Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Projector Lens Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 09:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Projector Lens Problem

Hi,

I'm a first time poster here, & the forum looks pretty helpful, so I'm hoping someone has some advice for me. Basically I changed my headlight bulb the other day (2001 X-Type), and whilst reconnecting I felt the lens move... nothing seems to have snapped, and I saw on another website that it can just come off its mount inside (design fault).

I really don't want to take the bumber off to look at it, and my hands are not small enough to be much good either. However, if I knew what the mechanism looked like, it would help a lot.

Does anyone have any pictures of the inside of the headlight, or any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Ryan.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:14 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Ryan, is the headlight pointing towards the ground now or is it simply moving inside? There is a little bit of play inside and as long as the aiming of the headlights is fine, then nothing was hurt. Now, if the aim of that headlight is now off by a lot, then you are suffering from a common problem with the X-Types in that the mounts for the lens are under engineered and after time, become brittle. Then, when you do something with the headlights (ie, change bulbs), the headlights are really easy to break, leading to the headlight being aimed at the ground.

As for a fix, I am working on something at the moment to see what I can come up with. What most have done (other than buying a new headlight), is to remove the headlight assembly from the car and if you remove the two large covers to access the bulbs, you can see the mounts for the lenses. If you look, you will see where they are cracked/broken. You can use something like epoxy/JB Weld and glue things back together. Then I would also recommend using some long tie straps to provide some extra support. That should give you a fix for awhile. BUt, like I said, the plastic is brittle and something as silly as a good pothole in the future can cause them to break again.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:04 AM

Thanks for your reply... yes, it is pointing down. It seems like it's become detatched from the machanism that allows you to adjust the headlights (the switch on the dash). Funny thing was, there were no snaps or anything... it just sort of moved. So it looks like a couple of hours taking the bumper off... I just worry about breaking more!!! All this to change a bulb... wow!!!

I'll let you know how I get on!... wish me luck.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:08 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Ry, removing the bumper is actually pretty easy. Just make sure you have a T-27 Torx bit handy. Also, there are 2 hidden bolts (one on each side) between the side marker light on the bumper and the wheel. Get the bumper most of the way loose and then reach up and you will feel the bolt. You will feel 2 of them up there on each side. You actually want the one nearest the wheel. It uses a 10 mm socket. I would also recommend using a short handle ratchet as there isn't a lot of room up there.

If you need any help, let me know.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:42 PM

Hi Chris, I'm afraid I didn't have much luck. Unfortunately most of the torx screws were rusted in place... they turned but wouldn't unscrew. It turns out that the metal bracket that they're attached to just snaps when I turn the screw, meaning they're now stuck where they are. So I've resorted to a quick fix for now... a length of copper wire holding the headlight lense in place. I just hope it passes the MOT inspection!!

Thanks anyway for your help. Maybe I'll have another go when the weather warms up a bit.

Ryan.