X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headliner replacement, notes and observations.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 09:14 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Headliner replacement, notes and observations.

I just replaced the headliner on my 04 X-type, 3.0. I wish to share some observations from having just done the job myself. There are numerous published "how to's" about doing this, so I won't go into that detail. There are, however, some things that aren't in the tutorials that may be of value. I didn't take any "before" photos because we all know what a nasty headliner looks like and I simply forgot to take some while doing the job (I was "in the zone") So, in no particular order:

1. 3 yards of material. 2 yards will do the roof, but another yard is needed for the sun roof slider (if equipped) and the A and C pillars.

2. If using spray contact cement, then 1 16oz can per yard is needed. Don't be stingy with the glue. Use the professional grade contact cement designed for upholstery. It comes out of the can like spiderwebs. The cheaper general purpose cement comes out in a even fan spray- don't use that stuff but pay the extra for the correct glue.

3. Take out the front seats, both of them. They are only held in by a few 10mm screws. It only takes a few minutes to unbolt the and remove them from the vehicle. This will give you all the room you need to remove the liner board.

4. Loosely install the C pillars first, then insert the liner board into the car. The C pillars will support the rear of the headliner while you bolt up the front end.

5. Clean the liner board thoroughly. All of it. Every bit. I used a Scotch pad and a stiff bristle broom. Be sure to remove any old glue repairs or whatever. The board needs to be clean.

6. Color samples. Yes, I know they charge for them, but I'm glad I spent the money. I have a grey interior and it's hard to figure the exact shade from a computer monitor. It turns out the headliner isn't exactly grey, but a sliver/blue shade called "Opal". Turned out Opal was an exact match, or at least exact enough considering fading and dye lot variations.

The entire job doing it myself from start to finish, with a lunch break, took about 4.5 hours. I would imagine having help would speed things along a little bit, especially when it came time to glue the liner material onto the board. In any event, the car looks so much better now.

The total cost for the job with all materials was just under $100. Cheap enough price to not have to drive around with a droopy headliner.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (05-27-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 12:22 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozzlefinch
I just replaced the headliner on my 04 X-type, 3.0. I wish to share some observations from having just done the job myself. There are numerous published "how to's" about doing this, so I won't go into that detail. There are, however, some things that aren't in the tutorials that may be of value. I didn't take any "before" photos because we all know what a nasty headliner looks like and I simply forgot to take some while doing the job (I was "in the zone") So, in no particular order:

1. 3 yards of material. 2 yards will do the roof, but another yard is needed for the sun roof slider (if equipped) and the A and C pillars.

2. If using spray contact cement, then 1 16oz can per yard is needed. Don't be stingy with the glue. Use the professional grade contact cement designed for upholstery. It comes out of the can like spiderwebs. The cheaper general purpose cement comes out in a even fan spray- don't use that stuff but pay the extra for the correct glue.

3. Take out the front seats, both of them. They are only held in by a few 10mm screws. It only takes a few minutes to unbolt the and remove them from the vehicle. This will give you all the room you need to remove the liner board.

4. Loosely install the C pillars first, then insert the liner board into the car. The C pillars will support the rear of the headliner while you bolt up the front end.

5. Clean the liner board thoroughly. All of it. Every bit. I used a Scotch pad and a stiff bristle broom. Be sure to remove any old glue repairs or whatever. The board needs to be clean.

6. Color samples. Yes, I know they charge for them, but I'm glad I spent the money. I have a grey interior and it's hard to figure the exact shade from a computer monitor. It turns out the headliner isn't exactly grey, but a sliver/blue shade called "Opal". Turned out Opal was an exact match, or at least exact enough considering fading and dye lot variations.

The entire job doing it myself from start to finish, with a lunch break, took about 4.5 hours. I would imagine having help would speed things along a little bit, especially when it came time to glue the liner material onto the board. In any event, the car looks so much better now.

The total cost for the job with all materials was just under $100. Cheap enough price to not have to drive around with a droopy headliner.
Nice write up. I'll remember it if I ever get a droop in the headliner. You mention there are tutorials on this. Is it a typical problem? I've owned mine since new in 2005 and have no indication of any droop.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:13 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Oz: Thanks for the write-up. This repair is next on my "to do" list. From whom did you purchase the 3 yards of headliner material? What brand professional grade contact cement did you use?

Thanks.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:43 AM

Yes, droopy liners are quite common. How long they last depends on the region you live in. What happens is the foam backing will deteriorate and then the cloth will fall. In my area no headliner will last more than 10 years at best because of heat and humidity. Cooler climates the liner could last forever.

I got my supplies from Automotive Interiors & Accessories, Inc. @ Automotive Headliner Material, Boarsd, and Bow Supported This was the first time I've ever used them and they treated me very well. Fast shipping and they also have the lowest prices around. It's always a kind of crap shoot when doing business over the net, but AI isn't just some Chinese start up company, they actually have a brick and mortar shop and have been around for some time. I got a fair deal from them and I am happy with it.

I used the Dap Weldwood High Temp spray adhesive product #00121 in the blue can. It's the brand that most upholstery shops recommend and sell. I didn't buy quite enough when I ordered the headliner so I had to run out and get some locally. I got mine from Jo-Ann Fabrics, but any big box hardware store will have it in stock.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

Last time I did a headliner, I paid a glass guy $30 to take out my windshield, after I had already removed the B pillar supports and trim. I ran a DA sander over the whole roof board, and swept everything off, so there wouldn't be any bumps under the fabric, and used 3M adhiesive, on the pressboard, and the back of the headliner. I placed the material on the pressboard, with a wallpaper sqeegey, and flipped the whole thing. I then cut the excess material about 4 inches from the pressboard, and glued the extra material, like the other side. I put my roof in, and paid another $30 for the guy to reinstall my windshield. I installed the trim pieces while I waited for the glass guy to come. I didn't even think of doing it like you, because this is how they do it at the factory, and I am notoriously lazy. You are a braver man than me......Good job....Mike

Old 05-28-2015, 05:34 AM

Who's brave, Mrplow? I never would have thought to take out the windshield to do a headliner. I would worry that too much could go wrong with doing it that way. Breaking the glass, scratching the paint, or having a leak after.

But it is something to consider if, for whatever reason, the windshield needs to come out and the headliner is marginal. It would be a good time to do both while it's apart.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:32 AM
Veteran Member

Like I said.....I am notoriously lazy, and a good glass guy doesn't break windshields, but I can see your point. If you have a cracked windshield, and the top is starting to hang, it would be a good time to do this.....Be cool....Mike

Old 05-29-2015, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for this. I might have to do my headliner eventually. The back is coming off a bit, and it's getting air in there. Good steady wear. I'll probably go with a black color to match the interior. Or I may do a plaid headliner just because I think it looks cool, haha.

Real good information.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Xtyper
Thanks for this. I might have to do my headliner eventually. The back is coming off a bit, and it's getting air in there. Good steady wear. I'll probably go with a black color to match the interior. Or I may do a plaid headliner just because I think it looks cool, haha.

Real good information.
You are a wild man Xtyper. You are going to have to post a pic of the plaid headliner, when you do it.......I can dig it......Mike

Old 05-31-2015, 07:19 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Very good/useful thread going on here. After my 07 "Jag-wag" comes home from getting it's transfer case replaced (oh, the pain of it all) my headliner is next. I am in Tampa (#GoBolts) and my headliner started dropping about 2 years ago. Not sure whether I will prioritize this project over the isolation and correction of no sound from my "premium" Alpine unit. Thanks for all the good tips here.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Pacobell
Very good/useful thread going on here. After my 07 "Jag-wag" comes home from getting it's transfer case replaced (oh, the pain of it all) my headliner is next. I am in Tampa (#GoBolts) and my headliner started dropping about 2 years ago. Not sure whether I will prioritize this project over the isolation and correction of no sound from my "premium" Alpine unit. Thanks for all the good tips here.

Yeah, the "priority" list. Everybody's got one in some form or another. My headliner wasn't high on my priorities, but I simply couldn't stand it anymore. Truly, I shouldn't have put it off for as long as I did. Sometimes the priorities are doing what is easy first- and the headliner is an easy project. If you work slowly, take your time, goof off a little bit and drag your feet through it, then replacing the headliner at it's worst is a weekend project.

And as for a plaid headliner, I know some of the beemer boys in this area do exactly that. For whatever reason I don't know. Some of them go to the fabric sore and get headliner material like Batman, camouflage, or florals or some such. Ok, whatever, it's their cars and they can do what they want...that's all I'm sayin'.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:14 PM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

It is next on my to do list as well. Only thing is I am going to do it in suede. I did a test run on my 2002 vw beetle and it was tough. Suede does not stretch as other fabric does. I got mine online as well. I think I spent about 80 bucks with 2 cans of glue. I have a few wrinkles but all in all a nice look. Will post pictures when I do the Jags!.

The Dr!

Old 06-02-2015, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrplow58
You are a wild man Xtyper. You are going to have to post a pic of the plaid headliner, when you do it.......I can dig it......Mike
No problem. I've always wanted to do a black/red headliner (the Golf has spoiled me with this interior). Because of the leather, I'd probably do primary black/secondary red. Either that, or just go all black (my headliner is a tan-ish color, while the rest of the inside is black). Either one would match. My Mazda 6 was basically the opposite, haha. It still looks great, but I'd just love a little change. And I can see that this'll be something I repair soon. The air pockets are growing. First I've got some other small (and some big) stuff on my little list I want to get out of the way- mostly mechanical. Probably gonna take some time soon to check all my speakers, tweeters, etc. I can't tell if they're good because I have to listen to the radio lately instead of my phone (the cigarette lighter port isn't working- gotta fix that too). Radio is always a little... raspy. Especially with no exterior antenna (which I love). This is one of those things I just wait until it's a must.

Last edited by Xtyper; 06-02-2015 at 12:15 PM.