Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

head lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 07:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy head lights not working

hi guys,
i have a x-type 2.0 sport, and both my head lights stopped working.
i have checked the fuses on the bonnet(left and right) and they are fine,plus the chances of both blowing at the same time is very remote.
checked the bulbs,just in case and they are fine.
the fuse box in the interior don`t show which fuse i should check on the manual i am sure there will be a fuse that connect both head light just don`t know which one.
help anyone.
cheers

Old 02-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

gavapein, what year car are we talking about here? The fuse boxes changed in mid 2004. I just want to make sure I get you good information. We can get you fixed up in a heartbeat.

My initial guess is that you have broken the relay for the dip (low) beams. If both your main (high) and dip (low) beams went out at the same time, then we are looking at another issue. Give a little more information and I am sure we can get you taken care of using some simple checks.

On a side note, do you know how to use a multimeter. that would help narrow down the problem if you can use a tool like that.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:36 AM
Default head lights not working

it is a 2005 model mate.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:43 AM

I have this issue where if I turn the low beams off, and turn them back on- they don't. I have to turn the engine off, wait for a few minutes and then fire her up before they come back on. I have an aftermarket HID kit installed.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:55 AM

correction from my initial post,it is only the low beams that are not working.the high beam are fine,so it might be a broken relay for the dip beam.still need help with this issue.cheers

Old 02-04-2012, 05:19 PM
Veteran member

gavapein, what I want you to do is to get yourself a small piece of wire (or even an all metal paper clip will work) and open up the hood of your car. Now, open up the fuse box and locate relay R11. Remove the relay and if you look on the relay, you will see how the terminals are marked "1", "2", etc. I want you to locate the "3" and "5" terminals. Now, relate those to the spots that they would plug into in the fuse box. Now, using the paper clip/wire, short together those two spots. Do the low beams come on now? If yes, odds are you have a bad relay. If no, then you have a wiring issue, we need to do some more troubleshooting. If replacing the bad relay does not fix your issue, then that gets us back to a wiring issue and I will help you with that if you know how to use a multimeter. Even if you don't, as long as you follow my instructions to the letter, you will be fine. The big thing is getting your hands on a multimeter.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:50 AM

cheers for the help thermo.i`ve tried the paper clip thing and the dip lights still wont come on.i`m accepting any suggestions you have m8,no i don`t know how to work a multimeter but i am a fast learner,hope i hear from you soon.i try to buy or borrow one today.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Veteran member

gavapein, using a multimeter is really pretty easy. The big thing is making sure that you have the test leads plugged into the correct holes and the dial set to the correct position.

In your case, you are going to do everything with the VDC setting. This will mean you also need to have the black lead plugged into the "COM" port and the red lead plugged into the "VDC" port (may have a few other symbols next to it, specifically one that is the greek symbol omega). Now that the multimeter is set up, we are ready for tests.

First check is to verify that we have battery voltage up to the DIP beams. Remove relay R11 and then touch the black lead to the block of the motor and the red lead to Pin #3 inside where the relay used to be. Do you get 12.6 VDC? If no, then you have a problem with the fuse box. If yes, first check that fuses F29 and F30 are both good. Then, replace both DIP beam headlight bulbs. If you still have a problem, then that only leaves the wiring being a problem and based on your experience, it would be time to find a good electrical shop and have them help you out with this.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:25 PM

Thanks for ur help m8 i have sorted 1 problem just 2 find another wich i think is simpler to solve.anyone knows where to find a bulb retainer spring clip for dip light or any alternatives?cheers