them worse and I also read Castrol mineral oils are refined just as much as many full synths out there. Plus the manual calls for a part-synth anyway so I figure no need spending double every oil change if it's not needed. That would just make me not want to do oil changes. Where as the Castrol GTX is affordable enough it won't break the bank when I want to do an oil change and I get all the advantages of a synth and the high mileage additives. I would like to try the Edge just to see how it performs. Just from all the reviews I read though since our cars don't NEED a top of the line synthetic, they would actually do better with a good high mileage part synthetic. I think either's fine but the difference between a $50 oil change and a $30 oil change would make a difference in my willingness to do one regularly. I don't drive that much anyway though so I probably only need one a year anyway if I stretched it.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:24 PM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Case closed. Pun intended.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:36 PM

Your joke, I don't get. Maybe lose funny in translation.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:18 PM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Weak, I know. But by my estimate you've spent enough on oil and additives (Re: your other threads on the subject) to buy a "case" of oil. And, you've reached a solution to your problem. Case closed.

Just a poor little attempt at humor. Sorry if I offended, Brother.

Quick Reply: Got wrong oil for oil change