X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headliner

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Headliner

The headliner in the back seat area is starting to come down, glue failure I guess. It also came off the sunroof, but I got some headliner glue, it is a spray glue, and remounted it and it is fine.

Anyway I took the car to a interior shop, I have used for years but has a new owner, the original owner retired. The new owner told me the headliner would have to be replaced. Over the years I have had cars with drooping headliners and was always able to get them re glued. The owner of the shop said the rubber backing is probably gone and the cloth won't stick without the backing. The other situation is they down have an exact match for the stock liner. The best they could come up with is a shade of two off, which is OK with me. But there is so little hanging down and when I press it back it stays for a day or two and droops again. The cost for a new liner is $250 installed, not bad. What do you guys think? I have re glued headliners before, but with my terrible back I would have to have my son help, and he is not into doing stuff like this.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

For the price that it costs, I would say go ahead and try to fix it first. If you fudge up and the headliner falls down more, then you are no worse off than you were originally. Personally, I would just take some really heavy duty glue to the edges of the headliner to make it stay and then use the spray stuff for the general area. I put a headliner back up in a saturn with gorilla glue and I really didn't plan on doing the job very well. The end result was something that you wouldn't notice unless you knew it was there. Keep in mind that I took many short cuts with my gorilla glue :P. So just get out there and try it cause you really have nothing to lose!

The following users liked this post:
Adam Lueb (01-08-2012)
Old 01-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Adam, this is what I did. Have your son use some masking tape and newspaper and tape the newspaper to the glass. Cover all the glass with either tape or newspaper. At this point, you can sit down in the car, put your hands over your head and with the headliner pulled back some, spray some 3M adhesive in between the fabric and the headliner backing. From there, press the fabric in place and see what you have at that point. You don't like it, not any worse for the wear. Worst case, I am sure you can get your son to lean over the back seats and spray in some glue that way. If you are worried about him getting glue on the seats, cover the top of the seats with some newspaper and hold it in place with some masking tape. Cheap and easy to do.

The following users liked this post:
Adam Lueb (01-08-2012)
Old 01-08-2012, 09:49 AM
Smile Headliner

Originally Posted by Thermo
Adam, this is what I did. Have your son use some masking tape and newspaper and tape the newspaper to the glass. Cover all the glass with either tape or newspaper. At this point, you can sit down in the car, put your hands over your head and with the headliner pulled back some, spray some 3M adhesive in between the fabric and the headliner backing. From there, press the fabric in place and see what you have at that point. You don't like it, not any worse for the wear. Worst case, I am sure you can get your son to lean over the back seats and spray in some glue that way. If you are worried about him getting glue on the seats, cover the top of the seats with some newspaper and hold it in place with some masking tape. Cheap and easy to do.
Thanks for the instructions, the headliner is coming down over the back seat, if I press it to the roof it will stay intake for a day or so, so that leads me to think the glue has some sticky left. I bought a can of spray headliner glue from the shop I visited. When the spring comes I going to follow your instructions and try and fix it, of course I will have to have my son do it as my back can't tolerate such positions. Thank you so much. Oh I don't know if I mentioned it and why I think the present liner can be re glued. I went to the shop because the head was half off the sunroof. That's when they told me I needed a new one. I asked them if they could at least glue the sunroof up as it was laying on my head, they re glued it and it has been fine ever since. So this makes me think the liner can be reglued. There is another interior shop about 20 miles from here in Palmer, Ma whom I did business with a years ago. I am going to take a ride out there and see what he has to say.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Smile Headliner

Originally Posted by disguay
For the price that it costs, I would say go ahead and try to fix it first. If you fudge up and the headliner falls down more, then you are no worse off than you were originally. Personally, I would just take some really heavy duty glue to the edges of the headliner to make it stay and then use the spray stuff for the general area. I put a headliner back up in a saturn with gorilla glue and I really didn't plan on doing the job very well. The end result was something that you wouldn't notice unless you knew it was there. Keep in mind that I took many short cuts with my gorilla glue :P. So just get out there and try it cause you really have nothing to lose!
As I mentioned in a previous post I bought some headliner spray glue at the interior shop. When Spring comes my son and I are going to try and fix it. As you and Thermo said I have nothing to loose, and if it works the better.