X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID kit help please! ASAP!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 06:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HID kit help please! ASAP!!

Installing HID kit on my 2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 halogen equipped car. Got the 35w ballasts as I included pics of and the 35w bulbs. I can not figure out how the heck they plug in though?!?!
I see the individual wiring harnesses for the bulbs inside the headlight assembly, those are easy to take out and replace with the HID's, but when I get to the ballast plug in, it seems like nothing is going to fit into the kit I got. I bought 4 ballasts, one for each bulb since I figured they each needed one, is this correct? Please help as soon as possible! I need to finish this for work tomorrow to have working lights and I leave at 3:40 am PST tomorrow! How do these fit in, specifically! Help me please anyone who can!
Here are pics:

Here is what I bought, 35w Xentec HID ballast.

Another pic of the lights connected to the ballast.

This is the other connector port on this ballast, but it doesn't seem to fit in anywhere on the cars wiring for the headlights.

Another pic.

Another.

Here is the wiring harness that connects the headlights to the electrical system of the car. I assume they connect though here somehow but it doesn't seem to match up to me, am I crazy?

Old 07-07-2016, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 393 Likes on 289 Posts

in your pic you have a plug with a brown and yellow wire use that for grounds and hot,you always buy the 55w kits they last longer and way better with illumination
your ballast will not last long ,just a heads up

Old 07-07-2016, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by dennis black
in your pic you have a plug with a brown and yellow wire use that for grounds and hot,you always buy the 55w kits they last longer and way better with illumination
I don't follow what you mean here, what exactly do I plug into that? Which cables in my pics go where?

Old 07-08-2016, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Converting to HID is not a plug and play. You have to cut and splice the wiring. The kit supplier should have provided plugs for the install that have wires for splicing to the existing wiring.
You will need to go to the web site below and find the wiring diagram for the Model Year of your car and download it so you can determine which wire is for which light.

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Old 07-08-2016, 06:54 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Georgio, like was mentioned, on our cars, it is not a simple "unplug this, plug it in here, and you are done". What you will need to do is to look at the two wires that went to the old low/dip beam headlight (brown and yellow as I recall). Now, if you look in the kit, there should have been a plug with 2 spade connectors attached to it that will fit into the ballast opening that you can't seem to make work. Plug the red wire into the terminal with the brown wire and the black wire into the yellow wire terminal. The other end will plug into the ballast. See if the light turns on. If no, then reverse the wires at the brown and yellow plug and try again.

Like others mention, it is better to cut the old plug off and hard wire the wiring inside the housing to the new connector to minimize electrical losses (HIDs are sensitive to any voltage drop). Make sure to keep this connection inside the headlight housing. This is where I have found that if you drill a 3/4" hole in the back of the headlight housing (removable cover), there is a grommet that comes with most kits that will fit in that hole and allow the wires to move in and out of the headlight housing while keeping it water tight.

Not to put down the Xenarc ballasts (I have owned 2 sets), you can plan on after about a year of use, the ballasts failing on you. That is my experience with them. I would recommend finding some Maxlux ballasts and swapping out the Xenarc ballasts with them. The Maxlux ballasts will outlast the car. The Xenarc bulbs are fine as long as you remember not to let your bare hands touch the glass. Any sort of oil/dirt on the glass can shorten the bulb life.

If you need more help, let me know. I have done "a few" of the light kits and can explain how to get around most of the shortfalls that people have.

The following users liked this post:
Thang Nguyen (09-21-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 10:04 PM

In lieu of new information regarding the not so simple installation haha, I have decided to opt out of this install in favor of a quick any easy fix. Phillips makes a standard H1 bulb that burns at a more 'pure' white temperature rather than yellow, and I've used them in the past with great results. The ease of plug and play is hard to beat and they cost about the same once I return my HID kit.
Link: H1 USA 100 Philips Genuine Diamond Vision 5000K Headlight Bulbs Xenon Upgrade | eBay

They're actually very white in person and look quite similar to HID's, without the installation hassle or blinding effect for other cars.
Any issues with using them on the jags?

Old 07-09-2016, 08:49 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

georgio, as long as the bulbs are 55W halogen bulbs, all will be fine. You get your hands on some bulbs that are 80W or 100W, then you can start having some really major issues. But, looking at your link, these are 55W bulbs, so, all is good.

On a side note, these bulbs are only rated at 800 lumen (a lumen is a measure of light intensity). 35W HID bulbs are rated at 3200 lumen each. So, while I am not pushing you to put in HID bulbs, if you are after more light, HID is the way to go.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:12 AM

Oh yeah for sure thermo, they are on par with regular halogen bulbs as far as brightness but the color is what I'm after. A better looking white is what I want, not yellow like the stock bulbs are. Thanks for the help! Anyone who wants to buy all the kit pieces I have now I just want to get rid of them so it's a good deal. 4 ballasts, 4 bulbs and fog lights with the wiring to everything. Only 40 bucks.