X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with my X-Type

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with my X-Type

Hello all, new to the forum... I have a 2004 Jaguar X-Type, 3.0 AWD in very good condition, with 80,000 original miles.... I love this car. However, about a month ago I noticed a slight vibration when I broke. Cut to today where the vibration was so bad, I stopped driving it a few weeks ago. Had a mechanic come over and take a look... Guess what? Brake pads are PERFECT! The rotors, although they need to be replaced, are not "so bad" that it would cause a massive front end vibration. It also seemed like the ABS was enacting ANY time I pressed the brakes...
So I pulled the fuse for the ABS, F13, still have a bad vibration when braking though! There was a few error codes that came up, now, I am not sure if the codes are coming up from no fuse, or because something is bad? The codes are...
P1000
P1637 That showed up twice
C1165 Also twice
C1175 Also twice
I am buying new rotor's, maybe that will help a little, but there is obviously something wrong here... Also, at the same time, it seemed that the speedometer stopped working as well. Not sure if that was pulling the fuse or not either?
ANY HELP OUT THERE? Any similar experience? HELP? Please!! I love this car, but do not want to get rid of. I do not have a good mechanic I can trust to tell me what is wrong and fix ONLY what is broken... Please help

Old 09-26-2013, 06:27 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Dr Bosco, yes, pulling the ABS fuse will kill the speedo as it uses the ABS wheel speed sensors to calculate the speed of the vehicle.

The C Codes that you are seeing are telling me that you have issues with the rear wheel speed sensors. C1165 is for the right hand rear wheel speed sensor failure and C1175 is for the left hand side. So, every time you go to brake, the car is seeing the rear wheels spinning at a slower rate, so, it is easing up the brake pressure on the rear brakes and applying more to the front brakes and what you are feeling is the calipers applying a lot and then none in the way of brake pressure. This is what is most likely leading to the shaking that you are seeing. It is compounded by the fact that you have slightly warped rotors. You can get new wheel speed rings for the rear of the car and have those installed and then re-install the ABS fuse and then see what you have. I bet you will find that the shaking will be dramatically reduced even before replacing the rotors. Once you get the rotors replaced, I bet you will find that the car will drive like it is new when it comes to braking.

If you want to prove to yourself what I am saying, this is fairly easy to do. What you will need to do is to jack up one of the rear corners of the car and then remove the tire. If you look, you will see 2 wires going down to behind the rotor. It will go to a little black plastic piece held in place by a single bolt. Remove the bolt and then pull the sensor (this is the ABS sensor) straight out. Then using a flash light, shine it down the hole you have created. You should see what looks kinda like the sprocket on a bike. If you don't see one (or only see parts of it), then you have just confirmed what I have told you.

Any mechanic should be able to do this same check for you. The ABS speed rings are known for rusting and falling into pieces on this car. I would venture to guess you either ran for awhile with the one code or you hit a really good pothole (or the like) and just happened to break both of the rings at the same time.

If you need more info, please let me know. I will explain it however it takes so you get what is going on.

The following users liked this post:
DrBosco (09-28-2013)
Old 09-27-2013, 12:23 PM
Default Wow Thermo!!!!!

Thanks man, You are fantastic!!!! I will do exactly what you say and let you know what's up! Thank you so much for the details, and the quick response!!!

Old 09-28-2013, 08:22 PM
Default Thermo, Take a look please when you get a chance...

So I tried doing searches on the wheel speed rings that you spoke of. Would they have another name? Would they be called Wheel Speed Sensors? Here is a pic of what I have been able to find... are these what you are talking about? I have included the 2 pics as attachments. Please tell me what you think. Thank You.

Attached Thumbnails Help with my X-Type-abs-1.jpg   Help with my X-Type-abs-2.jpg  
Old 09-29-2013, 09:51 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Dr Bosco, yes, those look about right. When you pull off the wheel, there will only be 2 wires in the area. So, going to the wrong part is about next to impossible. They are not all that big, hence why I say to follow the wires. As you can get from the picture, the flattened portion of the sensor (top part), that is what actually picks up the speed ring inside the wheel bearing. So, you will need to pull the sensor straight out as it sits inside of a hole that is drilled into the spindle for the rear suspension.

While you are there, it will be a good check just to look at the wiring to make sure that it is not damaged. Some members have seen the wiring get damaged, but a majority are the bad rings.