X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 04:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help

Please help - Very new to this forum. I have a 2001 Jauguar X Type 2.5 V6 with 60,000 miles on it. The Engine light came on so went to local garage whom I have been dealing with for 20 years.
The computer said fault code P1646/7 = O2 Sensor upstream Bank 1 which we replaced at around £68.00 etc. After 20 mins the light came back on. Local garage said to take to Jag dealer as they didnt want to start guessing. However I dont trust the local Jag dealer after hearing a friends recent horror story £5k worth of guess work!. Local garage did a vacuum check, eyeballed exhaust, checked hoses and all seemed to check out ok. Today I took it to another local garage where a friend worked who cleared the fault but after another 20 mins and upon first start it came back on.
For a few months prior I did have a noise which came and went coming from under the car when it was cold which wasnt drive train and sounded like a rev related rattle which has gone now ie since the light started coming on. Your thoughts on one of the Cats not doing its jop sending gasses back up to trigger 02 sensor? All hep greatly appreciated. John Mc

Old 11-28-2011, 10:28 PM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mc
Please help - Very new to this forum. I have a 2001 Jauguar X Type 2.5 V6 with 60,000 miles on it. The Engine light came on so went to local garage whom I have been dealing with for 20 years.
The computer said fault code P1646/7 = O2 Sensor upstream Bank 1 which we replaced at around £68.00 etc. After 20 mins the light came back on. Local garage said to take to Jag dealer as they didnt want to start guessing. However I dont trust the local Jag dealer after hearing a friends recent horror story £5k worth of guess work!. Local garage did a vacuum check, eyeballed exhaust, checked hoses and all seemed to check out ok. Today I took it to another local garage where a friend worked who cleared the fault but after another 20 mins and upon first start it came back on.
For a few months prior I did have a noise which came and went coming from under the car when it was cold which wasnt drive train and sounded like a rev related rattle which has gone now ie since the light started coming on. Your thoughts on one of the Cats not doing its jop sending gasses back up to trigger 02 sensor? All hep greatly appreciated. John Mc
Do you know if your mechanic used a genuine Jaguar O2 sensor, or one of the universal ones that requires the connector to be cut off the old one and spliced on to the new sensor?

These cars don't seem to do well at all with the universal type sensors, so if that's what you got I would have your mechanic replace it with a factory genuine part instead.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Gold_04_X-Type
Do you know if your mechanic used a genuine Jaguar O2 sensor, or one of the universal ones that requires the connector to be cut off the old one and spliced on to the new sensor?

These cars don't seem to do well at all with the universal type sensors, so if that's what you got I would have your mechanic replace it with a factory genuine part instead.
Hi Nick I checked today and it was the dreaded Eurpopart - huuuuuuuuuuuuh big sigh!
Spoke to garage again bur mechanis said that it came with a direct fit plug and didnt need spliced!
hhhhhffffffffffff

Last edited by John Mc; 11-29-2011 at 06:18 AM. Reason: newer info
Old 11-29-2011, 06:24 AM
Default X Type EW light & o2 Sensor Thanks

Have just joined the forums and still finding my way around so big thanks to all good folks trying to help. Car going back in to Garage on Mon 05 Dec 2011 to take on board all points mentioned by your good selves. Any other hints gratefully accepted. Regrds to all - John Mc

Last edited by John Mc; 11-29-2011 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-29-2011, 08:41 AM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Don't forget the basics. Intake manifold leaks, especially the PCV hose and the O-rings on the actuators. Plus spark plugs and so on. Make sure everything else is right. I had a coil go bad and it caused an O2 sensor fault.