X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help PCM location!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help PCM location!

Hello everyone. I have a jaguar x-type 2002, and have been having problems since we bought it. One of the guys that's helping me fix it asked me to see if i can find where exactly the PCM computer is located in this specific model and where its connections are.
So if anyone could help me it is appreciated, or also if you have a diagram showing the wiring and location of the different componets that'd be even better.
Thank you!

Old 08-31-2010, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by brrsh
Hello everyone. I have a jaguar x-type 2002, and have been having problems since we bought it. One of the guys that's helping me fix it asked me to see if i can find where exactly the PCM computer is located in this specific model and where its connections are.
So if anyone could help me it is appreciated, or also if you have a diagram showing the wiring and location of the different componets that'd be even better.
Thank you!
Problems,,,,please to explain.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:43 AM

well the problems are many. The car has had the check engine light on forever. They were low bank 1 and bank 2 whatever the codes are i don't remember but after replacing the catalytic converter and all the o2 sensors, and some other work ( this is my sisters car so i don't know all the details on the work that was done) but the codes came back after resetting the computer so now the guy wants to look to see if there is an electrical problem. The main problem with the car however is that at random it will shake like crazy ( like or example turning a stick shift off while in gear with no clutch) so when you give it gas it wants to go but can't and it shakes and chokes until you let it go and the car gets stabilized. It's wierd to explain. But he wants to know where the computer PCM is located on the car so that he can check the electrical connections.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:18 AM

Also found out another code P1776 which i guess is what he is worried about. Anyone care to elaborate on this code? Thank you.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

When you say "low bank 1 and bank 2", do you really mean "bank 1 lean" and "bank 2 lean"? If so, you have a vacuum leak, which is a common problem. Do a search on "vacuum leak", "P0171" or "P0174" to find the most common causes and relatively simple solutions.

Also "P1776" doesn't appear to be a valid code.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:35 PM

Hi as for the first two codes you are right, and we have checked for leaks and also replaced the catalytic converter and all O2 sensors, that's why i didn't pay much attention to them.
As for the p1776 it is a valid code.
it reads. Jaguar: Ignition Retard Request Duration.
But i have no idea what that means.
From what i've researched it has something to do with the computer telling the car when to shift, but i'm not completely sure of this. That;s why i'm asking.

I think the problem with the violent jerking on the car when speeding up is related to this code.

That is why i wanted to know the location of the PCM (or TCM or ECM) whichever handles this so that we can check the connections to see if it's an electrical problem, a software problem, or just a bad PCM.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

1. The ECM (Engine Control Module) is located under the hood, between the passenger-side strut tower and the fire wall. Look for the black connector and tamper-resistant screw that attaches the connector to the ECM (as that's about all you can easily see).

2. Hmmm. P1776 doesn't exit in the DTC list published in my copy of JTIS. What tool are you using to read this code?

3. From your description of the code, "Ignition Retard Request Duration", I would hazard to guess that this has something to do with stability or traction control. For example, the ECM (or some other controller) may actively retard ignition timing in order to reduce engine power to improve stability or limit wheel spin. Perhaps the ECM flags a fault if the command to retard timing persists too long. I doubt this would be the root cause of "violent jerking" you're experiencing since I would expect that the changes in engine power required to improve handling would be more subtle.

4. If you still have the P0171 and/or P0174 codes, I would fix that issue first. Again, the most likely problem is a vacuum leak. Otherwise, a lean condition could possibly be caused by a dirty or defective Mass Airflow Sensor. You could try cleaning the MAF.

Last edited by MarkC; 09-03-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

thas a fuel system probelms.....or theres tube that gets cracked that needs to be replaced