X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help...strange battery/electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help...strange battery/electrical issue

My '02 2.5 automatic S-type has the battery light pop on every two or three days. It will stop if I turn the engine off and start again. I have also noticed a very slight humming sound inside the cabin when the engine is off and the key is removed. I stopped yesterday at Autozone on the way home to have them check it out. They said the battery and alternator seem fine, but the tech burned his finger when he touched the battery at the positive post. He said that should happen.

I've been reading about how the battery cables are notoriously bad in these cars. Anybody have a suggestion what might be the problem? A customer inside Autozone said maybe the alternator is kicking out too much juice. He said his car had that issue in the past. I did just have to replace the HID bulb and balast (sp?) on one side a few weeks ago. Could these issues all be related? I'm a complete novice when it comes to electrical. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-22-2013, 11:18 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffmartinaz
My '02 2.5 automatic S-type has the battery light pop on every two or three days. It will stop if I turn the engine off and start again. I have also noticed a very slight humming sound inside the cabin when the engine is off and the key is removed. I stopped yesterday at Autozone on the way home to have them check it out. They said the battery and alternator seem fine, but the tech burned his finger when he touched the battery at the positive post. He said that should happen.

I've been reading about how the battery cables are notoriously bad in these cars. Anybody have a suggestion what might be the problem? A customer inside Autozone said maybe the alternator is kicking out too much juice. He said his car had that issue in the past. I did just have to replace the HID bulb and balast (sp?) on one side a few weeks ago. Could these issues all be related? I'm a complete novice when it comes to electrical. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
The humming sound inside the cabin is normal. There is a little fan behind a vent on the dash, just to the right of the steering wheel. I'm not sure it's purpose, something to do with humidty or whatever. Anyway, when it gets dust in it, it will make a humming noise. Mine does the same thing. Others have quieted it by using compressed air or WD40.

The following users liked this post:
jeffmartinaz (05-22-2013)
Old 05-22-2013, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by oldpunk
The humming sound inside the cabin is normal. There is a little fan behind a vent on the dash, just to the right of the steering wheel. I'm not sure it's purpose, something to do with humidty or whatever. Anyway, when it gets dust in it, it will make a humming noise. Mine does the same thing. Others have quieted it by using compressed air or WD40.
Thanks! That makes me feel a little better. I was assuming the humming was some kind of electrical "overload" issue.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:31 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

Jeff, like was mentioned ,the humming sound is normal and do not worry about that.

As for the voltage issue, I would recommend spending about $40 or so and getting yourself 2 new electrical cables that run from the battery to the next point. A battery terminal that is too hot to touch is a sign of a high resistance connection and a sign of something that is not correct. You can buy the Jaguar specific cables, but the generic ones from the auto parts store will do you just as good and will be much cheaper. You may find it easier to remove the cables and then take them in vice trying to have the store cross reference what cable is required for your car. But, this would require you to either have a second vehicle or have someone give you a ride in their car.

Start with that and then see what you have at that point.

The following users liked this post:
jeffmartinaz (05-22-2013)
Old 05-22-2013, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Jeff, like was mentioned ,the humming sound is normal and do not worry about that.

As for the voltage issue, I would recommend spending about $40 or so and getting yourself 2 new electrical cables that run from the battery to the next point. A battery terminal that is too hot to touch is a sign of a high resistance connection and a sign of something that is not correct. You can buy the Jaguar specific cables, but the generic ones from the auto parts store will do you just as good and will be much cheaper. You may find it easier to remove the cables and then take them in vice trying to have the store cross reference what cable is required for your car. But, this would require you to either have a second vehicle or have someone give you a ride in their car.

Start with that and then see what you have at that point.
Sounds like a plan. I looked at them tonight, and like anything on a car that's two years old they could use replacing anyway. Let's see what happens then and work up from that point. Thanks for the advice.