Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   Help please (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/help-please-196702/)

harryxtype 02-12-2018 11:24 AM

Help please

I have a 2.2 diesel X Type estate. 2009

This problem has happened three times before but has suddenly rectified itself whilst being tested on the diagnostic so the fault was never found. The diagnostic computer showed no faults. The fuel rail pressure is normal in the few seconds it fires up.

The problem is that the car drives fine but then all of a sudden for no reason when you stop and then try to start the engine it bursts into life as normal but immediately dies after 1 or 2 seconds.

In the last couple of months I have put in a new battery, put in a bosch fuel filter, changed the MAF, changed the Camshaft sensor, cleaned out the EGR (which wasn't dirty), the fuel cut off has not triggered, but now it will start every time but will then immediately die after a couple of seconds.

So until I can find out why it bursts into life then immediately dies Im not going anywhere.

Any suggestions anyone ?

Man on the hill 02-12-2018 04:46 PM

Ideally you would need to see live data of all the sensors.
Crankshaft sensor is a possibility as these are known to do this type of fault, also swarf can collect on this sensor too.
Another possibility in the pump inlet metering valve.

Also check carefully the wiring/connectors of the common rail pressure sensor.

Paul.

harryxtype 02-12-2018 09:48 PM

Hi Paul, thanks for the advice, I have ordered a crankshaft sensor so I will put that in and see if it helps. Last time this fault occurred a friend (mechanic) connected his diagnostic computer and tested everything one by one and in the couple of seconds when the engine burst into life no faults were found. Then all of a sudden it burst into life and ran as normal for a couple of weeks until it happened again. Ill check the wiring too.

harryxtype 02-18-2018 05:53 AM

Hi, Sorry to sound dim, I'm normally pretty good around an engine but I have been looking for the crankshaft sensor for over an hour with a torch but I can't find it. Can anyone point me towards a diagram or a photo please ?

PanamaJag 02-18-2018 06:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Looked at the shop manual for gas engines and shows the Crankshaft Position Sensor to be near the main flywheel.

Do not have a manual for diesels, but probably in a similar location...

Attachment 210419

Man on the hill 02-18-2018 08:16 AM

Harry,
On the left hand side of the engine, follow the egr pipe back that goes to a flange of the egr cooler, directly under this flange you will see the crank sensor plug on the gearbox/clutch bell housing.

Paul.

avern1 02-18-2018 08:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attached is the part blow up from the SNG Barratt cataolg so you can get a visual of what you are searching for. It doesn't appear from the blow up to be mounted on the rear of the engine.

Man on the hill 02-18-2018 08:57 AM

The catalogue does not show the relative position of the crank sensor.
When looking at the clutch bell housing to engine block mating bolts, the sensor is at approx 1 o' clock, when looking from the left hand side wing, and it is directly under the egr cooler flange.

Paul.

harryxtype 02-19-2018 03:24 AM

Hi Man on the hill. still can't see it, when you say 'left hand side' is that looking from the front of the car or from inside the car ?

The EGR is on the left of the car as looking from the front but I can't see anything underneath it, do I have to take out the EGR ?

Thanks
Harry

Dell Gailey 02-19-2018 03:31 AM

Left and right in car speak are always as if you are sitting in the car.

Dell Gailey 02-19-2018 04:28 AM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...38a9465f6e.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...54dd7d1ba8.jpg

harryxtype 02-19-2018 05:02 AM

Thanks for your help,

I have removed the air filter cover and hoses and now I can see the little tinker. Just have to get it out and change it.

harryxtype 02-19-2018 06:40 AM

Well that was all a waste of time !
The new Crankshaft sensor made no difference.

She fires up, runs for about 2 or 3 seconds then dies. Over and over.

So heres a list of stuff I have tried:
sealed windscreen to stop water dripping on ECU cables
Removed ECU to check for water damage - none
New Varta Silver Dynamic Battery, 800Ah cranks at about 11v
Remove and clean EGR (wasn't dirty)
Remove fuel tank cap to check for debris or blocked intake (none)
New Bosch fuel filter, (cut open old one which had no debris)
New MAF
New Cam sensor
New Crank sensor.
Every step has made no difference whatsoever. She fires up first time then dies after a couple of seconds.
The engine warning light goes off as she fires up.

Any ideas anyone ???
Feeling a bit glum here.

harryxtype 02-19-2018 06:42 AM

When the diagnostic computer was on it the fuel rail was normal pressure when she fired up and died

Man on the hill 02-19-2018 08:04 AM

If the egr valve is not closed off properly, it will cause the symptoms you describe.
Cleaning the egr does not guarantee that the valve is seating properly.
I assumed you had checked the valve when cleaning it.
Either blank it or replace then I expect it to be sorted.

Paul.

harryxtype 02-19-2018 08:21 AM

I don't bloody believe it !!!!!!

I slipped a piece of metal in the EGR to block it off and it fired up and is running as sweet as a nut.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, a million kisses Mr Man on the Hill, My wife wants your babies !!!!

harryxtype 02-19-2018 08:46 AM

Ah slight problem

harryxtype 02-19-2018 09:10 AM

So now she fires up and ticks over fine,

but on a test drive starts misfiring around 2000 revs and then cuts out. Fires up fine again and then cuts out about 2000 revs, when stationary she revs fine up to 2000 revs then misfires and cuts out, and now the engine warning lights is on.

Any thoughts Please ?

Thang Nguyen 02-19-2018 11:35 AM

Harryxtype, the problem was in the air intake system, did you replace the air fiter, it's seem like some thing blocked the air in take; either the butter fly in the throttle body was tuck, or air leak in air intake hoses after MAF sensor, check those hose clams to see if they are fited and tight.

Man on the hill 02-19-2018 12:27 PM

The 2.2d does not have any butterfly valve in the intake, it has no restriction.
If you were to now read the error codes, you will see insufficient egr flow, which is expected and will bring on the eml, it is the other error codes that will be of interest.

Have you carefully checked connectors and wiring that you have moved/changed before ?

It sounds like a possible weak sensor output, the crank sensor is the touchy one regarding position height, whilst I have not changed one yet, I believe the bracket/clamp allows limited height movement to be set on the bolt ?
I seem to remember the manual saying about checking that the sensor does not contact the flywheel.

Reading the codes would be a smart move now, one down one to go !

Paul.