Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me get the best deal on this 06 VDP

I've been looking at this car for a few days and I test drove it on Friday:

2006 42,000 miles

Some notes:
-The car's original warranty expired in April of this year
-I offered him $18,900 including an extended warranty, tax, title....(DENIED). I guess that translated to a sales prices of $17,250 w/o tax+title.

So, they would not accept my $18,900 offer for everything. They tried to offer a 2 yr $1600 extended warranty.

What could I do now?

Old 07-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Simpson, take your money and go elsewhere. I don't know the zip code in your neck of the woods, but using my old hometown zip of 43558 (Toledo, OH), the car is only worth about $16,845 for good condition and $17,745 in excellent condition (ie, like it just came off the show room floor perfect). Go check out http://www.texascarsdirect.com. They have an 07 X-Type there with only 32K miles on it for sale for $18K. I bet you could pick that one up, tax, title, airline ticket for around $20K. Essentially the same car, one year newer and fewer miles for about the same price that you would get the one you are looking at for. Sure you will have to do a long weekend type of drive to get the car, but trust me, you will be very happy with the drive back.

I would also look at the local papers and see what you can find there. You might be surprised. The Jags are not holding their value all that well and a lot of people are letting them go for fairly cheap. A little bit of leg work on your end may save you a lot of money. Granted, Texascarsdirect also has a nice 06 S-Type that would be a hell of a steal in my opinion. Nicer car, bigger motor, what more could you want. Unfortunately, the down side is that the car has 90K miles on it. But, with the modern motors, you should be able to get another 100K miles out of that motor easily.

Your call.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is the one at the Jaguar dealer?? If so please ask them why they arent certifing it and giving you the select warranty.

*** I just check the dealers website and it is listed as Jaguar Select Pre Owned Certified Edition.. It MUST have the select warranty that would be good until 2012.. *** Maybe that salesman is just an idiot...

Have you checked the carfax on it? Is it clean?

VDP or not I think you gave them more then a fair offer for it. If you really want it, speak directly to the manager and make them the same offer and stand by it.. If they say no, tell them they are a bunch of idiots and walk out. There are plenty of other X's out there and better deals to be made..

Last edited by Pete04xtype; 07-12-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:23 PM

Yeah, I asked specifically about that select warranty when I drove it on Friday (I'm in Detroit, MI BTW--zip (48219)--only about 2-3 hour drive from Toledo I guess).

I remember checking the CarFAX and it's clean--one owner.

and wow...That S-Type 4.2 looks really good!...but, I've been trying to find cars nearby--I mean, there's actually another 06 VDP with less mileage about 3 hours from here in Illinois for about $1000 or so less...

Old 07-12-2010, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
They have an 07 X-Type there with only 32K miles on it for sale for $18K. I bet you could pick that one up, tax, title, airline ticket for around $20K. Essentially the same car, one year newer and fewer miles for about the same price that you would get the one you are looking at for.
The 07 looks great with the white/cream combo, but it doesn't have Alpine audio or the navigation screen...

Last edited by SimpsonTide985; 07-12-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Pete04xtype
This is the one at the Jaguar dealer?? If so please ask them why they arent certifing it and giving you the select warranty.

*** I just check the dealers website and it is listed as Jaguar Select Pre Owned Certified Edition.. It MUST have the select warranty that would be good until 2012.. *** Maybe that salesman is just an idiot...
What reason could there be if there is no select warranty?

Is it possible that this car just isn't certified?

Old 07-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SimpsonTide985
I've been looking at this car for a few days and I test drove it on Friday:

2006 42,000 miles

Some notes:
-The car's original warranty expired in April of this year
-I offered him $18,900 including an extended warranty, tax, title....(DENIED). I guess that translated to a sales prices of $17,250 w/o tax+title.

So, they would not accept my $18,900 offer for everything. They tried to offer a 2 yr $1600 extended warranty.

What could I do now?
I was helping a friend shop for a used X-Type a couple of months ago. We shopped only at Jaguar dealers in the Washington DC area and here is what we were able to negotiate (including the Jaguar Extended warranty):

1. 2006 X Type - 10,300 miles! (NO Navigation, Included 10 way power seats driver + passenger, 18 inch Aruba rims, Alpine audio, chrome mirrors, chrome light covers (for those who care), rear tread plates, lamb wool floor mats...) - 19,000 (all in including taxes + jaguar warranty). THIS SOLD BEFORE WE COULD BUY IT!

2. 2007 X Type - 37,000 miles (WITH Navi, piped leather stitching, Sirius radio, alpine audio but standard rims) - 19,900 (all in). THIS IS WHAT WE ENDED UP GETTING. Car was red with tan interior. Immaculate inside and out. Also, looked like no one had ever even sat in the rear seats - or they were replaced. So basically perfect!

3. 2008 X TYPE - 23,000 miles (NO Navi, NO Alpine, 17 inch rims) - 21,000. Did not get this since it was too stripped down in features otherwise was identical to the 2007.

These were all immaculate cars the price were arrived at after pretty careful bargaining and I was privy to some internal data (not that the folks we were negotiating with knew at the time). Also, these prices were all in, including the jaguar extended warranty. We basically worked with an ALL IN price.

My friend then added an ACM unit to the 2007, but we did not get a discount on that install. I was able to negotiate an ACM for my new 2007 X Type but not this time.

These prices were also at a time when the economy was worse than it is now and getting financing approved was pretty hard. So if you were willing to pay cash on a deal this size you had an edge.

My friend replaced a 2003-4 Acura TL with the X Type (mainly because the new TL are the ugliest things around) and last I checked he loves his X Type! The TL was faster, but the X Type is more fun.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:40 AM

What reason could there be if there is no select warranty?

Is it possible that this car just isn't certified?

I went onto Novi's website and its listed as Jaguar Select/Certified Pre-Owned. So it should be coming with the warranty. Call them and speak to the manager about it. They probably want full asking price and then you would get everything..

If that car was not certified then they could sell it for much cheaper.

When I bought mine in 2007 I asked about the warranty. The salesman said it comes with the car and its a select warranty. I did not pay anything extra for it and they never gave me a hassle about it.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:34 PM

Pete. When you got the select warranty in 07...that was for your 2004 X-Type?

I think I just really need help NEGOTIATING with these people.

How else can I persuade them to give me an all-in deal for less than the $19,995 sales price? The car was in excellent shape, but I did notice that the little rubber volume control on the steering wheel look like it was peeled off a little.

Last edited by SimpsonTide985; 07-13-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:57 PM

Pete. When you got the select warranty in 07...that was for your 2004 X-Type?

I think I just really need help NEGOTIATING with these people.

How else can I persuade them to give me an all-in deal for less than the $19,995 sales price? The car was in excellent shape, but I did notice that the little rubber volume control on the steering wheel look like it was peeled off a little.
I got it in 2007 and my select warranty just ran out April 2010, so I had the remaining factory warranty in 07 and the select thru 2010.

You need to be tough with them and show them you want the car and ready to purchase it. If anything deal directly with the manager of the dealership. Go over every aspect of the car, values, etc.. Offer them a fair price and then work from there... If they are not willing to budge, then ask them to put in some extras for you.. ACM, free oil changes, detailing, etc.. Make it worth your while or just walk away and find another X..

Be tough with them and dont be afraid to walk away from the deal if you dont like it..

Old 07-13-2010, 01:12 PM

Could you be a bit more specific when you say, "go over every aspect of the car..."?

Old 07-13-2010, 01:26 PM

Could you be a bit more specific when you say, "go over every aspect of the car..."?
Go over what you like about it, what you dont like about it.. If there is any imperfection like scratches, dings, etc..

Also mention the car is no longer in production, its 4 yrs old, only 2 yrs left on the select warranty. And that the car is sitting on their lot not making any money for them.

And that you want the ACM installed at little or no cost to you. Dont be afraid to play hardball, its still a buyers market.

Be like " I will take this car today, but I want it for X price. With X extras".. Show them you are serious and want the car.. Just dont show you are too eager for it..

Old 07-13-2010, 02:16 PM

Here is what they said about the select warranty:

"As a Jaguar Dealership yes we can sell a vehicle with the Select Edition Warranty; however it does not automatically come with the warranty due to us selling it. The vehicle has to pass our Select Edition inspection (Which this one did) and we have to activate (Sell) the warranty. Our cost for the Select Warranty is $2,100 for an X-Type which is not included in the price. I'm not sure if this clears anything up and sorry for the confusion."

Old 07-13-2010, 02:32 PM

There's another X-Type that I'm on the fence on:

It has the same number of miles as the 06 VDP (41k+). It is an 07 with the Luxury package (no Nav, no Alpine). They also want $19,995. The warranty on it is still good for another 4 months I believe.

Even though it has no Nav or Alpine, I much prefer the exterior and interior color combination. 2 weeks ago, I offered $16,250 + tax/title but got denied.

Last edited by SimpsonTide985; 07-13-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:45 PM

Here is what they said about the select warranty:

"As a Jaguar Dealership yes we can sell a vehicle with the Select Edition Warranty; however it does not automatically come with the warranty due to us selling it. The vehicle has to pass our Select Edition inspection (Which this one did) and we have to activate (Sell) the warranty. Our cost for the Select Warranty is $2,100 for an X-Type which is not included in the price. I'm not sure if this clears anything up and sorry for the confusion."
I just called Jaguar corporate in NJ and asked them the question about the warranty. They said it is up to the dealer to include it in the price of the car or charge extra on top of the price of the car.

If they are not offering a warranty with the car I would not pay a dime over 17,000..

Old 07-13-2010, 02:49 PM

Go over what you like about it, what you dont like about it.. If there is any imperfection like scratches, dings, etc..

Also mention the car is no longer in production, its 4 yrs old, only 2 yrs left on the select warranty. And that the car is sitting on their lot not making any money for them.

And that you want the ACM installed at little or no cost to you. Dont be afraid to play hardball, its still a buyers market.

Be like " I will take this car today, but I want it for X price. With X extras".. Show them you are serious and want the car.. Just dont show you are too eager for it..
This is the dealer that is closest to me. Their pricing at least gives a good indication of what the relative market prices are for the various models.

http://www.rosenthaljaguar.com/inven...ed=0&MakeID=18

Here is another dealer with listings in my area..

http://www.jaguarchantilly.com/inven...ed=0&MakeID=18

What jumps out? The 2007 X Types are BOTH priced the same! One is fully loaded and the other is completely stock with no options at all. So clearly, if you were buying the stripped down version you'd have more room to bargain down. Both cars are close by geographically and anyone could buy either car...but that makes it harder to bargain at the dealer selling the fully loaded car. Also, note little things like gap in prices between an x type and an s type at both dealers etc. It's much easier to make a case to the dealer when you can show them the alternative....

In the end, you have to decide if the car is worth what you're paying for it. There are trade-offs in every decision and sometimes you get lucky with a deal, but the ONLY important or rather MOST important factor is whether you feel the car is worth what you are paying for it.

Also, not sure whether if was you who asked if your 06 X Type has Stability Control. It was optional on the 06 (standard on the 07). So most likely this model DOES have the DSC capability. The only difference between the 06 and the 07 is that on the 07 you can turn it off, on the 06 it's on all the time. I can turn it off on mine, but I haven't turned it off in 3 years so far!

Good luck.

Last edited by aluni2230; 07-13-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:51 PM

I just called Jaguar corporate in NJ and asked them the question about the warranty. They said it is up to the dealer to include it in the price of the car or charge extra on top of the price of the car.

If they are not offering a warranty with the car I would not pay a dime over 17,000..
Interesting. I thought it was always included in the price and you could exclude it and cut the price....at least that was how it was with my friend who picked up a used 07 X Type.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:26 PM

So, you're basically saying, I'm screwed as far as negotiating goes?

Old 07-13-2010, 04:33 PM

So, you're basically saying, I'm screwed as far as negotiating goes?
If you really want the car and a warranty with it.. Say you will pay the asking price but I want the select warranty included.

Otherwise take it without a warranty and offer them $17,000...

Otherwise look else where for your dream X..

Old 07-13-2010, 04:51 PM

17K for an 06 with 41k miles seems very fair.

Quick Reply: Help me get the best deal on this 06 VDP