X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight problem

I have an 02 X-type with factory HID that has problems. My left side high beam does not work, no biggy so I replace the bulb still doesn't work. I also noticed when I turn my high beams on my left side rear turn signal is illuminated, not blinking just light up. If I use the left turn signal, everything still works, there are a few other little lighting problems that I can't remember at the moment. I wanted to know if anybody has any advice on this issue. I also want to know if I can hook-up a halogen headlight assembly (just for testing the high beam issue) without causing issues? Thanks in advance.

Side Note:
What is the better to use for reassembling headlight assemblies, butyl sealant or black RTV sealer?

Old 09-10-2010, 06:36 PM

Have ya checked all ur fuses?,as far as the head light goes.For the turn signal,are ya sure its the right bulb..they sell doppleganger bulbs at alot os auot stores,,they look the same,they will say its the same but there not...at a dealer..i got a small handfull for free..think there worth 4-6 bucks there....check ur fuses and look around here for info on which fuse is which,as the manual does not look at all like most of our boxes..I just went thru mine if ya need a hand lemmie know..

Old 09-10-2010, 07:46 PM

All of my fuses are good. Here is a real kicker, I took out the hid headlight and connected up a halogen headlight assembly, everything works like it is supposed to, so know that I have the HID headlight assembly in my hand I will take it apart and to some continuity testing on it.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:22 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

Four Stroke, let me get this right, you removed the HID bulb, installed a standard halogen bulb in its place and it works? Am I reading that correctly. If that is the case, it sounds like you recently replaced the headlight assembly on that side and didn't get the correct headlight assembly. If you stick an HID bulb into a non-HID headlight housing, yes, the HID bulb will not work (it requires an initial 23,000 volt spark to get the HID gases working correctly, then it runs at 85 VDC). Kinda like if you stick a halogen bulb into the HID headlight housing, if the bulb even lights, it is going to burn out very quickly due to the excessive voltage. If you do have an HID housing and the halogen bulb is functioning, then that is telling me that there is a wiring issue with the plug going into the headlight assembly, which would also more than likely explain your other front end bulb issues.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:50 PM

Sorry Thermo, I should be a little more clear. I have two housings, one is the factory HID housing (which the high beam does not work on) and the second housing is a standard halogen housing. I removed the factory housing (HID) and replaced it with the halogen housing (for testing the vehicles wiring to the headlights and everything worked correctly with the halogen housing connected). I just took apart the HID housing and will be testing all of the connections and inspecting them either tonight or tomorrow, but my gut tells me the ballast my be the problem but I am not sure why the ballast would have anything to do with the high beams??? I hope this is a little more clear. FYI I am terrible at explaining things!

Old 09-11-2010, 08:01 AM

If ya have a voltage meter..pull the plug at the back and check that it all has power...now ya have to check it against the plug off the other side ,so ya make sure it matches..

Old 09-11-2010, 08:13 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

Four Stroke, ok, gotcha. Based on what you are describing, I would venture to guess that you have a wiring problem inside of your HID housing since all your lighting problems go away with the new non-HID housing. I would venture to guess that your issue is caused by a bad ground wire that has come in contact with a power wire (more than likely for your low beam).

I will caution you when testing the HID housing, DO NOT!!!!!!! attempt to measure the output of the ballast. You can subject yourself to 23000 volts and if you have a standard multimeter attached to it, you will damage the meter. Most meters are at most rated up to 1000 volts. So, use a known good HID bulb as your "tester" for the output and verify that you have 12 VDC on the input to the ballast. That will tell you if the ballast is good or not.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:03 PM

Well my electrical problem is solved, after taking the headlight assembly off and fixing the aiming tabs. I reinstalled it and everything worked!