X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help!

hey guys, I went to tires shop today to see if there any problems with my car vibrating and other handling problem. they took test drive and lift the car up, there was 3 wheels that are bent.. so i took it to the wheel shop and striaghten out much as posible and put 2 new tires.. Vibration is almost gone, but its still very rough when i go uneven road, or even just lil bump on rear end... Im not sure if rims are still not straighten out or something wrong with shock/struts.. this is really gettin annoying cuz i just got this car and they will pay for the tires and for straightening wheels but ride is very rough then when i first test drive the car.. I dont know if i need new sets of wheels or Struts/shocks,,, or i might have sell the car back =( any ideas?

Old 12-21-2009, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  19.3 KB

hey there....straightening out wheels doesn't sound good to me. All I know if it was mine and bought very recently if I could be sure that was the problem I'd be demanding a new set of rims for her....
Vibration could also be caused by poor balancing of the wheels and that would need to be checked - a fairly simple procedure available at any decent tyre store.
Handling probs could be your shcoks - or it could be a combo of all of the above.
Get it checked / sorted straight away before too much time passes....

Please keep us informed

Old 12-21-2009, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by JimC64

hey there....straightening out wheels doesn't sound good to me. All I know if it was mine and bought very recently if I could be sure that was the problem I'd be demanding a new set of rims for her....
Vibration could also be caused by poor balancing of the wheels and that would need to be checked - a fairly simple procedure available at any decent tyre store.
Handling probs could be your shcoks - or it could be a combo of all of the above.
Get it checked / sorted straight away before too much time passes....

Please keep us informed

thanks.. after i got new tires vibration is almost gone... but when i hit uneven road or even lil bump rear end make noise ( kinda like if you drop 50lbs dumbbell top of the trunk) i dont know how to explain but thats how it feels.. I think its still something to do with wheels and posibly worn shock/struts.. what are the signs of bad struts/shock or sway bar or other suspsension parts?? its sux i already got 16 inch tires.. i dont even know if i should spend money on the car i just bought.. i might have to just sell it depend on how much i need to spend to drive normal =(

Old 12-21-2009, 07:22 PM

Exactly how long ago/how many miles ago did you purchase the car. Did you purchase from a dealer or private sale. I do not know where you live but, there may be a mandated warranty that covers safety/inspection issues. If we are talking short time (under 30 days) or few miles this may provide recourse. If the dealer put a sticker on the car with bad shocks--you may also have recourse. Presumably you purchased the car at a retail price. If you sell it or trade it you will get wholesale at best. If you sell it privately can you ethically sell the car knowing that it has problems--this may provide recourse for the new buyer. Further you will very likely lose more money "disposing" the problem than it will cost you to do the required repairs.
I do not know how many miles are on the car but, it may have been ridden hard and put away wet. I do not think that anyone escapes life without at least one car deal that ultimately leaves a bad taste in your mouth. This is a great learning opportunity. There is great support on this forum and the "community" can help you walk through this to the best outcome as opposed to reacting through it.
(I was a masters level social worker in a past life.

good luck

Old 12-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 22

from what you describe it sounds like shocks / suspension issues to me, but maybe someone with more tech ability will drop by and confirm for you bud

Old 12-21-2009, 07:30 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,924 Likes on 3,223 Posts

Lymeboy, he lives near me. After hearing that 3 rims are bent, someone had fun with the car. Odds are, it was the dealership that you bought the car at that had the fun.

HK, bring the car on over to my place and I will do a once over of the car. We will get you straightened out and we'll go from there. Atleast with me, all that it will cost you is a little bit in gas and some of your time. Seems like you are spending a lot of time with the car as it is.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 22

Thermo.....you have such a big heart man

Old 12-21-2009, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by lymeboy
Exactly how long ago/how many miles ago did you purchase the car. Did you purchase from a dealer or private sale. I do not know where you live but, there may be a mandated warranty that covers safety/inspection issues. If we are talking short time (under 30 days) or few miles this may provide recourse. If the dealer put a sticker on the car with bad shocks--you may also have recourse. Presumably you purchased the car at a retail price. If you sell it or trade it you will get wholesale at best. If you sell it privately can you ethically sell the car knowing that it has problems--this may provide recourse for the new buyer. Further you will very likely lose more money "disposing" the problem than it will cost you to do the required repairs.
I do not know how many miles are on the car but, it may have been ridden hard and put away wet. I do not think that anyone escapes life without at least one car deal that ultimately leaves a bad taste in your mouth. This is a great learning opportunity. There is great support on this forum and the "community" can help you walk through this to the best outcome as opposed to reacting through it.
(I was a masters level social worker in a past life.

good luck

i bought it from very small dealer last friday.. 12/18/09. i put on about 140miles top... I first thought it was private seller but when i was about to pay after inspection and diognostic test then i went to buy the car it was just small truck and equipment,LLC.. they pay for tires and straighten out wheels but im pretty sure there are problems with other suspension since its still the same as before they straighten out the wheels...

Old 12-21-2009, 07:44 PM

I know car didnt have warny but even if it was " AS IS" would I be able to return?? i only had it for 3 days..

Old 12-22-2009, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Doubtful, "as-is" means just that.

You might have a problem as simple as a loose rear swaybar or worn bushings. You might also have a car that has been hit by a mack truck and rebuilt by idiots.

If you are near Thermo, by gawd man take him up on his offer to look at it for you. His advice after looking at it in person would really help you out, he knows his stuff. If not, and you are not mechanically inclined, take it to a repair shop with a good reputation and ask them to look it over.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:17 AM

Even though it is sol "AS IS" many states have some consumer protection laws that may be helpful. Please keep us posted regarding Thermo's inspection and the outcome with the car in general.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by lymeboy
Even though it is sol "AS IS" many states have some consumer protection laws that may be helpful. Please keep us posted regarding Thermo's inspection and the outcome with the car in general.

good thing is that they say they would work with me.. i pay most with cash with 1000$ check. and we fixed wheels and tires for 500$ and they will get rid of the check and i owe them 500$ but i went to check on suspension, i needed replace shock and sway bar links.. so i went and ordered 2 shocks 2 sway bar links and 2 mount bushing for 350$ and will cost 200$ for install.. so they will pay all this by not cashing out and avoid 1000$ check from me.. so they are pretty honest ppl i would say.. hopefully after i replace shocks and sway bar its good to go..

Old 12-22-2009, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

HK, sorry to hera about the recent troubles you are having with your new baby. It sounds like teh plae you bought is trying to do the right thing and from your description of the problem it certainly sounds like that might be the underlying problem. However, might still want to take it by Thermo and have him look it over to make sure it's sound. Anyplace that would sell you a car in that condition without first addressing those types of basic issues could also have not disclosed other things.

Just curious, could you tell us the year, engine size, mileage, options and, if comfortable, what you paid for the car?